Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
KSL
Rose Bouquet

KSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant future
Default Spank them until they're sweet?

I believe this comes from SACH by Ted Tripp, correct?

for some reason I was thinking about this phrase ad concept before I went to bed last night. It just seems like such a logically incorrect way to approach discipline. Even IF you believed in spanking, why would you expect your kids, at age 2, 4, 6, whatever, to be "sweet" after you'd done it? Even for a natural consequence that comes with an action I do-- say, I'm speeding and I get a ticket-- I am not going to automatically see the benefit to the consequence and be "happy" or at peace with it. I mean, if you get a speeding ticket, aren't you mad for awhile? Don't you need some time to come to terms with the mistake you made, accept that the consequence was a result, and move on?

I just wonder (I've just read snippets of SACH and have a friend who endorses it) how Tripp justifies that philosophy, and how/if anyone else here has responded to that logic?

Even my in-laws, who believe in spanking, don't expect a child to be happy about it afterward. They expect them to be upset (as they say, that's kind of the point of the spanking) and aren't trying to get them to be "sweet" afterward, they just have to stop whatever they were doing that caused the spanking.

This phrase/approach just really, really irks me because it adds a whole level of "faking it" and "acting happy" to the act of spanking that seems really damaging.

ETA: does Tripp justify it with something about God wanting a contrite heart? if so how could spanking cause the contrite heart-- if a kid knows they'll be spanked until they act contrite/sweet, then you'd quickly learn to "fake" that contriteness/sweetness, and it wouldn't be genuine at all, hence defeating the entire purpose right?

Married to the Haitian Sensation since 2007
Mom to S, DS since October 2009

and

E, DD born February 22nd, 2016

Last edited by KSL; 07-28-2012 at 01:49 PM.
KSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Elora
Deactivated

Elora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spank them until they're sweet?

good christians rejoice in their suffering - it teaches perseverance, just ask paul. you deserve those beatings and much worse. be glad for them. if you're not, you probably just need to be punished for an incorrec t attitude.
Elora is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elora For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (07-30-2012), KSL (07-28-2012), Zooey (07-29-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
staceylayne
Rose Garden

Hopeful.

staceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond repute

My church led a men's study using SACH. I have a really hard time reconciling the authentic, kind and patient men I know from church and that kind of philosophy. I mean, I was raised with ocassional spankings so I can wrap my mind around justifying that form of discipline when you're entrenched in the punitive dynamic. But expecting children to be "sweet" after a spanking?? (I actually detest that term for describing kids' attitude/behavior anyway.) :gag

Joyful momma to:

B - 7.5, my pensive planner
D - 5.5, my spunky sunshine
C - 3.5, my cuddly cutie

And baby girl A, born April 28!
Why, yes, I am ENFP

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. James 3:17-18
staceylayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to staceylayne For This Useful Post:
KSL (07-28-2012), Zooey (07-29-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

Tripp seems to justify it on grounds that God works on the heart *through* spanking .

It's an article of faith for him - he believes that the Bible mandates spanking. Yet Tripp actually gets grace, to an extent, and so he has a rough time with the idea of a good God requiring parents to cause their little one pain, especially when other, gentler methods clearly work wrt outward compliance. So he's persuaded himself that God must work through spanking in a unique way - that spanking is how God works on the heart in kids who otherwise aren't cognitively capable of understanding the concept of sin (don't even get me started on the horribleness that is treating kids as "other" , even to the point of claiming that God Himself cannot save them without their being properly cognitively aware ).

Anyway, so it's a "more cowbell" thing for Tripp - spanking works on the heart, so if the heart isn't right, God needs to work on it more. And spanking is how God does it . Ergo, more spanking .

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
KSL (07-28-2012), NewCovenantMama (08-01-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
LearningMama
Rose Trellis

LearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond repute

That word sweet gives me the
Welcome Baby "YoYo" !! January 2014
Keeper of one grey cat Liz

...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40
LearningMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LearningMama For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (07-30-2012), KSL (07-28-2012), PaperMomma (07-28-2012), Zooey (07-29-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

There's your first failing. You want to approach it logically. :tsktsktsk That's not the way God works.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
KSL (07-28-2012), mystweaver (07-30-2012), rjy9343 (07-29-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty-two View Post
Tripp seems to justify it on grounds that God works on the heart *through* spanking .

It's an article of faith for him - he believes that the Bible mandates spanking. Yet Tripp actually gets grace, to an extent, and so he has a rough time with the idea of a good God requiring parents to cause their little one pain, especially when other, gentler methods clearly work wrt outward compliance. So he's persuaded himself that God must work through spanking in a unique way - that spanking is how God works on the heart in kids who otherwise aren't cognitively capable of understanding the concept of sin (don't even get me started on the horribleness that is treating kids as "other" , even to the point of claiming that God Himself cannot save them without their being properly cognitively aware ).

Anyway, so it's a "more cowbell" thing for Tripp - spanking works on the heart, so if the heart isn't right, God needs to work on it more. And spanking is how God does it . Ergo, more spanking .
What Forty-Two said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearningMama View Post
That word sweet gives me the
Yeah, me too.
That and .