Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 01-20-2023, 10:57 AM   #46
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: January meals

I made a pork roast with carrots and potatoes for my family last night and they said the carrots were still raw. Oh well. I took my friend out to dinner for her birthday!

Tonight and tomorrow I'll be experimenting with yellowfin tuna caught in the gulf that a friend gave me. We aren't really raw fish people but I'm willing to try
Old 01-23-2023, 01:05 PM   #47
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

How did the tuna turn out?

Tonight is Soup and Salad night. DH may have some sourdough bread ready to bake off to go with it. He found a recipe for potato soup flavored like Salt and Vinegar potato chips that looks interesting.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 03:12 PM   #48
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
How did the tuna turn out?

Tonight is Soup and Salad night. DH may have some sourdough bread ready to bake off to go with it. He found a recipe for potato soup flavored like Salt and Vinegar potato chips that looks interesting.
I didn't end up making it, but think I will tonight.
ViolaMum (01-25-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 11:25 PM   #49
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Monday was stir fry ramen with vegetables
tonight was baked ziti
I don't cook dinner on Wednesdays however it is a prep day for week 2 between pay. SO tonight/Tomorrow I'm making prepping..

1) blueberry muffins (box mix)
2) chicken salad
3) hard boiled eggs
4) chickpea based veggie patties
5) yogurt (if I can pickup some milk)
Old 01-25-2023, 06:07 AM   #50
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

I cooked that tuna on Monday and way overdid it. It's supposed to be raw or rare. Seared for like a minute on each side. I think I got my pan too hot because it cooked through. My friend said she'd give me another package of it. They fish once a year and this year brought home 700 pounds of tuna!

Last night was tacos. Also made banana muffins. I got a really nice muffin pan for Christmas and I've been experimenting. These were really good! Not healthy at all but yummy!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
ViolaMum (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 01:08 PM   #51
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

That's a lot of fish!

We had steak tacos last night.

For tonight, I'm thinking either chicken cutlets or Chicken Parm over spaghetti squash and zoodles.

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
Old 01-26-2023, 11:20 AM   #52
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
Wow! I wish I had tried Chicago style pizza when I was in Chicago last month.
We were too cold to walk all the way to the place that served it, so we just ducked into a different pizza place that served regular pizza.

I was in the grocery store a couple of days ago and saw blocks of feta on sale for $3.00, so I bought one to try that baked feta/cherry tomato pasta dish that was trending everywhere a while back. I made it last night, but I added some diced chicken, lots of garlic, and red pepper flakes. It was so, so good. I want to go buy more feta now so I am make it again next month.

I would like to make the feta pasta, but I'm worried that the tomato skins will be a texture issue for me. I'm the dork who picks out the minimal pieces of tomato skin in a can of diced tomatoes. Any thoughts?

This week so far we've had chili on Sunday, cacio e pepe on Monday, and lemon butter tilapia, brown rice, and roasted mediterranean veggies, marinated Greek salad on Tuesday(didn't much like any of this). Last night we went out to eat. Tonight I'm planning to make cashew chicken over rice, roasted carrots, and bean sprout salad. Tomorrow night is pizza and lasagna for the weekend.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 02:19 PM   #53
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

Schnitzel, roasted turnips, and Brussels sprouts tonight.

The kids keep singing about it.

Old 01-26-2023, 04:54 PM   #54
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
I would like to make the feta pasta, but I'm worried that the tomato skins will be a texture issue for me. I'm the dork who picks out the minimal pieces of tomato skin in a can of diced tomatoes. Any thoughts?
The skins might bother you. I’ve made this dish with regular sized tomatoes, too. There’s more liquid, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing...you could add some extra feta to balance it. You could blanch them and peel them first.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
charla (01-26-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 03:28 PM   #55
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post

I don't have an issue with tomato skin necessarily, but most of my children usually hate any sauce with chunks of tomato. Even when I make pizza, some will pick the little tomato chunks off if I use a jar of pasta sauce instead of pizza sauce. They all ate it and some got seconds.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
charla (01-28-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 08:57 PM   #56
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

I made a lovely pot of chili for dinner last night which no one ate. (The teens went to a party, so I gave them a pass. The Littles, though .... ) I bought corn chips on the way home from church today in order to bribe the rest of them into eating chili for lunch. The chips are gone. There's still chili.

Dh made pizza for dinner.

Old 01-29-2023, 09:09 PM   #57
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

Hamburgers with oven fries. I need to meal plan for the week! I think tomorrow will be some kind of pasta dish using what I have

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2023, 10:52 AM   #58
Close2MyHeart
Rose Garden

Back for Friendships

Close2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond repute

This yr my husband and I decided to start planning meals and shopping accordingly. This is how I did it yeaarrrss ago, but over the past 7 or so yrs I've not been doing that. Life shifted for me from being a married SAHM to a divorced single working mom and then to a remarried working mom, sooo things changed a lot and with it meal planning went out the window. A lot of times it was just "Whatever we can grab"

So in January we decided to be much better. We still do pizza/take out Fridays, but otherwise, here's our list of meals:

Italian Wedding Soup
Chili (quite a few times as it's a favorite)
Orange Chicken w/ rice and veggies
Burgers and Fries
Pot Roast with Veggies
Chicken Gyros
Jambalaya
Pasta Fagioli
Pulled Pork Sandwiches, Salad
Chicken Alfredo with broccoli
Sloppy Joes, salad
Chicken Parmesan, pasta, salad
Must-Goes (what we call leftovers... we had this a few times! lol)
Zuppa Toscana
Shepherd's Pie
Tuna Casserole
Pork Chops w/ Roasted veggies
Panzella Salad w/ chicken
Roasted chicken, mashed cauliflower, veggies
Chicken Gnocchi Soup, Salad

Writing it all out like this, I see we should probably incorporate more veggies!

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post

I was in the grocery store a couple of days ago and saw blocks of feta on sale for $3.00, so I bought one to try that baked feta/cherry tomato pasta dish that was trending everywhere a while back. I made it last night, but I added some diced chicken, lots of garlic, and red pepper flakes. It was so, so good. I want to go buy more feta now so I am make it again next month.
I have been wanting to make this! It looks delicious!
DS1(21), DS2(20), BD1(20), DD1(19), BS1(17), DS3(16), BS2(14), DD2(14), BD2(10), BD3 (8)
(B = Bonus/Step)

Last edited by Close2MyHeart; 01-30-2023 at 10:49 AM.
Close2MyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote