PDA

View Full Version : How do you get started?

Radosny Matka
03-23-2005, 03:10 PM
and PLEASE, don't tell me to go read a bunch of websites. It's soooo overwhelming. :/ My son is 4, and I am seriously considering hs'ing him. My dh is on the fence. I just don't know where to start. How do I learn about the trillion different ciriculums? How do I decide what is right for us? How do I get organized? I wish there was a huge home-schooling expo I could go to - to look at different stuff, learn, explore. I feel so lost...

Sara
03-23-2005, 06:34 PM
Sara,

Well, first of all, I would recommend getting a few books. A good all-around book that I like is Homeschooling: The Early Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 3- to 8- Year-Old Child (http://Homeschooling: The Early Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 3- to 8- Year-Old Child) by Lindo Dobson. This was one of the first HSing books that I read.

Two good books that review tons of different curriculum include:
Mary Pride's Complete Guide to Getting Started in Homeschooling (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0736909184
)
and
Christian Home Educators' Curriculum Manual (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0929320131)
Both of these can be a little overwhelming just because they contain so much information, but they can also be very helpful in learning about the many different options available to you.

Perhaps your library has one or more of these books that you could check out. Honestly, when I was just beginning, I just read anything that I could get my hands on and through some trial and error am starting to figure out what works for us as far as curriculum.

And certainly ask here if you have any specific questions that we might be able to answer! That's great that you are considering HSing! :tu

Heather
03-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Here is a link to different Homeschool conferences/conventions/fairs listed by state (not sure where you are):

http://www.homeschoollearning.com/conventions/2005_homeschool_conferences.pdf

I know NC has a big conference & bookfair that I HOPE to attend, but it is only a month before my due date - so we will see.. :(

I'm new to this too, but will be starting with an 8 year old in the fall. I've been researching for awhile - it can be VERY overwheming if you let it.

:hug

hearttender4
03-23-2005, 06:56 PM
If you want specific practical advice on the academic part, I'd order some Explode the Code, some beginning reader books or Pathway reader, a Handwriting Without Tears printing workbook, and a math program.

Sara
03-23-2005, 07:58 PM
Sara,

Yes, I would second the recommendation for Handwriting Without Tears and Explode the Code (at 4yo, I *think* you'd want Get Read, Get Set, Go For The Code). Both are inexpensive and FUN! :tu

Sandy
03-23-2005, 08:57 PM
If you can make it to a convention...go! You'll learn SOOOOO much and there's always a vendor's hall where you can explore and shop to your heart's content.

You've gotten some really good suggestions here as far as curriculum and book choices. Really it's a matter of "jumping in" and getting your feet wet.

Radosny Matka
03-24-2005, 11:54 AM
Thank you all sooooo much. This is such great info!

fourbygrace
03-24-2005, 11:12 PM
Sara,

I don't know if you have a good public library nearby, but I have found some good homeschool books at the library so you don't hav to buy books that you may not want to own.

I second the other Sara's recommendation : Homeschooling: The Early Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 3- to 8- Year-Old Child by Linda Dobson. I just checked it out at the library last week and it is really good. I also recommend Lisa Whelchel's book So You're Thinking About Homeschooling? I read this book and she has stories from families using all the different methods and philosophies, so you could get a real good overview of the different methods. I got this at my library too. (Her parenting books are awful, VERY punitive, but this homeschooling book was great!)

My last recommendation is Pray, Pray, Pray for God's wisdom as you make desicions!

Blessings,
Mary

Sara
03-25-2005, 07:12 AM
Mary - That is good to know that Lisa Whelchel's HSing book is good. I've heard good things about it, but only from people who also liked "Creative Corrections" and so I wasn't sure if I should recommend it.

Teribear
03-26-2005, 10:17 AM
Sara,

My first and most honest answer is that you "started" 4 years ago. Homeschooling, for me, is simply a continuation of mothering my child past what the government decided was "school aged". Just as you were there facilitating as your child learned to walk, to talk, to clothe and feed themselves, you continue to be there to facilitate as they learn to read, to do math, to speak and write with proper grammer (which I can't spell), to think and reason and problem solve. You are already "homeschooling"...you're just looking for the best way to take it to the next level so to speak.

There are a multitude of styles and philosophies. My first suggestion for books (to request at the library) is not about methods or philosophies of homeschooling but rather about learning styles. START with Cynthia Tobias ... "The Way They Learn" and figure out what your child's learning style is and what YOUR learning style is. Mine and my childs are VERY different and we tend to teach to our own learning style. Once you have that information it is easier to rule out methods and philosophies that obviously don't mesh with your child's learning style and/or your teaching style.

Now that your list is narrowed down some do go check out those curriculum fairs. But understand that you WILL make mistakes these first years and that there will be some "wasted" money and time. That's ok. It's part of the "tuition" to the "college of life". I explained it to DH this way...if we were sending her to private school it would cost us over 5K/year...as long as I don't match that in annual curriculum mistakes we're money ahead. Public school ends up costing more than most people I know spend a year in curriculum by the time you factor in money for uniforms, supplies, fees for this and that.

You have been teaching your child since the day they entered the world. You can continue to do so. God equips those he calls. You'll do great.

Chris3jam
03-26-2005, 10:46 AM
But understand that you WILL make mistakes these first years and that there will be some "wasted" money and time. That's ok. It's part of the "tuition" to the "college of life". I explained it to DH this way...if we were sending her to private school it would cost us over 5K/year...as long as I don't match that in annual curriculum mistakes we're money ahead. Public school ends up costing more than most people I know spend a year in curriculum by the time you factor in money for uniforms, supplies, fees for this and that.

I agree! I was talking with a former teacher once, trying to organize my thoughts, and getting a feel for this whole "homeschooling" thing (I was SO afraid I should have been doing SO much more!). After she had talked to me for a while, I said, "So, in summary, really, just keep doing what we've been doing; answering their questions, talking about stuff, coloring, etc. It seems like the only thing that changes are the books I read to them and that we will discuss them a little more." She agreed. The only thing that really changes as they get older are the books they read. :idea That's when I started to relax and kind of "get it" a little more.

Also, I've NEVER been able to passively read to the kids. They ask questions, I explain, I ask them questions, etc. (we get a whole discourse going) It's all learning.

Sorry I sound so rambly today. . . . I hope I wasn't TOO confusing (I have what I call AF brain today -- all the blood has seeped out of my brain, and I can't think too well! :))

Oh, and if I could recomment one book to read, it would be "Jesus Didn't Use Worksheets". (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1888842008/qid=1111859082/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-1362417-9376655?v=glance&s=books). It's more for somewhat older children, but I've been able to apply it to mine.