Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 01-01-2023, 09:14 PM   #1
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default January meals

I thought I would start this months, and because I was excited about dinner.

Does anyone else eat black eyed peas on new years day?

I made what I and dh thought were really amazing black eyed peas, collared greens and corn bread for dinner tonight.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
mummy2boys (01-05-2023), Singingmom (01-02-2023)
Old 01-01-2023, 09:51 PM   #2
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: January meals

This is one area of my life where I am a bad Southerner. (Well, that, and I really stink at handwriting Thank-you notes)
I have not made black eyed peas for new years in about 15 years.

I made chili tonight, with three kids of beans. None of which were black eyed peas.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:13 PM   #3
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

If love a good recipe for black eyed peas, but, no, we don’t. We had a full roasted turkey and homemade honey rolls and the rest of thanksgiving sides.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 09:28 PM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I made these black eyed peas with corn muffins. They were so good https://minimalistbaker.com/smoky-in...-greens-vegan/

Tonight we had taco soup because we had 4 open bags of tortilla chips (seriously, what is wrong with people???)

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 09:45 PM   #5
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
I made these black eyed peas with corn muffins. They were so good https://minimalistbaker.com/smoky-in...-greens-vegan/

Tonight we had taco soup because we had 4 open bags of tortilla chips (seriously, what is wrong with people???)
We had five bags of open pasta! Gah!
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 10:29 PM   #6
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
We had five bags of open pasta! Gah!
Did you make it all at once in some giant pasta meal with mixed kinds? I totally would have!

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 11:12 PM   #7
ECingMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
Did you make it all at once in some giant pasta meal with mixed kinds? I totally would have!
Oh, my, word, it was the same kind of spaghetti from Costco! I can't fathom why they opened a new one every time! Gah! But, it will get eaten over the next couple of months. Teens!
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (01-03-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 07:58 AM   #8
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

I made a one pot pasta dish with chicken and pesto last night. It was easy and a good way to use up the pesto.

Probably making Thai peanut noodles and some slaw tonight. I need to figure out how to add some protein that is not chicken.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (01-03-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 10:30 AM   #9
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Last night was charcuterie. I was so tired so was so glad that all I had to do was put it out.

Tonight I'm going to try to make a creamy crockpot chicken thing to put over rice. Don't have a recipe so going to make it up. Speaking of which, I better get started! I'll serve green beans with it.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 04:14 PM   #10
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
Last night was charcuterie. I was so tired so was so glad that all I had to do was put it out.

Tonight I'm going to try to make a creamy crockpot chicken thing to put over rice. Don't have a recipe so going to make it up. Speaking of which, I better get started! I'll serve green beans with it.
My sister and I started calling charcuterie Shark Coochie Coochie for some odd reason. (Okay, cause we're weird!) That's what we had on Christmas and NYE.

We're staying in a hotel for a speech tournament this week, so all our meals are ad-hoc and portable. I may have eaten nothing but granola bars and tic-tacs today.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
charla (01-04-2023), ECingMama (01-05-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 03:14 AM   #11
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
I thought I would start this months, and because I was excited about dinner.
Thank you for starting this! It's been crazy here with people staying over after Christmas and I'm only just getting back on board

Tonight we had Beef Goulash and rice.

As an Australian I have to ask....what are black eyed peas???
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 11:27 AM   #12
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Black eyed peas are a type of bean, they are in the cowpea family. They have a light color except for a black dot. On the inside of the curve.

They were first domesticated in Africa and came to the American south with the slaves. For a very long time in the American south they were the slave food they could grow them selves and after the civil war they were generally pore people's food. It was a good basic crop because both livestock and people could eat it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
mummy2boys (01-13-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 10:05 PM   #13
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I made a huge batch of this Hungarian Goulash and everyone loved it.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (01-05-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 02:59 AM   #14
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Last night was quinoa and chickpeas bowls

other meals no particular order

Black bean and rice Mexican skillet with broccoli and avocado

ham and potato soup serving with some yeast rolls

black bean stuffed potatoes (sweet for girls and myself, russet for DH)

biscuit bubble pizza with bagged salad

Italian vegetable pasta soup

Crockpot Lentil Sloppy Joes

something with whatever meat I have right now in my freezer probably chicken..
Old 01-06-2023, 12:37 PM   #15
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
My sister and I started calling charcuterie Shark Coochie Coochie for some odd reason. (Okay, cause we're weird!) That's what we had on Christmas and NYE.

We're staying in a hotel for a speech tournament this week, so all our meals are ad-hoc and portable. I may have eaten nothing but granola bars and tic-tacs today.

Tournament eating is something I struggle with. At the one last January I was thankful my adult kids recognized my low blood sugar and got me a Lotus. How did the tournament go?

NY day we had normal something.

Tonight is beef shepherd’s pie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save