PDA

View Full Version : un/homeschooling internationally without a library?

puah
03-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Hi,

We are preparing to move overseas to an area where we will not have access to a library, and we will begin hs/us at some point. Our kids are just 3 and 1, but we are planning to begin some preK this Fall. I think our 3yo will LOVE it, she loves to read and do schoolish stuff. We have looked into some curriculum ideas and are leaning towards the Sonlight comprehensive since everything is included, but are open to other ideas. I really like the idea of unschooling, but am scared of doing it without a library. Any thoughts?

Sara
03-23-2005, 06:40 PM
What about putting money towards the Sonlight cores and building your own library that way? Obviously it wouldn't be the same as having a library that covers everything, but the Sonlight books are very rich and contain so much wonderful information. The preK books that we have are still some of the most well-loved and well-used books in our home. If you're leaning toward unschooling, perhaps just go with the Core instead of the comprehensive and then just pick up some inexpensive workbooks for your kids to use as they desire. Sam's Club has some great preK workbooks that my dd has enjoyed when she goes through a workbook phase.

And if you're looking to build your personal library, Five in a Row has great book lists.
http://www.fiveinarow.com/before/booklist.html
http://www.fiveinarow.com/fiar/booklist.html
The FIAR books are also some of the most beloved in our personal collection of books.

HTH and good luck! :)

puah
03-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Sara,

that is what I've been leaning towards, so it's good to hear someone else come up with the same idea :tu i've been following your post about FIAR vs Sonlight and am very interested to read opinions. I just wish I could SEE both guides in person before we leave but our hs conference will happen after we're gone... I'm leaning towards the FIAR at first (this year) and Sonlight later on, but maybe should go ahead and get the Sonlight core? Still thinking and overwhelmed! Thanks for your input

Sara
03-23-2005, 07:54 PM
Well, if you can swing it financially, I really don't think you could go wrong with getting FIAR Volume 1 and the books and also Sonlight preK. When we're doing FIAR and need extra information, we are often able to obtain that information from our Sonlight books. And with FIAR, even if you don't end up totally following the manual, I'm sure you'll still get a lot of use out of the books because they really are wonderful books. I'm just thinking it might be cheaper for you if you order before you go so that you don't have to pay high shipping fees??

The cheapest place that I have found to purchase FIAR is at The Bookpeddler (http://www.bookpeddler.us/catalog/unit-studies-prepared-curriculum-/five-in-a-row-series-books/cat_five-in-a-row-volume-1-books.html) and you can get the manuals and the books there which makes for convenient shopping.

HTH and I hope that I didn't confuse you even more by bringing FIAR in the conversation! :think

Sandy
03-23-2005, 08:58 PM
You can also find FRIAR frequently on the sale boards at www.vegsource.com/homeschool.

jujubnme
03-24-2005, 09:26 AM
I think building your own "essentials" library is a great idea. :tu Will you have internet access? If you do, that will multiply possibilities as well.

puah
03-24-2005, 11:23 AM
thanks for the ideas! Yes, we will have internet access. Is BFIAR of FIAR better for a 'mature' three year old?

TulipMama
03-26-2005, 08:44 AM
Me, me, me! My oldest son, who does not remember the library, has been talking nonstop about when we move to the States and he can go to the library! *L*

We brought books, but not as many as I wish we had. We were really blessed to be able to buy used, from a family that was leaving, a bunch of Sonlight books. (*L* Yep, another Sonlight fan for international families!)

We've actually acquired quite a library here. Mostly buying books from people returning to the States. Also, there is a small English langauge bookstore (and might be where you are going--depends, of course.) It carries mostly classics, a few modern British novels, and a couple of popular books. Very few kids books. We've also been really blessed that there is a used book exchange--the selection varies (sometimes only sports, John Grisham and p8rn books, othertimes great books!)

If you will be in a university city or a capital city, it's likely that you'll be able to get some English language books. But, pretty much, you'll have to rely on bringing things from the States or having visitors bring kids' books.

I've had some homeschooling friends very kindly ship me things they are no longer using. *mush, mush* It made a big difference.

Anyway. . . hope this helps. Where are you moving, if you don't mind me asking? PM me if you want. *grin*

ShangriLewis
03-26-2005, 03:18 PM
I would probably use sonlight in this instance, too. If you have the money for it. Honey for a Chid's Heart is a great guide for books to read. I can't imagine. How many books can you take with you? I would take so many =) I cannot imagine living without my library. FIAR is a really fun resource and the books are awesome. If you bought FIAR and all it's book you would have a wonderful library. We use KONOS, but I think you would want to go through the first volume and then order all the books and make a big box of supplies for different activities. I still firmly believe that Konos is a great system and you get much more bang for your buck then sonlight.

Heather