Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 09-25-2022, 03:37 PM   #1
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone have butcher block counters?

We are re-doing our island. It's a bi-level with a cooktop. We are removing the cooktop, making the island all one level, and buying a range to go where the wall oven is (not part of the island).

We are getting butcher block for the island for a few reasons. One, I think it looks lovely. Two, we eventually plan to replace the other counters but we don't know with what. I don't want to have to try and match what we get for the island.

Wondering if anyone else has butcher block counters and how you've cared for them.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 04:48 PM   #2
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Laurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone have butcher block counters?

We had them in our last house. I loved how they looked but they felt high maintenance. Ours butted up to the sink and water definitely damaged them. I also didn't love that I couldn't put hot things on them. But the good thing was that we did sand them and re-oil them once and they looked good!

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

I just looked on Redfin and found pictures of our old kitchen. We installed them 24 years ago and they still look good in the pics!
DD1 (24), married to my dearly loved son-in-law
DD2 (22)
DS (19)
Laurlor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laurlor For This Useful Post:
Allison (09-28-2022), kiloyd (09-25-2022), Singingmom (09-25-2022), Soliloquy (09-25-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 05:00 PM   #3
MudPies
I support GCM!

My kiddos

MudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond repute

Our island is butcher block- unsealed. I use wax or oil when it needs it. I really like it.
Wink 3/10 Pink 12/10
and Tink 5/16
Remembering
MudPies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MudPies For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (09-25-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 05:20 PM   #4
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Laurlor, your photos would sell me on it! So warm and beautiful.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (09-29-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 05:51 PM   #5
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

My mom had wood counters in her house. She used a sealent that was designed for wooden boats. They were amazing - you couldn't cut on them but they were beautiful and held up well to lots of cooking and spills.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Llee (09-28-2022), Soliloquy (09-25-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 07:59 PM   #6
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurlor View Post
We had them in our last house. I loved how they looked but they felt high maintenance. Ours butted up to the sink and water definitely damaged them. I also didn't love that I couldn't put hot things on them. But the good thing was that we did sand them and re-oil them once and they looked good!

I absolutely love white kitchens! Eventually I'm going to have the cabinets painted white or replaced with white. Your white kitchen is gorgeous! They do still look really good after 24 years!

I did read about water and butcher block next to the sink. That's why I don't think we'll do the whole kitchen with butcher block. I think having it on the island will look nice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (09-29-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 05:31 AM   #7
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

I would love a butcher block island because it is a perfect bread making surface. I'd make sweet rolls every day!

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (09-29-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 09:32 AM   #8
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute

We replaced one of our kitchen counters (where the sink is) with butcher block this year, and plan to do the rest of the counters and island with butcher block next year.

My parents already have butcher block counters in their place, and they opted to seal them with polyurethane, which gave them a nice sheen and made them absolutely impervious to water. I think Tung Oil, which is a marine sealant, has the same effect.

I personally like the way that butcher block ages with time, so I opted to do upkeep with wax and oils. It's a lot more work up front when the wood is still dry and continuously absorbing layers of oil, but eventually you can move to products with a higher wax-to-oil ratio that lasts longer and gives a smoother finish. The patina will build up to the point where you don't need to re-apply so often; we're a little less than 3 months in now and only need to re-apply it bi-weekly. We do have trivets to hold our hot items and are mindful of sitting water near the sink, but I don't feel particularly nervous about the water or wear on the counter.
Soliloquy (09-28-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 05:05 PM   #9
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute

Following...I'm thinking of doing butcher block in the kitchen I'm building. My dad has all. The. Wood. Tools. So I can make it exactly like I want.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:12 PM   #10
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by domesticzookeeper View Post
We replaced one of our kitchen counters (where the sink is) with butcher block this year, and plan to do the rest of the counters and island with butcher block next year.

My parents already have butcher block counters in their place, and they opted to seal them with polyurethane, which gave them a nice sheen and made them absolutely impervious to water. I think Tung Oil, which is a marine sealant, has the same effect.

I personally like the way that butcher block ages with time, so I opted to do upkeep with wax and oils. It's a lot more work up front when the wood is still dry and continuously absorbing layers of oil, but eventually you can move to products with a higher wax-to-oil ratio that lasts longer and gives a smoother finish. The patina will build up to the point where you don't need to re-apply so often; we're a little less than 3 months in now and only need to re-apply it bi-weekly. We do have trivets to hold our hot items and are mindful of sitting water near the sink, but I don't feel particularly nervous about the water or wear on the counter.

Thanks for all this info! What products are you using?

We are having ours installed and he said he would oil them but I want to look into the options and decide what oil I want to use moving forward (and maybe what should be used the firs time? I don't know if it matters).
Old 09-29-2022, 12:06 AM   #11
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
We are having ours installed and he said he would oil them but I want to look into the options and decide what oil I want to use moving forward (and maybe what should be used the firs time? I don't know if it matters).
Before you oil them, you might find this article interesting: https://www.drivenbydecor.com/treati...s-mineral-oil/

We are also looking into getting butcher block countertops and I really appreciated the info on that page.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaybeGracie For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (09-29-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 09:10 AM   #12
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeGracie View Post
Before you oil them, you might find this article interesting: https://www.drivenbydecor.com/treati...s-mineral-oil/

We are also looking into getting butcher block countertops and I really appreciated the info on that page.
Very good info! Which is why I would never use oil alone on the counters, and IMO the beeswax is essential to getting both a longer-lasting and grease-free surface protection. Oil does build up in the wood over time and is essential for that early seasoning, but the wax is what gives you the smooth and polished surface over the seasoned wood.

We started seasoning our counter with this, frequently and generously at first, and backing off on the amount as the wood 'drank' less of it in each time. Rule of thumb was to see how quickly it starts to looke matte and dry, and how long water will bead on the surface before being absorbed (a really well-seasoned counter does not absorb water with any speed): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now we're maintaining with this. Dry wipe the counter clean, apply the wax thoroughly but not in excess, allow to sit for an hour and then buff. After that it's water-resistant and totally smooth to the touch: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, I'd highly recommend getting a lil' plastic putty knife from the hardware store. Best way to clean up stuck-on food without resorting to methods that could strip your counters.

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

Just wanted to add that every finish option is going to have its downsides, so I think the best way to be really happy with your counters is to decide ahead of time the amount of upkeep that you're happy maintaining.

I've lived with a high-use Tung oil surface before, and I didn't personally love the way that it aged to have shinier areas mixed in with worn down/chipped-through duller areas. IME it is longer lasting than wax and oil, but not nearly as durable as polyurethane, and refinishing it periodically is a much bigger task than maintaining wax and oil...but you also do it a LOT less often. Kind of a six of one, half-dozen of the other situation

https://www.addicted2decorating.com/...ot-pretty.html (she ultimately stripped her counters and went with mineral oil alone, which I wouldn't personally do, but it reflects my experiences with tung oil)

https://waterlox.com/guide-cleaning-...shed-surfaces/

https://waterlox.com/guide-refreshin...ished-surface/

Last edited by domesticzookeeper; 09-29-2022 at 09:13 AM.
domesticzookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to domesticzookeeper For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (09-29-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 11:46 AM   #13
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

My sister had them, but her husband LOVES maintenance work. They were pretty.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote