View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 12:52 AM   #15
GCM_Sticky
master maker of stickies

GCM_Sticky has disabled reputation
Default Re: Collected Comfort Corner Comments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: My toddler has given *herself* a comfort corner!
Post by: arwen_tiw on June 28, 2006, 04:04:21 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here was Mummy still protesting that we don't have the space to have a "proper" one.

She has had this massive (really ratty looking) cardboard box in the corner for a little while now, since our friends had to come to stay and all the comic books got unpacked - well she loved playing in it for a week or so and then for no good reason it stayed. Well I noticed the other day that she has started taking herself into her box and shutting the "doors" to get some alone time when she's sad or stressed out and isn't ready to come for cuddles yet. We have a comfort corner!

She uses it for naps too, she likes to drag all the blankets she can find inside it and make a nest. So it's her universal chill-out space. Isn't that cool? Teaches me to stop saying that something isn't possible - even my two year old can work it out.

Title: Re: My toddler has given *herself* a comfort corner!
Post by: kosmom on June 28, 2006, 06:32:24 AM

That is so cute! I remember when I was little and how cardboard boxes were just THE BOMB. My Kindergarten teacher had a huge one set up full of pillows and books and a light bulb hanging through the roof ( okay that would be a serious infraction with the fire marshal nowadays) but we LOVED it!! I wonder if she was really using it for those of us who just couldn't calm down...or as a stealthy "time-out" place. Anyway, we loved it.

I think it's so neat that your dd did that for herself! Kids are so smart.

Post by: Danette on June 28, 2006, 06:50:09 AM

That is really cute.... you need to take a picture of it.

Post by: kazoo on June 28, 2006, 07:59:20 AM

Hey, I just noticed yesterday that my DS, almost 3, made his own comfort corner as well! I'd noticed it before, but yesterday it was very obvious. He was upset about something and ran to the space that's between the couch and big chair. Stayed in there for a few mins, and then came out and was OK. It made me happy that he is developing good coping skills. That is a space that we have sometimes made into a fort for him and had fun with, so it definitely has a positive connotation. At first I was going to go after him, and then it dawned on me that he *wanted* to be by himself in there for a little bit. So I did something nearby and waited until he came out to give him hugs and go on to the next thing. We've never talked about comfort corner or anything like that, so I thought it was awesome to see that he would do this own his own, like your dd also did.

Post by: arwen_tiw on June 28, 2006, 09:35:09 AM

It's funny how they seem to instinctively come out with the same things that take us months of learning and reading to find out. I love that she knows when she wants space and marks out her territory like that - I tried to go in there to talk to her after I shouted earlier and she said, "No Mumma, door close! Door close!" I had to wait to apologise until she was done calming down, silly me for not taking the hint eh?

I love cardboard boxes, they're amongst the best best toys. I remember when I was little we had a new fridge and the massive box it came in stayed out in the garden for nearly two weeks of our summer holidays until it got rained on.

Title: at what age do you use a comfort corner?
Post by: joyful mama on September 02, 2005, 08:50:15 PM

is my dd, at 20 months, too young to understand this? I've tried it a couple of times, but she doesn't want to stay there... do I make her stay there, or is she supposed to of her own will?

Title: Re: at what age do you use a comfort corner?
Post by: milkmommy on September 02, 2005, 08:54:57 PM

It wasn't untill after two that a "real" comfort "corner" was used, we use a little toddler couch but before trying to get her to stay was too much. So we'd have comfort rooms meanning her bedroom she did better if she could really move her big feeling out, now shes older and does fine with a smaller space.

Post by: sadie on September 02, 2005, 08:57:48 PM

Well, it's not supposed to be a forced thing unless they are totally out of control and hurting themselves or others. Ideally, it should be a comforting and calming place to go when they need to 'get away'...so I personally would not force a child to go there, or determine how long she has to stay, etc. It's not a time out. It should be a tool that is in 'her control,' KWIM? So that she can get familiar with recognizing her own moods and limits and go there to calm down herself someday.

I think, at 20 mo, that it is appropriate to offer to go there with her to cuddle when she is upset or acting out. Also, I would just go there frequently with her to do pleasant and quiet play, so that she starts to associate it with love and nurturing, and is willing to go there to calm down when she is upset. She is too young right now to really get it and start owning it as her own tool to self-discipline, but you can lay the foundation for her by introducing it as a safe place.

ETA, Deanna, good point. At younger ages, children usually need more space than a corner provides to get their feelings out.

Post by: joyful mama on September 03, 2005, 10:05:31 AM

Makes sense... fortunately, she gets over her frustrations pretty quickly (most of the time) and cuddles in the glider or my bed works... I thought maybe she was too young to really 'get it', but wasn't sure.. guess it also depends on the child... hmmmm . I learn something new everyday!!

Post by: milkmommy on September 03, 2005, 10:13:59 AM

She'll "get it" at an age appropiate level. She might get that this is where mommy and I come to make me feel better... and thats a great step. An older child can eventually learn to stop them selfs and find the corner them selfs. Mine does this I haven't had to "tell" her to use the comfort corner in months she just goes when she's sad. We've recently been able to dialouge more also after.. Honestly its gets better and better.

=========================================
using the comfort corner for dd with special needs
Post by: krista1966 05-11-2005 04:14 PM
===========================================

I am trying the comfort corner with my daughter who has special needs. Would you recommend any thing to be done differently with a special needs children?
thanks
Krista

---------------------------------------
ArmsOfLove 05-11-2005 04:39 PM
Re: The Five Steps
---------------------------------------

Only that you will probably need to be willing to go with her more and make sure that she is calming down--help facilitate it more.

---------------------------------
krista1966 05-11-2005 04:42 PM
Re: The Five Steps
---------------------------------

thanks for the quick response Crystal. I will start doing that more part more.
thanks again
Krista

Last edited by GCM_Sticky; 03-22-2010 at 03:36 AM.

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.07742 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,996KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below