Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 08-27-2022, 09:32 AM   #1
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Favorite IP or Crock Pot meals?

Looking at my monthly plan, I need to have 8-10 IP or crock pot meals a month.

I need some that really quick to do and don't need a lot of things to add in at the end, can just be eaten as soon as we get home, and have easy clean up.
My family, much to my chagrin, does not care for soup, except for broccoli cheddar, which I have tried in the crock pot and IP to not much approval. So, soup, is out. Chili is OK, so I have that
And, they can't require any side dishes that need prep or preparation other than microwaving. My go-to is usually just salad, but some of these nights we will be eating very late, and some of us can't digest lettuce/raw veggies easily. So, I need side dish ideas or meals that don't need side dishes.
I have tried doing dinner early before events at like 5pm, but then everyone is starving and wants to eat when they get home.

so far I have for crock pot:
Red beans and rice (rice crock pot, IP rice)
crock pot quinoa chili

For IP, I have
Beef stew
Chicken burrito bowls from D. Delicious
BBQ chicken sandwiches, slaw from grocery store

I already do a lot of chicken in the IP for on top of salads and stuff, but DH confessed to me that he really does not like how the chicken tastes and feels when I make it in the IP, so other than the bbq chicken sandwiches and burrito bowls, I don't really want to make chicken meals.

I also remembered that I can prep the meal earlier in the day, and then put it in the crock pot to keep it warm, but the side dishes need to be super low prep or just like "bread"

I'd like to make crock pot mac and cheese, and will if I can figure out a pairing for it to make it more meal like.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

Last edited by RealLifeMama; 08-27-2022 at 10:24 AM.
RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 10:18 AM   #2
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favorite IP or Crock Pot meals?

I do all sorts of soup in my instant pot.

I don't know if I can find actually recipes.

I tend to go with toss in onions and spices then a protein (chicken, pork, beef or beans) and then long cooking grain ( rice, millet if you can do wheat Bulger would work), harty veggies ( potatoes, carrots, tuneps, peppers, squash, large green beans, kaile stems)and add broth and the end I might toss in some greens or quick cooking veggies/ granis ( peas, corn, spinach, kaile leaves. Tomatoes go in the pot to cook unless I am adding beans, then they get tossed in at the end.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 11:26 AM   #3
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute

I often make a coconut chicken curry in my crock pot.

Ingredients:

• 2 chicken breasts, cubed
• 3 carrots, sliced
• 1 can chickpeas
• 1 1/2 tbsp curry power
• 1/2 tsp ground cumin
• 1/4 tsp Kashmir chili powder (or cayenne)
• 1/2 tsp coriander
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon (heaping)
• 1 can tomato paste
• 1 can coconut milk
• 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch

Directions:

Add chicken, carrots, chickpeas, spices, and tomato paste to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 hours.

Add coconut milk and cornstarch. Cook on high for 1 hour. Serve over warm rice.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 05:49 PM   #4
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

IP mac and cheese is a regular request here: https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/inst...ac-and-cheese/ I make it with homemade bone broth and then I feel extra good about the nutritional value.

To round it out I usually do an easy butter garlic green bean side. I buy frozen green beans at Costco, melt butter in a cast iron pan, add garlic, add the green beans, cover and simmer. Done in just a few minutes.
Old 08-30-2022, 07:02 AM   #5
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

My kids won't eat soup, either! My oldest likes to tell about the Christmas I set my mom's oven on fire, got PTSD and couldn't turn on my own oven for 3 months. We ate so many Crock pot meals those 3 months! So I have a bunch.

Also, I highly recommend this cookbook for Instant Pot. It has save dinner more than once from my last-minute forgetfulness!

Coconut curry

Cheesy chicken (Originally a THM recipe that I tweaked and turned into 4 or 5 different variations - Buffalo, Ranch, Italian, Tex-Mex, whatever we're feeling like. If you do dairy, it's great . I'll post recipes if requested, but similar to this.

Mississippi Pot Roast or Short Ribs (IP) - (no pre-packaged seasonings, just: beef broth, jar of pepperoncini, onion, butter, worcestershire, sage, allspice, cinnamon)

French Dip (ribeye roast, broth, onion, garlic, thyme, salt/pepper , IP on the rack)

Pot Roast
Beef Barbacoa (just chiles in adobo, lime juice, onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, broth, and a splash of ACV with a roast in the CrockPot)

Pulled Pork (southern-style - I coat a Boston Butt with a dry rub overnight in the fridge, then put it in the Crock Pot with a wet rub for the day, similar to this)
Carnitas

Sausage-stuffed Mini Peppers (I use turkey sausage, either my own or Stonybrook and homemade marinara)
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 09:18 AM   #6
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

These are my favorite crock pot recipes.

Homemade Italian Beef
Slow Cooker Spaghetti Bolognese
4 Hour Slow Cooker Chicken
Sesame Chicken
Crockpot Ranch Pork Chops

If you have two crock pots, I make sides in my second one like these:
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Scalloped Potatoes
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 10:20 AM   #7
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

https://instantpoteats.com/instant-p...occan-chicken/ You can add any vegetables - we included zucchini from our friends' garden and it was so good!
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 02:23 PM   #8
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

following along

great suggestions

we need to eat from the crock pot every Monday
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 06:43 PM   #9
PrincessAnika
Rose Garden

dreaming of purple butterflies & bravehearted seahorsies :)

PrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond repute

Crack chicken - 2lb boneless skinless chicken, 1c water or broth, packet of ranch, block of cream cheese on top. 20 min, QR, shred chicken, mix back in with 2c shredded cheese. Can add bacon bits/crumbles if you want or veggies - we like corn or carrots, broccoli tends to disintegrate that long in IP. Stir til mixed/melted. Serve over noodles, zoodles, biscuits, in sammiches, or plain with chips to dip in.
Spaghetti- we like the recipe from the salty marshmallow, I use gf noodles with no change, turns out great. Usually add a few slices American cheese while letting it set up after QR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Angel m/c 6/12/07 @39d, 4/19/16 @6dpo, 8/3/16 @37d
DD1 - K (peanut) 7/26/09
DD2 - M (monkey) 4/19/11
DS1 - C (squishy) 3/23/13
DS2 - J (rascal) 2/4/15
DS3 - A 6/16/17
11/9/7/5/3

::Q:: I add a little excitement, a little spice, to your lives, and all you do is complain. Where is your adventurous spirit, your imagination?

add me on FB
ISFj/p - depends on the day of the week. type 2. i think.

PrincessAnika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 11:06 AM   #10
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

This Old Gal has a recipe for Soccer mom pasta. I make that regularly. Super easy. Layer meatballs in the bottom of the IP. Add pasta, a jar of sauce and a jar of water. Set IP for 4 minutes. Quick Release. Stir and serve.

Shredded beef or chicken in the IP as well. I cook the chicken plain and then shred and add bbq sauce or taco sauce. serve in tortillas or on burger buns.

The shredded beef is a tad more complicated and takes quite a while longer in the IP, but it's yummy! I put a cup or so of beef broth, 1/2 cup coffee, some worcheshire sauce, onion, garlic etc in after searing the roast. IP for 55 minutes and Natural Release. Shred & serve on hoagie buns.

Those are my go to recipes when I can't figure out what to make.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (09-09-2022), RealLifeMama (09-09-2022)