Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Beverages *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 11-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #16
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fair trade Coffee

Here in Germany, several ofthe Starbucks blends are fair trade. The others fall under their "CARE" brand.

Here, the following are fair trade and marked as such: Espresso Roast, Decaf Espresso Roast, Veranda Blend, Pike Place, Breakfast Blend, and Italian Roast.

Some of them in the fridge at the stores are also marked fair trade. I didn't really pay attention to which ones, since I like going to the locations we have semi-locally as a reason to get out of the house.

Starbucks is one I'm ok with. I haven't seen much else that I have liked locally that is fair trade and tasty.
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HadassahSukkot For This Useful Post:
Kazimiera (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #17
TestifyToLove
Banned

TestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked and discovered there is a reusable option for Kuerig. I am going to research so I can buy one when I get paid.

The thing about Starbucks independent program is twofold. First, why are they so resistive to just complying with recognized fair trade requirements? Anytime a major coporation gives me a story about why their internal program is somehow *better* than a standard set by NGO watch groups makes me suspicious. Second, no for-profit corporation has ANY business being involved in developmental work. Starbucks program reads like they are involved in actual developmental work. That is paternalistic AND almost always poorly executed.

Fair Trade standards require communities to set up oversight and cooperation to enter fair trade markets. Generally, NGOs assist communities in setting up and training their leadership so that communities can be self suficient. It is the community cooperative that makes decisions and negotiates as one entity.

I did extensive work with Hiefer Project in my teens and 20s and I really have issues with a corporation out to make a profit stepping into a role that NGOs fill and fill with wisdom and experience. I've seen NGOs and Fair Trade cooperatives set up successfully and those that fall apart and it ALWAYS hinges upon the local community and their commitment to form an entity and work together. Starbucks is a profit making coporation. Why would they even WANT to step their toes into the developmental oversight arena?

For me, Starbucks stepping out of Fair Trade standards and trying to set up their own growers groups is akin to adoption agencies setting up their own orphanages. No matter what they claim they are doing, at the end of the day one finger is always going to be on their own bottom line and what would benefit them and not the community.
TestifyToLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #18
amydawn
Rose Bouquet

amydawn has a reputation beyond reputeamydawn has a reputation beyond reputeamydawn has a reputation beyond reputeamydawn has a reputation beyond reputeamydawn has a reputation beyond reputeamydawn has a reputation beyond reputeamydawn has a reputation beyond reputeamydawn has a reputation beyond reputeamydawn has a reputation beyond reputeamydawn has a reputation beyond reputeamydawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestifyToLove View Post
I just looked and discovered there is a reusable option for Kuerig. I am going to research so I can buy one when I get paid.
Skip the Keurig branded one and get this instead. Works much better and you don't have to remove the k-cup holder every time you use it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0051SU0OW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
justbreathe (11-09-2012), TestifyToLove (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #19
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestifyToLove View Post
The thing about Starbucks independent program is twofold. First, why are they so resistive to just complying with recognized fair trade requirements? Anytime a major coporation gives me a story about why their internal program is somehow *better* than a standard set by NGO watch groups makes me suspicious.
For me, Starbucks stepping out of Fair Trade standards and trying to set up their own growers groups is akin to adoption agencies setting up their own orphanages. No matter what they claim they are doing, at the end of the day one finger is always going to be on their own bottom line and what would benefit them and not the community.
Ditto here....WHY go through ALL the pain of developing your OWN program when there's a perfectly good one down the street that *EVERYONE* else is using? The answer there is normally NOT that it's better.
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds
always remembering the one I didn't get to hold

Mary has been healed by the blood of the lamb

swimming with sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #20
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

There used to be a site where you could buy bags of fair trade coffee and $5 of every purchase went to pay for children in a developing country to eat for a month. I'm going to dig through old posts, but anyone have a link???

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

found it--it's Saintscoffee.com and they seem to have gone out of business
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (11-10-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #21
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

I did find out that the starbucks that is now being sold in some stores locally (near/with the dairy items) are all listed as fair trade. They are "Starbucks on the go" and "Starbucks Discovery". http://www.starbucksonthego.com/en/ And yes, I did check behind - they are certified - it's not their CARE brand.
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #22
silverlining
Deactivated

silverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant future

I've been buying the Newman's Own brand at the grocery store, but I think I'm going to start ordering directly from here:

http://beyondbeanscoffee.com/

I've visited their camp/farm, picked coffee beans with their workers, and from what I could tell, it's a great organization (and the coffee's good, too). I just found out they are now selling online.
silverlining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #23
jujubnme
Rose Garden

Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. (James 3:18)

jujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond repute

We buy Counter Culture Coffee at our local coffee shop, but they also sell online. They have an independently certified rating called "Direct Trade Certification", which is actually stricter than Fair Trade. You can read about it on their website. The quality is excellent---our friend who was a regional barista champion and who owns two highly successful high end coffee shops in Washington, DC (and opening a third) uses and sells these beans.

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Adding that not all of their coffees are designated with the Direct Trade Certification, so you do need to check. It looks like many/most are... They also have many that are Organic certified... Some are both; some are one or the other.

wife to my awesome dh since 8/2000 - mom to my sweet jujube ds since 9/2001
all INFPs, living in harmonious chaos.

GLORY be to God for dappled things---
All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.

GERARD MANLY HOPKINS

jujubnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:19 AM   #24
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute

I tried something (allegro? ) from Wholefoods $$$ - it was ok...not as *dark* as I like more mild.

I got the Sam's choice at the grocery store. It tastes good. It's DARK. I like it and the price was
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds
always remembering the one I didn't get to hold

Mary has been healed by the blood of the lamb

swimming with sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swimming with sharks For This Useful Post:
The Tickle Momster (11-21-2012)