Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 12-14-2009, 12:15 AM   #121
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A radical idea - viewing kids as babies till 5

there is a lot of wisdom in this theory. i myself have often thought the same thing when considering the children that i am involved with - up until about 5.5 or 6, i still think of them as babies, who need to be carried and held close and who are not really good at handling responsibility. even with my sunday school kids, a year ago i did not DARE take a long blink while they were in my care, but now i can run copies or go potty and leave my 10 month old son for a few minutes in the care of my kindergarten age student with the specific instructions "you know what behavior i expect of you, so just keep an eye on the baby and make sure he doesn't eat anything or get hurt." not that i expect that to go perfectly, i know accidents happen, but at the same time i trust this nearly-6 year old to keep my 10 month old alive for 5 minutes, i mean that's kind of a big deal, ya know?

but as far as the reference to when they reach maturity, i would say that 13 is still way way way too young. it's a very slow process. i am in my mid 20s and only recently have begun to feel 100% separate from my own mother (weaned, essentially). the brain does not finish maturing until the mid 20s when you are able to hone your skills at predicting outcomes. teenagers are still children in adult bodies. some will be more adult-like than others, but they are still children nonetheless.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:03 AM   #122
GranolanRainbows
Rose Bush

Holding my babes in my arms and God's Word in my heart.

GranolanRainbows is a glorious beacon of lightGranolanRainbows is a glorious beacon of lightGranolanRainbows is a glorious beacon of lightGranolanRainbows is a glorious beacon of lightGranolanRainbows is a glorious beacon of lightGranolanRainbows is a glorious beacon of light

Love, love, love this. And I just shared it with my husband!
GranolanRainbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:20 AM   #123
jennyven

This is a great reminder...I think of my eldest being kindergarten age and while he has grown so much, he is still such a little guy.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #124
Calee
Deactivated

Calee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond repute

I'm new and just read this and really appreciate it. I generally see my 2 year old as a baby, but face so much pressure from others to push him. (Isn't he potty trained yet? Why is he still in a crib? Why haven't you cut his hair yet-he needs a BIG BOY HAIRCUT) I am confident in the decisions we have made, but it is still really good to read and be reminded that he is still a REALLY little guy, and he has plenty of time to grow up. (Why rush it???!)
Calee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #125
firecarrier
Rosebud

I have not been given a spirit of fear, but of POWER and LOVE and a SOUND MIND!

firecarrier will become famous soon enough

This is a really interesting idea and it just 'sounds' right to me, sadly though I feel awful because I didn't have this attitude when my now 10 year old DS was small, he was only nearly 3 when DD was born and I really regret the high expectations I placed on him My DD has been 'treated' much better and if I have another I'm sure I will be even more in line with this thinking, What a shame for my eldest Also I wasn't a christian( and have been gradually becoming a better parent since)until he was 5 but I am trying to make up for 'lost time' with him
firecarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #126
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecarrier View Post
This is a really interesting idea and it just 'sounds' right to me, sadly though I feel awful because I didn't have this attitude when my now 10 year old DS was small, he was only nearly 3 when DD was born and I really regret the high expectations I placed on him My DD has been 'treated' much better and if I have another I'm sure I will be even more in line with this thinking, What a shame for my eldest Also I wasn't a christian( and have been gradually becoming a better parent since)until he was 5 but I am trying to make up for 'lost time' with him

welcome to gcm.

we are also big on extending grace to ourselves around here

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
Aisling (09-25-2010), firecarrier (07-28-2010)
Old 09-25-2010, 09:30 AM   #127
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

I remember once (a good while back) being on the phone with Crystal, right after E had turned four...I said something about her doing something sweet and baby-like, and she murmured, "At four, they really ARE still babies!" That really was a turning point for E and my relationship.

You're very right, Heather, and it always really melts my heart and softens my expectations on them and myself when I remember all the things you mentioned; I'm glad you posted it again, because, now, with three "babies", it's good to hear.
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #128
1bellamarie

Thank you so much for this post! People think I'm nutty for not encouraging DS to be a "big boy" yet. I follow his lead and if he needs to snuggle or be carried during outings, so be it! My dad always told me, "Stop trying to grow up so fast! You're only a kid once but you're a grown up forever!"

Christine
Old 10-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #129
Melodicwanderer

Thank you so much for this!! Definitely something I will keep in mind and heart as our little one grows.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #130
FamilyLove
Rose Bouquet

FamilyLove is a name known to allFamilyLove is a name known to allFamilyLove is a name known to allFamilyLove is a name known to allFamilyLove is a name known to allFamilyLove is a name known to allFamilyLove is a name known to allFamilyLove is a name known to all

I read this yesterday, and it has stayed with me all day today. DD (age 3) is really still a baby now. I see that clearly now rather than seeing her through the eyes of our society.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #131
lmd0137

I find that viewing them as babies until 5 is great. It helps so much with patience about the small things. It is easy to forget how young they really are. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #132
MiriamRose
Rose Garden

Growing is hard work

MiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond repute

Mine isn't even 1 yet, but this really helps...I think there has been some kind of subconscious expectation that after 1 he will suddenly not be a "baby" and will rapidly become much more independent and mature. Ha! I know he will grow fast and gain in independence and maturity, but this helps me be ready to take it as it comes instead of forcing it.

It's also an ah-ha moment for me as I'm starting to think about wanting to add another child to our family and what it will be like to have 2. I think part of me somehow thought Z needed to be "not a baby" before we have another. This really frees me from that and helps me to accept that it's ok to have another whenever it's really right for our family. I have to admit though that part of me is really scared of having 2 babies...one newborn and one bigger baby. Whether I will be able to handle it and not become an overwhelmed, depressed, not nice mommy, whether I will be able to love and nurse both babies and not lose my mind. I'm also afraid of Z weaning earlier than he might have otherwise.

Wife to my Submariner for 5 years!
MiriamRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:38 AM   #133
louise_t

Wow, that's such a powerful idea/paradigm shift. I often think how much less stressful and more enjoyable parenting is when we commit to not expecting too much from our kids and demonstrating that we love them unconditionally no matter what. I'm going to print the post out for when DS is a bit older and I start getting frustrated with him!
Old 12-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #134
eunbieunjuumma

A nice reminder to lower expectations.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:52 AM   #135
Mama2MeadowRose
Rose Garden

Mama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond repute

In various places, the Bible does address weaning. Probably the most well-known example is Samuel. When he was weaned, his mother gave him over to Samuel to be given to the priest Eli to minister in the Temple. There's no way he was any younger than 3 years old. He had to have been able to serve in some way even at that young age. But there's no way Hannah handed a baby over to Eli. My husband just told me that typically Jewish people taught their children to read from the Torah at age 3. So children were techniquely considered infants until at least age 3, not like 9 months to a year like here in America. Why do American parents tend to make their children grow up too fast? Because of American philosophy, we have so many emotionally detached children. And need I mention breastfeeding? 6 Months old is not old enough to be weaned from the best nutrition source available - mama's milk. I used to be just like every other American who thought that breastfeeding a child who is able to walk already is just disgusting. But not anymore now knowing the nutrional benefits of breastmilk and just how much tiny children still need unconditional love and affection. Yes, even if they can walk at 9 months, they are still precious little babies who need as much kindness and love we can give them!
Mama2MeadowRose is offline   Reply With Quote