Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breads / Muffins *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 08-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute
Default homemade sandwich bread

I have been baking bread for years but had not made one that we could make sandwiches from and send to school with the kids.
I finally came up with a rather sucessful bread for that!
I use a rather simple recipe and mix it in the dough cycle of my bread machine - it does a much better job than I do trying to mix it by hand.
I let it go through the first rise in the machine which on mine is 50 min, then it "punches it down" and I take it out and put it in a greased loaf pan. I cover it with a dishcloth and put it into the oven which I had preheated to 200 degrees and then turned off for the second rise - 30 min. I pull it out of the oven and heat the oven to 350 and then bake for about 25 min. It has a good texture and flavor and makes great sandwiches!

The drawback is the time involved and having to be home to move it from place to place and the fact that I can only do one loaf at a time and one loaf lasts for one or two days for us.

Here is the recipe I use - it makes one loaf -

water - 1 1/3 c
coconut oil - 1 T
butter or olive oil - 1T
honey - about 2 T
salt - a scant 1t
flour - about 4 cups
yeast 2t

I warm the water and mix in the yeast and then pour it in the bread machine pan.

I then add the oil, honey and salt.

For the flour, I use a blend of flour types based on what I have around at the time. I use at least half organic unbleached white flour and the other half is a mix of whole grain flours. Right now I have some flour I got at a store that went out of business that I am using up so some of that is going in it and I grind some flour in my Vitamix. I usually grind Kamut, Millet, Lentils, Brown Rice, Flax Seed and Steel Cut Oats and sometimes Amaranth but right now I have Amaranth flour and Teff flour and Garbanzo Bean flour that I am using up. I also add in a bit of Vital Wheat Gluten and Xanthun Gum.

I start with a bit less than 4 cups of flour and let it mix in the bread machine. I watch it and use a rubber spatula to scrape it and help it to mix and then add more flour if it seems to need it.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to believer For This Useful Post:
MommaNae (03-07-2011), mommylove (03-03-2011)
Old 03-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #2
BriansLovie
Rose Garden

Striving to be a gentle mama and enjoying my littles.

BriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: homemade sandwich bread

I am going to try this recipe today

Mama to J - 11, J - 9, & A - 5
&
Two angels
9/2007 & 1/2008
BriansLovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
BriansLovie
Rose Garden

BriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond repute

Believer... this bread is yummy But what do you grease your bread pans with? I did olive oil today and they Stuck and one loaf was a terrible mess :/ And that same loaf, got a giant air bubble (it looked BEAUTIFUL coming out of the oven) but as soon as I cut into it, it collapsed and the crust fell off What am I doing wrong?

&
Two angels
9/2007 & 1/2008
Old 03-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
TuneMyHeart
Rose Garden

Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it. Seal it for Thy courts above.

TuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond repute

can't answer all those questions, but I coat pans with coconut oil and they don't stick.
TuneMyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

subbing so I can find this again. I can't get DH to eat homemade bread in sandwiches, so I'm excited to try this recipe.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
BriansLovie
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuneMyHeart View Post
can't answer all those questions, but I coat pans with coconut oil and they don't stick.

I do with CO too sometimes and they still stick what am I doing wrong? Do you really slather the CO on?

&
Two angels
9/2007 & 1/2008
Old 03-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
TuneMyHeart
Rose Garden

Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it. Seal it for Thy courts above.

TuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I put quite a bit on, and they don't stick.
TuneMyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
BriansLovie
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuneMyHeart View Post
Yes, I put quite a bit on, and they don't stick.
Ok next time i will put more on

&
Two angels
9/2007 & 1/2008
Old 03-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
MommaNae
Rose Trellis

MommaNae has a brilliant futureMommaNae has a brilliant futureMommaNae has a brilliant futureMommaNae has a brilliant futureMommaNae has a brilliant futureMommaNae has a brilliant futureMommaNae has a brilliant futureMommaNae has a brilliant futureMommaNae has a brilliant futureMommaNae has a brilliant futureMommaNae has a brilliant future

Thanks! I'm gonna try this tomorrow!
Posted via Mobile Device
MommaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
GentleMomof4
Rose Trellis

My sweet C turns 19 this year!!

GentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a bread machine. Is it possible to make without one? It sounds yummy!!
Holder of The Chalice of Reading Endurance
GentleMomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #11
MommaNae
Rose Trellis

MommaNae has a brilliant futureMommaNae has a brilliant futureMommaNae has a brilliant futureMommaNae has a brilliant futureMommaNae has a brilliant futureMommaNae has a brilliant futureMommaNae has a brilliant futureMommaNae has a brilliant futureMommaNae has a brilliant futureMommaNae has a brilliant futureMommaNae has a brilliant future

I did it without a bread machine. It's really good but DS wouldn't eat it when I used it for sandwiches. DH loved it though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #12
bec28
Rose Garden

bec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Aluminu.../dp/B00024WNOU

I saw a pan just like this, only it had a cover on it as well, so that you could put your dough in it, and as it rose the second time, the cover allowed it to fill the pan longwise instead of getting tall. Has anyone used anything like this for sandwich bread? Seems like it would be a cool idea
staying at home and loving it! learning to be a more grace filled, gentle mama
bec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
MommaNae
Rose Trellis

I need a "normal" looking loaf pan like that. Maybe I could fool DS that way. Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #14
GentleMomof4
Rose Trellis

My sweet C turns 19 this year!!

GentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond repute

What do you keep it in after it's baked?

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Oh, and what sized loaf pan would I need?
Holder of The Chalice of Reading Endurance
GentleMomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #15
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

subbing!!

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote