Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:26 AM   #1
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default July Dinners

Hello all, July is upon us.

Tonight we are having stuffed green peppers, rice and corn.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
knitlove (07-06-2021), Vicki_T (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 11:28 AM   #2
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: July Dinners

Wow! July!

I have no idea what's for dinner tonight. I've made 3 extended family meals since last Thursday. I've had houseguests for 5 days and I've been deep cleaning my house all day today. Whatever I make for dinner needs to be easy!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2021, 12:26 PM   #3
rdsmommy
Rose Trellis

rdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I usually make our main meal at lunch. Today we had Mole (a traditional Mexican dish) with Spanish cauliflower rice. In case anyone is interested in recipes I just buy premade “mole” sauce and pour it over boiled chicken legs cooked with onion and cilantro. This is the one I use. The closest way to describe this is like a curry or gravy made from chili peppers , nuts, and cocoa powder. It isn’t spicy and not everyone likes it but if you want to try something different you might like it and it’s super easy if you use store bought sauce.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rogelio-B...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
rdsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rdsmommy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (07-06-2021), knitlove (07-06-2021), Vicki_T (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 05:42 PM   #4
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Well my dinner plans went out the window when I realized that dh wasn't going to be home during archery and therefore I could not be baking focatia then.

So we are eating chicken salid, that was bought from trader Joe's.

I have got to get back on top of always having a couple of fast easy meals in the house to pull out when things get mistimed like today. Especially as I t is looking like wendsday during the school year are going to be me gone all day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:19 PM   #5
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

I have not been doing much cooking so far this month.
But I did make quiche tonight. It was delicious! I just served it with some sliced tomatoes and berries.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:39 AM   #6
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
Well my dinner plans went out the window when I realized that dh wasn't going to be home during archery and therefore I could not be baking focatia then.

So we are eating chicken salid, that was bought from trader Joe's.

I have got to get back on top of always having a couple of fast easy meals in the house to pull out when things get mistimed like today. Especially as I t is looking like wendsday during the school year are going to be me gone all day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
My quickest meal when I have nothing planned is Tacos. Ground beef can be cooked from frozen in a skillet, we usually have either tortillas in the freezer or a bag of chips, and the kids just add whatever veggies I put on the table (peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, shredded carrots) or I steam broccoli. (I ALWAYS seem to have broccoli in the crisper! Don't know how that happens.) Totally not authentic, but filling.

The other two things I fall back on when I have nothing else are two chilis - a chicken version and a beef version - where all the ingredients can go straight from pantry or freezer to IP. Both are DF, GF and I'm happy to share if you need recipes.

I've been putting together a pantry cooking cookbook and a Family cookbook, mainly for when the kids move out, but in so doing stumbled across From Freezer to Instant Pot which I found really helpful, especially for timings and little details. (Recipes, I still have to tweak for us.) But take the title literally - all the proteins go into the IP frozen, as do many of the components, such as onions. SUPER helpful on busy nights.

These two freezer cooking cookbooks were also helpful for ideas to pack the freezer: Seriously Good Freezer Meals, and From Freezer to Table. Those two authors have a newer cookbook out that looks good, but I haven't read: From Freezer to Cooker. (And I get all of these from my library, btw. At least until I have made enough of the recipes that I know I would use the book.)

All I have planned for tonight is Kale Chips and Green Bean Fries. Gotta get on the protein.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
knitlove (07-07-2021), MamaMansa (07-10-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 08:40 AM   #7
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Grilled steak salad
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:49 AM   #8
rdsmommy
Rose Trellis

rdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Today we’re having creamy meatball and cauliflower soup. It used to be meatball and potato soup but since we’re low carb I tried it with cauliflower and it’s still just as good.

Fry half an onion and a clove of garlic in oil, add 4cups of water or broth, 18 frozen meatballs and a bag of frozen cauliflower cook for about 20 minutes until cauliflower is soft. Add about 3oz of Mexican cream, a teaspoon of cumin, a handful of fresh cilantro, a third of a can of chipotle pepper sauce, and salt to taste. Cook for another five minutes or so on low and it’s done.

Sometimes if I have the time I will make the meatballs and use fresh cauliflower but in a rush I use frozen and it doesn’t drastically change the taste. It’s my MIL’s recipe and she always made the meatballs and stuffed them with cheese but I don’t enjoy cooking as much as she does. This recipe is for 2 or 3 people.

This can be a little spicy not for anyone who’s used to spice but if you’re not maybe add the chipotle one spoonful at a time and see how spicy you like it.

Last edited by rdsmommy; 07-07-2021 at 08:52 AM.
rdsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rdsmommy For This Useful Post:
knitlove (07-07-2021), MamaMansa (07-10-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 01:06 AM   #9
MamaMansa
Deactivated

MamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
These two freezer cooking cookbooks were also helpful for ideas to pack the freezer: Seriously Good Freezer Meals, and From Freezer to Table. Those two authors have a newer cookbook out that looks good, but I haven't read: From Freezer to Cooker. (And I get all of these from my library, btw. At least until I have made enough of the recipes that I know I would use the book.)
Thank you for these! I did a big freezer meal fill back in May and it was SO awesome to have stuff I could just pull out and dump in the crockpot. I’m aiming to do this again early next month. It did wonders for my grocery budget!

I’m trying to get back to doing THM again, and those recipes are so big that I can get two meals out of them, so I may start there.

We did Slow Cooker Chicken Florentine tonight and I’m doing a THM enchilada recipe tomorrow.
MamaMansa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:25 AM   #10
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

I made a Thai Coconut Chicken Curry on Thursday. Leftovers Friday. I think dh and I need a date night tonight, but I have Cajun Chicken Pasta on the menu
Old 07-10-2021, 06:35 AM   #11
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofjoy View Post
I made a Thai Coconut Chicken Curry on Thursday. Leftovers Friday. I think dh and I need a date night tonight, but I have Cajun Chicken Pasta on the menu
Two of my favorites!

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
heartofjoy (07-10-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 02:28 PM   #12
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMansa View Post
Thank you for these! I did a big freezer meal fill back in May and it was SO awesome to have stuff I could just pull out and dump in the crockpot. I’m aiming to do this again early next month. It did wonders for my grocery budget!

I’m trying to get back to doing THM again, and those recipes are so big that I can get two meals out of them, so I may start there.

We did Slow Cooker Chicken Florentine tonight and I’m doing a THM enchilada recipe tomorrow.
Thank YOU! It was your thread that got me off my duff in search of new recipes! I felt like I struck oil when I discovered that Freezer to Instant Pot cookbook because, despite my best intentions, I frequently forget to defrost things the night before.

We need to eat leftovers for dinner tonight - the fridge is full and we're leaving for the beach tonight - but my tribe is just not into leftovers.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
MamaMansa (07-16-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 10:34 PM   #13
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

Tonight is rissoles, potato bake and steamed veggies.

As we are still under stay-at-home orders for at least the next few weeks, I'm going to try a few new recipes that I have to try to do something different to break up the monotony. So I might be asking a few of you for some of your yummy recipes
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:16 PM   #14
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

For a fast, easy summer meal, my people have been loving sandwiches on croissants! Dresses the lowly sandwich right up into a nice meal!

Pairs well with chicken salad or sliced meats from the grocery deli and a bagged salad and kettle chips!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
knitlove (07-06-2021), rdsmommy (07-06-2021), Victorious (07-08-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 12:58 AM   #15
AlishaRose
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

AlishaRose has a reputation beyond reputeAlishaRose has a reputation beyond reputeAlishaRose has a reputation beyond reputeAlishaRose has a reputation beyond reputeAlishaRose has a reputation beyond reputeAlishaRose has a reputation beyond reputeAlishaRose has a reputation beyond reputeAlishaRose has a reputation beyond reputeAlishaRose has a reputation beyond reputeAlishaRose has a reputation beyond reputeAlishaRose has a reputation beyond repute

Having just watched all the hobbit movies with dh and the kids, I’m making something from the Hobbit cookbook!

Mushroom soup along with with braided bread stuffed with mushrooms, onions and cheddar cheese (I have many mushrooms that need using!)

And for pudding, baked apples with cinnamon and white wine.

Mummy to ds1 (age 14) and dd (age 11) and ds2 (age 8)

'Every blessing you pour out I'll turn back to praise'

AlishaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlishaRose For This Useful Post:
MamaMansa (07-10-2021), The Tickle Momster (07-07-2021)