Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   The GA Cobb Galeria Homeschool Expo (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=455848)

gpsings 07-28-2012 07:20 AM

The GA Cobb Galeria Homeschool Expo

I think probably 1/3 off the vendors there were marketing some type of child abuse manuals. I'm disgusted because these are supposed to be my homeschool peers. No wonder people think we home-school to hide our child abuse! My oldest and youngest were with me, and I was so proud of how helpful and sweet they were with other kids there, and how my son supported a little girl to 'face her fears' on the treehouse gym...I wanted to shout from the rooftop -Hey! Look here! I don't have to punish my kids and aren't they awesome???
But instead I walked away a bit sad and sick and wondering what I can ever to do help change this for these children?

Yeah, I'm, just venting, but I needed to get this off my chest. This state needs waaaaay more gentle christian mamas.

CelticJourney 07-28-2012 08:02 PM

Re: The GA Cobb Galeria Homeschool Expo

We almost went to that but my ils 50th anniversary was today so we had to do dinner etc. We could have stood together and shook our heads at the insanity.

chasingbutterflies 07-28-2012 08:16 PM

yeah, I believe it. bleh.

twentysixcats 07-28-2012 11:19 PM

That makes me sad. :(

zak 07-29-2012 05:05 AM

:sick :( Stinky! Glad I skipped! I had a pass to go, but didn't feel like taking the fantastic four with me. :lol

gpsings 07-29-2012 08:17 AM

The very first booth upon walking in was a parenting system. 'Gospel based' and from what I could see, very punitive. It seemed like so many places where I wanted to buy something were selling some form of child abuse manual. Even the T-shirt booth was selling ALL of the Pearl books. :sick
I really wanted a tee shirt. :-/
I did get to see Mert and Shannon, and I'm thankful to be in a homeschool group with some others who don't do that sort of thing, (pretty funny that we took turns visiting the tee shirt/ Pearl follower and discussing the evils of TTUAC with him....but he didn't like that.)
I'm glad I was able to go, because my kids had a really good time. I let them go on the rock wall and the treehouse, and I found a good math curriculum for Caden (Right Start) that I don't know if I would have found otherwise, but other than that.....I was sad.
I really feel compelled to share the happiness of gentle parenting with parents who just.don't.know.
I wish ya'll woulda come, though! :heart Would have been nice.

BarefootBetsy 07-29-2012 08:24 AM

There are a lot of gentle parents in my town! But having a lot of military families from CA doesn't hurt :shifty

I don't really want to go to any homeschooling expos after all the stuff I keep hearing about them :(