PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide - Sonlight vs. FIAR

Sara
03-21-2005, 10:22 AM
Well, now that we've decided to definitely continue HSing, I have another dilemma - curriculum! We've used both Sonlight and FIAR. This year for K we've been using FIAR, but I'm considering using Sonlight next year for first grade. I just can't decide, though!

I would love some input from anyone who used either of these (and especially someone who has used both!).

TIA!

Miss Priss
03-21-2005, 10:46 AM
We've used FIAR and am currently using Sonlight. We like both. Sonlight has a lot more structure, things are pretty laid out for you. However, there isn't the art activities included, and the other material doesn't wrap around the main text like FIAR. Sonlight is not as much of a unit study like I would consider FIAR (only a book study IYKWIM). I got pretty overwhelmed doing FIAR doing the school year because of the amount of planning involved- but that might not bother you. I think FIAR is more fun, and we're going to do FIAR over the summers when Mommy can relax a little about academic stuff.

erinee
03-21-2005, 10:53 AM
I'm using FIAR, with a combination of Charlotte Mason, Miquon for math, and Pathways for phonics. I like the flexibility of FIAR and the fact that there is very, very little cost or planning involved, but there were a few things I wanted to be good and sure we "got", KWIM? So I'm supplementing with a few other things.

Sara
03-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Hi, Julie!

Which Core are you using? Are your girls enjoying the books? Do you find any of them to be too challenging or difficult? Are you spending about the same amount of time on school or does Sonlight take longer? How much time do you spend planning?

Sorry to bombard you with questions - I'm just trying to figure out some of the differences. We have used Sonlight in the past, but it was back when preK didn't even have the IG, so I know that probably doesn't compare too well with Core 1, which is what we'd be getting.

Thanks!!

Sara
03-21-2005, 12:36 PM
p.s. What is your plan next year, Julie? I saw in the materials thread that it is going to change!

fourbygrace
03-21-2005, 01:54 PM
Sara,

I typed a great reply and then when I went to post it, I had been "timed out" and it disappeared. :rolleyes So. . here I go with a totally different reply! I cannot remember some of the things I wanted to say.

We have used FIAR and are currently using Sonlight. I like both curriculums. My original plan was to do FIAR for K and 1st grade and then do Sonlight for 2nd grade. I decided to do Sonlight this year for Prek for my dd and 1st grade for my ds. We are using the PreK Core because I want to keep them together. We will start Core K in the fall for K and 2nd grade. I will use the 2nd grade readers for my 7 year old, as he is reading fluently. II think the Core K books are perfect for 1st grade. Some of the books books deal with fairly mature subject matter (war, Nazi Germany) and my children were not ready for that this year. However, I also ordered Core 1 already and the Read-Alouds don't seem any more "intense" than Core K. We are also going to try to do some FIAR during the summer because we do not take a "Summer Break".

I love the books for FIAR. I believe that children can learn much from a wonderful, inspiring picture book. I do not want my children to miss out on some of those wonderful books. When they are 12, it will be too late to go back and have them enjoy those picture books. There is plenty of time to read chapter books as they get older. However, I found that the planning time was too much for me with my new baby last March, so I decided to switch to Sonlight this year. I know that Jane Claire Lambert says that FIAR is complete just as it is in the book, but I felt that it was not enough for my family. I spent a lot of time searching for books to supplement each FIAR book and adding activities from the FIAR message boards.

Sonlight has wonderful books too, I like that Sonlight is missions-minded. We are pretty relaxed in our approach, and I do not follow the IG exactly, but I could if I wanted to have more structure. I mostly use it for the order to read the books and for ideas for discussion. I also like their Bible curriculum and we really like the Bible memory songs. ( We are using some of the Core K books already as we zoomed through the PreK ones) I don't mind that there are not as many activities or art with Sonlight. I have found that my children will act out the stories they hear while playing and my 7 year old will make up art projects and activities himself. I don't know if this reply will really help you or not, but I am finding myself less stressed with Sonlight because it is all laid out for me and I don't have to spend time gathering materials and supplemental books. I have more time to focus on life as a family as well.

Please feel free to PM me if you have specific questions about anything.

Blessings,
Mary

TestifyToLove
03-21-2005, 02:45 PM
We are starting Sonlight for the fall. We tried Calvert and didn't like it at all, too much planning and structure and just no room for being flexible in it. This year, we've instead gone back to the basics, because ds really needed that to catch up from his early years. Starting this summer, I'm getting the Core1/2 program for him and putting him through Sonlight alone. DH has specifically requested that I start dd next year rather than this year and continue her with the basics for first grade before moving into Sonlight.

I dunno. I've just never been interested in FIAR. So, I've never considered doing it with my kids.

lenswyf
03-21-2005, 04:35 PM
We're using Sonlight because I didn't want to spend a lot of time planning. We've been very pleased with it and will continue next year for first grade. But I agree with the previous poster about the FIAR books. I've got that list handy because we're going through all the read-alouds faster than the Sonlight schedule.

Miss Priss
03-22-2005, 06:04 PM
Hi, Julie!

Which Core are you using? Are your girls enjoying the books? Do you find any of them to be too challenging or difficult? Are you spending about the same amount of time on school or does Sonlight take longer? How much time do you spend planning?

You're not bombarding me, that's what these forums are for! :)
We're using Core 1, and the girls LOVE the books. Liberty reads A LOT in her spare time, and more than once I've pulled a book to use with Sonlight and I'll hear, "Oh, yay! I read that a few weeks ago and it's great!" :lol
I think the level is just right for between my 2nd grader and 1st grader. I think Sonlight takes more time to *do* than FIAR, mainly because I'm doing more reading out loud to the kids- with FIAR, I read the book, and a little of whatever supplementary books we got each day, and then did the activities. If you don't like to read aloud, do NOT go with Sonlight, LOL. I don't mind reading aloud, but I detest planning- and I don't do much of it at all. On days when I'm really on top of things, I take a look at the IG the night before and mark my pages, get things out in the order I want to do them the next day. On most days, I take a quick look at the IG before I get the books out to read. :smile

Miss Priss
03-22-2005, 06:10 PM
p.s. What is your plan next year, Julie? I saw in the materials thread that it is going to change!

Well, I've been having a lot of issues being able to do school with the other ones because of my extremely active 4yo. There are some things I do with her now, but she wants 100% FULL attention from me, but can't yet sit still while I'm reading the Sonlight. She also can't keep focused on an activity for long enought to allow me to help the other girls with thier math or spelling or reading w/out interruption every 2 minutes of so. So, next year, while I'm trying to work with the older girls where they need help, I'm going to stick her in front of the TV- :surprised- with BJU HomeSat pre-K. :mrgreen
And, when I'm working with her, the other girls will take some of their subjects through HomeSat as well. I'm hoping it will relieve me some. The baby will be running and getting into everything by then, so I really don't see the situation improving wrt giving them more of me during school time next year.
We're going to try it and see how it goes.