Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Baby Wearing (Slings, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Baby Wearing (Slings, Etc.) *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default anyone else not love wrap straps on a MT?

Our Ergo got dirty this morning, so I pulled out a MT I hardly ever use (but of course had to have!). It has wrap straps. First, I'm used to SSCs and how fast they are to put on. But more than that, I find the wrap straps awkward. They are so long/wide, they get twisted, and I just can't get it right. I attempted a back carry this morning too, and that just seemed so wrong that I took him out.

I also have an Infantino MT that I leave in the car. I find those straps a lot easier to use since they are thinner. I wonder if I'd like something like a Babyhawk better. Anyone else have this problem? It seems like everyone loves the wrap straps because they are more comfortable. The thought crossed my mind that I should sell it, but it was hard to get, and then I'm afraid I'll regret it some day.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
Michele123
Rose Trellis

Michele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default anyone else not love wrap straps on a MT?

I think it all depends on the person. Some prefer small and padded, some prefer wrap straps. I tend to prefer wrapping in general and I think I'd prefer wrap straps but the only Mei Tai I have is a second hand Babyhawk. I like it just fine and have to complaints, even when I was carrying my 25+lb toddle on my back while pregnant with DS. *shrug*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ENFJ, please excuse my stream of consciousness posts.

Battled infertility for 3 1/2 years before DD (PCOS)
TTC #2 for 6 months (3 ovulations)

Married to DH since Aug 2004
DD born Feb 2012
DS born May 2014
#3 due Aug 2016
Michele123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Michele123 For This Useful Post:
esperanza (08-22-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
sunflowermom
Rose Garden

sunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone else not love wrap straps on a MT?

I never used and ergo and only had a mei tai and I loved the straps. It may depend on body type and preferences.
I found that thin straps hurt my shoulders.

Married my DH in 2/2008
Gave birth my DS 3/2012
sunflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sunflowermom For This Useful Post:
esperanza (08-22-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

The one time I tried on a MT with wrap straps (at a babywearing meeting) I really, really disliked it. Even when I used wraps I tended to scrunch up the fabric and only spread it out if the weight was really bugging me. I have a Kozy (that I bought back when Kellie handmade them all in her house, yes I'm OLD!) and the straps on it were always comfortable for me. . . I'm trying to remember, I traded with a friend for awhile and used her Babyhawk, and didn't like it as well as my Kozy, but I don't remember why (and that was like . . . 8 years ago, so both carriers have probably evolved since then!)

Busy Homeschooling Mom to 3 Sweetpeas:
Lexie & Ashlyn 16 yr old twins
and
Lina, 9
Virtual Accountant and Bookkeeper in my "spare time"
sweetpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
esperanza (08-24-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 06:25 AM   #5
Stefanierose88
Rose Blossom

Faith, Torah, Family

Stefanierose88 is a glorious beacon of lightStefanierose88 is a glorious beacon of lightStefanierose88 is a glorious beacon of lightStefanierose88 is a glorious beacon of lightStefanierose88 is a glorious beacon of lightStefanierose88 is a glorious beacon of light

I got a Moby Wrap before DD1 was born and hated it. Its just a massive long piece of fabric that they sewed a tiny tag onto with their logo, I was disappointed. I am a small person so I was overwhelmed by all that fabric! My back is really messed up so I unfortunately cant wear my babies often, but my DH wears them instead in a front carrier! Its nice for him to bond with them that way
Zipporah- 20 months
BABY BOY- due oct2016
Stefanierose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stefanierose88 For This Useful Post:
esperanza (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 09:16 AM   #6
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

We had a Boba wrap (like a Moby), and I loved it! But it took a couple times to figure out all that fabric, for sure! It wasn't exactly easy to transport other places either since it was so long.
Sooo sweet that your dh wears your girls. Dh has his own Boba carrier (black and gray ), and he loves carrying ds in it!
Old 11-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
daisies916
Seedling Rose

daisies916 is a jewel in the roughdaisies916 is a jewel in the roughdaisies916 is a jewel in the rough

How did you tie off when you had you LO on your back? I find tying Tibeten to be the most comfortable for back carries. Also, with a little practice, really spreading those passes along the back will add tons of support!! But they really are fiddly in the beginning!
and our black lab furbaby Daisy- 10.24.09

'And from His fullness we have all received, grace upon grace.' John 1:16 Praise the Lord!

daisies916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
esperanza
Rose Garden

I've never really gotten the hang of using my MT with back carries. I did just go to a meeting last month and had someone show me with the MT I wrote about. My ds was fine in it, but I could tell that the back was pretty low on him. I think it's more of an infant sized carrier. After seeing that, I sort of lost my motivation to try to keep working on back carries with it and am saving it in case there is another child at some point.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #9
cro
Rose Garden

cro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVED wrap straps when doing front carries, but not so much for back carries. The straps weren't very comfy on my shoulders.
E ~ born in America 12/08/08; natural bio miracle
cro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #10
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

TenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond repute

Sub.

I have liked the wrap straps I have tried thus far (and MT's are not my go to carrier generally)

I think it might be because you were using a SSC and then used a mei tai? I am usually a wrapper, so wrap straps feel more secure and snuggly to me, because its more like wrapping I guess.

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian
TenderLovingWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #11
praise2God
Seedling Rose

praise2God is on a distinguished road

my first was a MT and it was ok, but when I found the Ergo I was in love. I can't stand wrapping now or MT. It hurts my back and I don't have back issues. Plus it's so easy to put the baby up on my back with an ergo.
praise2God is offline   Reply With Quote