View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 01:49 AM   #2
GCM_Sticky
master maker of stickies

GCM_Sticky has disabled reputation
Default Re: Collected Comfort Corner Comments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: How to introduce the comfort corner with a two year old?
Post by: purstrength on March 31, 2005, 09:19:49 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first question, I suppose is can I use a blanket...a moveable spot? I have a very small one bedroom apartment. :/

Secondly, if I feel Berkley needs some time to relax, should I just invite her to the blanket to read books and just mention something that we're on this blanket to help us calm down? She has an amazing vocabulary for her age and understands a lot as long as I use the correct language. (wording things correctly)

Thank you

Title: Re: How to introduce the comfort corner with a two year old?
Post by: godsgracegiven on April 01, 2005, 03:29:13 AM

My lap was the comfort corner, when my kiddos were two. It was closer to three when I started using an actual spot.

Post by: purstrength on April 01, 2005, 01:08:04 PM

Thank you! I hadn't really thought of that!

Post by: ArmsOfLove on April 01, 2005, 07:14:24 PM

Absolutely to everything You might want to have a blanket or a special huggy object that you can have with you while you cuddle and eventually she might want to have it for some time alone too but the wording is great--very positive and "tool" focused.

Title: Wanna see my comfort corner? Pic is up!
Post by: JJsMom on April 07, 2005, 12:09:46 PM

Hopefully, I can figure this out. This is my new comfort corner! I just set it up yesterday and JJ loves it! He wants to spend lots of time in there! He keeps pulling me there! I have been looking for a way to get through this hitting phase, so when he hit me yesterday, I asked him if he needed a little break and he got excited and pulled me there! We snuggled and read a book and he didn't hit me the rest of the day yesterday! He did hit me today, but I was in the middle of working with chicken, so I couldn't follow through. I'm really excited about this! Our comfort corner is in our room, that's our bathroom door in the pic.

Title: Comfort Corner Question
Post by: CJ on April 07, 2005, 09:19:16 PM

Okay, I'm thinking of a hypothetical situation that could easily happen on any given day here. DS (5) is pestering DD (3) and after numerous atempts at redirection, modeling and teaching appropriate behavior, and he continues with the pestering, I tell him he needs to sit in the comfort corner. At first he says "no!" I give him the choice to go by himself or take him there myself.
Firstly, what if I can't stay there with him--baby needs me or DD needs me for something else--getting lunch, help with potty, nursing--not something that can't wait.

Secondly, how do you handle it when a child claims, "I'm ready!" before he/she goes to the comfort corner? It seems like a way to get out of going.

I have more questions but I'll start there.

Thanks

Title: Re: Comfort Corner Question
Post by: Joanne on April 08, 2005, 05:19:05 AM

I tell him he needs to sit in the comfort corner. At first he says "no!" I give him the choice to go by himself or take him there myself.
Firstly, what if I can't stay there with him--baby needs me or DD needs me for something else--getting lunch, help with potty, nursing--not something that can't wait.

First, I want to make sure you understand that the comfort corner is not a nice name for a time out.

With that clarified, the purpose of the comfort corner is to regroup, not to regret. Remember you are teaching him skills that will help him his whole life. The skill of how to move out of a space where he is acting out and into a space where he is social and cooperative. We don't punish adults when they are in a bad space. We (usually) ask them what's wrong and how can we help them. You are teaching him how to help himself.

You, and the baby and even a snack can go to the comfort corner. It's less a place than an event or process. As much as you can, you want to make the comfort corner something they want to do.

I realize the comfort corner is something that is difficult to embrace when a person comes from a punitive culture. It's not rewarding bad behavior. It's a place to positively and proactively change it.

Title: Re: Comfort Corner Question
Post by: CJ on April 09, 2005, 07:30:35 AM

I understand the idea behind comfort corners and the process and fully agree with their effectiveness. I used a similar concept in the classroom when I was teaching 1st and 2nd grade and it was wonderful! I'm just trouble-shooting while I await DH's response to Crystal's post about the comfort corner idea--hoping we can really put one in place soon. I just know that there are times when I am not available to go with one of my children at that moment. And in the previously mentioned situation, how does DD feel when I'm sitting in the CC, nursing baby and hanging out with the one who's been pestering her for the last however long? (BTW it's not always DS who's doing the pestering, it may be the reverse!

Title: Those with actual comfort corners...
Post by: milkmommy on April 18, 2005, 05:04:31 PM

How do you keep them from being destroyed? We don't have an actual comfort corner (no room) its just the couch with her special blanket.. but the ones I've seen look nice but I'm thinking gosh my DD would have it picked apart with in a day. Do you make a comfort corner to have them go to when they destroy the first one. So they really just leave it alone?

Deanna

Title: Re: Those with actual comfort corners...
Post by: SingingPraise on April 18, 2005, 08:19:40 PM

My daughter says i clean up faster then they can mess it up. lol
???
I do i guess
I clean all day long. They hit one room, i clean up the last one. they come back in, i clean up the room they just destroyed.
isn't that my job? lol

Post by: milkmommy on April 18, 2005, 08:26:04 PM

Well on a way yes cleaning is a nonstop thing,, I just wondered if the comfort corners to be used as a comfort spot when needed but when its needed its a mess what good it does,.. or does it stay neat. I mean yes clean but not ALL day and I'd rather be doing something with my DD or posting here

Deanna

Post by: DogwoodMama on April 19, 2005, 06:48:15 AM

I'm wondering does it interfere with the actual function? If not, I wouldn't worry about it, just clean it up at a set point or two during the day (we do before lunch, before dh comes home and before bed around here)... well, we don't have a comfort corner, actually, just a couch like the one you also have for Cecilia. I guess I'm still the comfort corner now.

Post by: LoveToReadMommy on April 19, 2005, 04:06:43 PM

Mine is just a beanbag and a teddy bear on it. A basket with toys/books is nearby. My girls are older though. (just turned 4 and almost 6)

Title: Creating a Comfort Corner
Post by: fourbygrace on March 20, 2005, 10:43:46 PM

I am working on creating a comfort corner and though tof the idea to get a little sign that says "Comfort Corner". My house is sort of country style and I have a cute wooden sign in my bathroom that says "Bath". I was thinking that maybe I could find some crafter that would custom make me a sign that says " Comfort Corner".

Do you think this is hokey? over the top? or making into more than it should be?

Title: Re: Creating a Comfort Corner
Post by: Radosny Matka on March 21, 2005, 10:57:42 AM

Very cute idea, and what a great way to "open the door" to letting others know what it is and why it's there. That sign will definately prompt some questions.

Post by: phermion on March 21, 2005, 12:53:31 PM

My kids love to lable things, so they would think it was really cool! And what a way to accent your decor! You could always take it down if you don't like it.

Post by: Sara on March 21, 2005, 01:07:59 PM

Oh, I love that idea! And I don't think it is hokey at all.

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.08060 seconds
  • Memory Usage 7,023KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below