Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 07-03-2022, 09:52 AM   #1
kdm1984
Seedling Rose

kdm1984 is a jewel in the roughkdm1984 is a jewel in the roughkdm1984 is a jewel in the roughkdm1984 is a jewel in the rough
Default Quinoa

Anyone else a big fan?

ALDI carries a nice chicken quinoa microwavable meal, as well as 90 second microwave rice heat-ups, some of which also contain other grains and rice to go with it.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:29 AM   #2
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quinoa

I'm a huge fan. I often cook a large amount and use some to make a Mediterranean type salad (I make up my own recipe, but if you Google Tabouleh you can just substitute couscous for quinoa). Sometimes I'll reheat cooked quinoa with some brown sugar or maple syrup and raisins to make a breakfast similar to Cream of Wheat cereal.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
kdm1984 (07-03-2022)
Old 07-03-2022, 11:32 AM   #3
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Not a BIG fan but its definitely growing on us over time.

Initially (for years and years after trying and not liking recipe after recipe) we only used it to sprinkle on top of salads OR with egg and milk and bake it into a crust for a quiche. Those 2 uses are still ok by all 4 of us!

Recently I have started making "iron" bowls for my dd bc she gets tired when she menstruates - tho we eat it all the time now. I precook quinoa so its a quick and easy snack when we want one.
. Just saute garlic in a pan add a HUGE pile of spinach (since it cooks down) and then at the end dump in the quinoa to re-heat it. 3 out of 4 of us like those (ds does not). Or Ill eat it cold with chopped up veggies - like cucumber or tomato.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
kdm1984 (07-03-2022)
Old 07-03-2022, 01:34 PM   #4
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

I love it and everyone in my house eats it like rice as a side dish.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
kdm1984 (07-03-2022)
Old 07-03-2022, 04:35 PM   #5
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
Not a BIG fan but its definitely growing on us over time.

Initially (for years and years after trying and not liking recipe after recipe) we only used it to sprinkle on top of salads OR with egg and milk and bake it into a crust for a quiche. Those 2 uses are still ok by all 4 of us!

Recently I have started making "iron" bowls for my dd bc she gets tired when she menstruates - tho we eat it all the time now. I precook quinoa so its a quick and easy snack when we want one.
. Just saute garlic in a pan add a HUGE pile of spinach (since it cooks down) and then at the end dump in the quinoa to re-heat it. 3 out of 4 of us like those (ds does not). Or Ill eat it cold with chopped up veggies - like cucumber or tomato.

Can you share the quiche crust proportions?

I would love to learn to use quinoa better.

Those iron bowls sound like something I need to start adding in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:44 AM   #6
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster View Post
Can you share the quiche crust proportions?

I would love to learn to use quinoa better.

Those iron bowls sound like something I need to start adding in.
the recipe is officially 2 cups quinoa, 1/8 tsp pepper, and 1 egg. . . but I find that a little thin. I think I use 3 cups quinoa and 2 eggs and a dash of salt and pepper. IDK why I said milk - there is no milk in it. Maybe that extra egg had me thinking of milk or someting.

Another thing I do - is use it instead of pasta. So far just meat red sauce (as in spagetti sauce) . . . but I should maybe try it for other pasta dishes.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
kdm1984 (07-04-2022), The Tickle Momster (07-04-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 08:11 AM   #7
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! I am going to start incorporating more quinoa here. This is really helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
kdm1984 (07-04-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 10:54 AM   #8
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

I really like it in a Buddha bowl with roasted garbanzo beans and sweet potatoes and a peanut sauce. I usually put sauteed cabbage and kale salad in it too

kdm1984 (07-04-2022), The Tickle Momster (07-04-2022), twoplustwo (07-04-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 11:06 AM   #9
kdm1984
Seedling Rose

kdm1984 is a jewel in the roughkdm1984 is a jewel in the roughkdm1984 is a jewel in the roughkdm1984 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofjoy View Post
I really like it in a Buddha bowl with roasted garbanzo beans and sweet potatoes and a peanut sauce. I usually put sauteed cabbage and kale salad in it too

The ALDI frozen meal I get with it includes sweet potatoes. It's great! I'm sure it would go great with cabbage and kale as well. I love adding those to a variety of things.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kdm1984 For This Useful Post:
heartofjoy (07-04-2022), The Tickle Momster (07-04-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 06:50 AM   #10
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I've tried to add it to our dinner rotation a few times and no one has been a big fan. What's the nutritional benefit as compared to a rice? Maybe I should consider it again.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:14 AM   #11
twoplustwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
I've tried to add it to our dinner rotation a few times and no one has been a big fan. What's the nutritional benefit as compared to a rice? Maybe I should consider it again.
This week I did it with shrimp and pesto instead of pasta. eh.
I used it with pesto and lots of squash and zucchini. that was better.

I don't know off hand all the entire nutritional benefit esp vs. rice . . we did it more to replace some wheat. . . not that we are gluten free just for some higher nutritional value plus more grain variety. It did not change our rice consumption.

Anyway, I started using quinoa initially for the higher protein vaule for my dd who is a vegetarian. I am started incorporating it more recently bc it was listed somewhere as high in iron too!
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
The Tickle Momster (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 08:35 AM   #12
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

It has double the amount of protein than white rice and lots more fiber. We prefer quinoa to brown rice. We don't really eat much brown rice.

2sunshines (07-06-2022), RiverRock (07-06-2022), The Tickle Momster (07-06-2022), twoplustwo (07-07-2022)