Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #76
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vitamin D FAQ :)

fish oil has no vit D or very little. Cod Liver oil does Vitacost, Nsi brand is based on olive oil.
my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
nadezhda (05-02-2011), Rabbit (05-02-2011)
Old 05-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #77
nadezhda
Deactivated

God's will cannot lead me where His grace will not keep me.

nadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond repute

After I got all excited, thinking I could use what I have, I checked the nutrition facts & saw my particular fish oil is really high in vit E, but virtually no D. That'll teach me to think I don't need to go out & buy new supplements!
nadezhda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #78
PrincessAnika
Rose Garden

dreaming of purple butterflies & bravehearted seahorsies :)

PrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond repute

i had my levels tested while doing other bloodwork last week....i can't remember if dr said 13 or 17 - either way, really low. she sent a script in for me i'll pick up tomorrow, my brain is too foggy to remember how much/when to take - if its not d3 i'll switch, i should be able to find it pretty inexpensively at our one store. read through this whole thread, though, and can't find the answer to my question::
dd2 is 8wks. does vitd cross the placenta? (i would think it would...) is mine that low, because she took it all? or are we both low? i don't want to have her tested if i don't have to. should i start her on something as well?
Angel m/c 6/12/07 @39d, 4/19/16 @6dpo, 8/3/16 @37d
DD1 - K (peanut) 7/26/09
DD2 - M (monkey) 4/19/11
DS1 - C (squishy) 3/23/13
DS2 - J (rascal) 2/4/15
DS3 - A 6/16/17
11/9/7/5/3

::Q:: I add a little excitement, a little spice, to your lives, and all you do is complain. Where is your adventurous spirit, your imagination?

add me on FB
ISFj/p - depends on the day of the week. type 2. i think.

PrincessAnika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #79
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

i'd say that this time of year you both need to be outside. i have no idea what vit D does in mother/fetus situation. But i know for sure that whatever the baby got then isn't working for her now, and your milk is deficient. if a mother i low on vit D, so is her milk. So, go outside, just until you start turning pink. Then you made all the D you will in that day. Don't bathe for at least 12 hrs, or you'll wash it off. Repeat
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
PrincessAnika (06-14-2011), Rabbit (06-13-2011)
Old 06-14-2011, 05:41 AM   #80
SamRose
Rose Garden

I <3 these cuties!

SamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond repute

Can somebody remind me how much skin needs to be exposed and for how long to get the Vit D needed?
SamRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #81
abbiroads
Rose Garden

abbiroads has disabled reputation

And does it really have to be after showering? How important is consistancy?
ds2: Eli 4/06
ds3: Judah 4/08
abbiroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:39 AM   #82
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

i have it in the front of the thread, somewhere go lookie
it does vary for people, and greatly. if you want maximum benefit, which in your part of the country that's what i'd shoot for, expose at least whole arms and face, and *just* before they turn pink. not red. not hot pink. just that very pale sun-kissed, not sun-burnt sort of pink. i can't see it on dh, and ds never turn anything but golden, but dd and I do show it.

i'm told that an average biracial kid with med. brown complexion has about a 25 SPF. it seems my ds has more than that, and my dd has about that. just gauging by how my skin reacts when it has sunscreen on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
curlymopmom (06-21-2011)
Old 06-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #83
PrincessAnika
Rose Garden

PrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond repute

does evening sun work ok, or does it have to be a particular time of day?
DD1 - K (peanut) 7/26/09
DD2 - M (monkey) 4/19/11
DS2 - J (rascal) 2/4/15
DS3 - A 6/16/17
11/9/7/5/3

::Q:: I add a little excitement, a little spice, to your lives, and all you do is complain. Where is your adventurous spirit, your imagination?

add me on FB

Old 06-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #84
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbiroads View Post
And does it really have to be after showering? How important is consistancy?
sorry, i'm confused

It depends on where you live, and what you mean by evening.
When I lived in AR, afternoon sun felt like a broiler And you could still burn beet-red in the PM.
In IL the PM sun is soooooo mild, I cannot imagine it being awfully effective. Just like from Oct to Apr here, the sun won't make you any vit D Which is why we really should supplement, or make a big effort to get it with foods.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #85
PrincessAnika
Rose Garden

PA. my mom used to tell us something about between 10 & 4 (i think it was for sunscreen maybe?)....so evening being after that.

50,000IU once a week for 90 days, then a lower dose (don't remember what ATM) after that - unfortunately the script is the d2, so i'll start it since its better than nothing, and then go find what i can at the local discount pharmacy store....
DD1 - K (peanut) 7/26/09
DD2 - M (monkey) 4/19/11
DS2 - J (rascal) 2/4/15
DS3 - A 6/16/17
11/9/7/5/3

add me on FB

Old 06-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #86
mathematicalmessymamma

Did anyone see the news tonight about the new sunscreen regulations? They were emphasizing how melanoma is on the rise and we aren't wearing enough sunscreen. So now they have to make sunscreen that blocks both UVA and UVB. And they were going on and on about how you should reapply a shot glass full of it every 2 hours blah blah blah. And yet vit D defficiency is a huge problem in this country. I just dont know what to think. Melanoma is scary scary. But I've seen what vit D difficency can do to my body so I choose sun and take the risk. But I wonder about DD. I'm torn on whether or not to use sunscreen on her. I want her to get plenty of vit D. But I want to protect her as well ya know.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #87
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

We do both. I use sunscreen when necessary and don't when not. Moderation.....

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cobluegirl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #88
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematicalmessymamma View Post
Did anyone see the news tonight about the new sunscreen regulations? They were emphasizing how melanoma is on the rise and we aren't wearing enough sunscreen. So now they have to make sunscreen that blocks both UVA and UVB. And they were going on and on about how you should reapply a shot glass full of it every 2 hours blah blah blah. And yet vit D defficiency is a huge problem in this country. I just dont know what to think. Melanoma is scary scary. But I've seen what vit D difficency can do to my body so I choose sun and take the risk. But I wonder about DD. I'm torn on whether or not to use sunscreen on her. I want her to get plenty of vit D. But I want to protect her as well ya know.
Keep reading
we are also having more cancers of any kind b/c of higher oxidative stress and lowered intake of antioxidants, people eating SAD and all
and the aforementioned sunscreens were packed with vit A, which is now known to cause cancer when reacting with sunlight.
that very vit. D deficiency predisposes people to higher risk of cancer, IMO

etc. etc. etc.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
curlymopmom (06-21-2011), PrincessAnika (06-14-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #89
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

well ladies, all my supplementing, eating of pastured eggs, and staying in the sun sans sunscreen and I'm still at 32 as of June 1st!

Old 06-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #90
SamRose
Rose Garden

I <3 these cuties!

SamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond repute

At least you're in the acceptable range.
SamRose is offline   Reply With Quote