View Single Post
Old 11-11-2022, 06:53 PM   #6
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freezing Baked Treats- Experiences?

Freeze the frostings and icings separately. I freeze cream cheese frosting and buttercreams routinely; just make sure to thaw thoroughly before use.

Any quick bread is fine. Off hand I can't think of any that have been problematic for me.

If your M&M cookies are similar to a chocolate chip cookie dough, they'll work, too.

Cupcakes are great to freeze. I've not had a problem with the papers. If they're going to get yucky, it's usually in the cooling process when they sometimes peel off the cupcake.

Biscotti typically freezes well. I favor Rocco DiSpirito's recipe at Food Network as a base - it's made with olive oil, not butter, so that may make a difference. It has THE PERFECT dunking texture! I have some GF pumpkin biscotti in the freezer right now. If you can wait til tomorrow, I can report on that recipe!

Cheesecake - let's see. I used to make mini cheesecakes in muffin tins and freeze those. They usually turned out fine, unless I left them in the freezer too long and they got freezer burn. Let thaw slowly and completely. There might be a little loss of texture, nothing a fresh topping won't fix!

I usually freeze the dough or batter and bake things off as I need them. Every year I have three or four doughs in the freezer. Anything like snickerdoodles, rolled sugar cookies, candy cane twists, Italian sesame, keep in the freezer nicely. Danish and croissant doughs freeze beautifully. Take them out the night before you want to use and thaw in the fridge. You can bake off the next day.

I freeze my mom's fig cookies baked but not frosted. She makes a brown sugar rolled cut-out cookie every year

I can't say for sure on the dipped cookies. Usually that kind of thing works out well, but it depends on the base cookie.

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
Drop cookies (like chocolate chip, oatmeal, etc) do ok frozen in balls and thawed to bake. I have one cookie that requires rolling in balls, and then logs, then baking and dipping, that I sometimes freeze at the ball stage.
I have tried freezing the peanut butter blossoms at ball stage and that didn't go so well. They just tasted odd. I have another that fits rolled into a ball, then pressed into sugar. Those are ok at ball stage to freeze, so I might do those.

I have found that a lot of cookies brown unevenly after the dough has been frozen. I don't know why.

Any idea about the cheesecake?
I don't portion the dough, just put it in a zip-loc bag, press out all the air. I think it's the exposure to air that alters the dough enough to not bake well.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.28106 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,970KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo