Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Hobbies and Crafts *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Hobbies and Crafts *Public* The place to talk about crafts, sewing, crocheting, scrapbooking, etc.
A public forum.

Old 01-23-2024, 10:30 PM   #1
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thrift Shopping

A new thing I’ve found that I really enjoy is thrift shopping. I think I definitely have the bug! Who else likes thrifting? What treasures have you found?
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Llee (01-25-2024), Singingmom (01-25-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 05:59 AM   #2
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thrift Shopping

My daughter has taken it up and enjoys the hunt. Recently found out my neighbor does it as a business - sells things for profit on Ebay

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
Llee (01-25-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 06:50 AM   #3
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

DD and I will go to Goodwill now and again. I used to go regularly. I live in a fairly well off area so found some amazing things. My nephew got married the summer before last and I found this really cute dress AND shoes to wear to the wedding.
Lots of new with tags or new condition brand names - Nike, addidas, underarmor.
We used to have 6 razor scooters bc they were so cheap there and then had enough for friends group.
I dont go nearly as often as I used to. Less time. Need less stuff as the kids get older. The prices have really risen.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
Llee (01-25-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 10:00 AM   #4
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Almost my entire new wardrobe lately is all thrifted. Before I started thrifting, I went to Target and got maybe four shirts for well over $100. Then I learned I could get several really nice things (same brand I love from Target ) at the thrift store for the price of one Target shirt. I’ve only gotten to go once, but the small town near the cemetery where Hope is buried has a very, very nice thrift store. And now in our new town we moved to, I found a favorite thrift store.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (01-24-2024), Llee (01-25-2024), twoplustwo (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 11:16 AM   #5
rdsmommy
Rose Trellis

rdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I do but it depends on the store. We have several here and I only go to one of them. I need things organized by size. I don’t have the patience for it when it’s sorted by color. My daughter got me hooked since she likes to shop and prefers thrifted clothes. I also by holiday decor, cards, tags ect. And I have found a few things for the house as well.

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
Almost my entire new wardrobe lately is all thrifted. Before I started thrifting, I went to Target and got maybe four shirts for well over $100. Then I learned I could get several really nice things (same brand I love from Target ) at the thrift store for the price of one Target shirt. I’ve only gotten to go once, but the small town near the cemetery where Hope is buried has a very, very nice thrift store. And now in our new town we moved to, I found a favorite thrift store.
I like the Knox rose brand from target and I have found several items in our thrift store.
rdsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 11:22 AM   #6
charla
Administrator

Yes, I love Knox Rose. That's the brand I've found at the thrift stores and will most likely snatch them up if they fit!

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
rdsmommy (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 09:42 PM   #7
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

I like thrifting! I find books and sometimes good clothes. Recently I found a jacket I love.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 05:58 PM   #8
charla
Administrator

I didn't really like thrifting for a very long time. I think it was for several reasons: I had lots of hand-me-down clothes growing up (most of which I loved, but grew tired of) and just because you need a certain something doesn't mean you are going to find it that day. I love thrifting now because I can be a little more patient in my shopping and I don't see the point in spending full-price on something that is just going to wear out soon anyway. And I suppose a cousin to thrifting is antiquing which I totally adore as well although it happens to be quite a bit more expensive.

I bought a brand new with tags KatyBug Faye tunic originally priced at $49.99 for under $10. I can't remember the exact price I paid but every piece was under $10. I can't even fathom paying $50 for a tunic shirt.

I've made a list on my phone of things I'm hoping to find when I go thrifting. We'll see how long it takes to find everything on the list. Thankfully none of it is essential.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
The Tickle Momster (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 09:22 AM   #9
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't enjoy shopping at all and thrifting is so much worse because you can't just go in and get what you need immediately.

However, I do like finding bargains! My oldest daughter is an excellent thrift shopper. She lives in a great neighborhood with Facebook groups for selling and giving stuff away and she's gotten the most amazing free stuff! Furniture, kids' toys, clothes, and more. She's very good at it and I want to be like her!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2024, 10:02 AM   #10
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

I’m with heartofjoy. The extra time doesn’t always make sense. I love finding a bargain but I prefer shopping when there is something I’m looking for. I don’t mind thrifting for it if I have time. I know there are deals to be found, I just don’t have the patience for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 12:38 PM   #11
charla
Administrator

I'm a total go in and get what I need shopper in every other forum except thrifting. I hate browsing in any other store.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 01-29-2024, 03:00 PM   #12
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

I love thrifting. From a sustainability and conscious consumerism standpoint, thrifting is amazing. We probably thrift 80 percent of our non-food items.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofjoy View Post
I don't enjoy shopping at all and thrifting is so much worse because you can't just go in and get what you need immediately.

I am not a shopper and I agree with not necessarily being able to find things you need, but I previously lived in areas with so many wonderful second-hand stores that I almost always found most of what I was looking for. Where I live now, not so much.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 03:42 PM   #13
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggaBuggaMommy View Post
I love thrifting. From a sustainability and conscious consumerism standpoint, thrifting is amazing.
Yes, this is why I try to do it!

Old 02-06-2024, 05:37 PM   #14
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
A new thing I’ve found that I really enjoy is thrift shopping. I think I definitely have the bug! Who else likes thrifting? What treasures have you found?
Thrifters here! I love it. Some of the stuff is WAY overpriced but at the same time some of the stuff is a steal. It's definitely a time consuming hobby.... I've gone through spurts and stalls.... Sometimes I hit it hard and sometimes I don't at all based on current life circumstances.
Old 02-06-2024, 05:59 PM   #15
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

I need to start visiting the stores in the nicer parts of town to find some maternity items for my daughter. She's at that 'kinda need it' meets 'really need it' stage and there is so little in the stores these days.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (02-07-2024)