Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Please help: what to do for mold on ceiling (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=530609)

MrsHutch 03-21-2023 03:50 AM

Please help: what to do for mold on ceiling

We had a cyclone hit two weekends ago and had significant roof leakage. We have a metal roof and a ceiling with nothing in between. Now our ceiling has mold on it in a lot of places, primarily in the living and dining areas in the front of the house.

It is high humidity this time of year, and we don't have heat or a/c so our windows are open all the time. There's nothing we can do about that. It's the end of rainy season, and everything molds this time of year, but it's usually a white fuzzy mold that washes off easily. The ceiling is covered in black spots. :sick

I'm so exhausted and overwhelmed right now by my entire life. I don't have the bandwidth to also wade through all the conflicting internet advice on how to deal with mold in my house and make a plan for what we should do. I just know mold is bad news and I need to do something. Will someone please hold my hand and tell me exactly what to do?

Relevant info: we live in a developing country so mold remediation services aren't an option. It needs to be a DIY kind of thing. We do have access to pretty much any kind of cleaning stuff we may need.

Also should we all be taking anything to help with detox?

Aerynne 03-21-2023 05:40 AM

Re: Please help: what to do for mold on ceiling

Is there a way to get between the roof and the ceiling and see what it looks like up there? Or is the ceiling flush with the roof? What is your ceiling made of and what else is on it? Eg drywall that is painted on the bottom only but not the top (and if so is it regular or moisture resistant drywall), unfinished wood paneling, finished wood paneling, etc?

MrsHutch 03-21-2023 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6280000)
Is there a way to get between the roof and the ceiling and see what it looks like up there? Or is the ceiling flush with the roof? What is your ceiling made of and what else is on it? Eg drywall that is painted on the bottom only but not the top (and if so is it regular or moisture resistant drywall), unfinished wood paneling, finished wood paneling, etc?

There is a big attic type (unused and completely unfinished) space between the ceiling and the roof, we can definitely get up there. The ceiling is... ceiling board. I'm not sure what that's made of. it's kind of like drywall I think? It's a greyish-white without paint, but it's painted white on the bottom side that we see.

knitlove 03-21-2023 08:44 AM

Is there air circulation in the atrac area?

I grew up in a drained swamp and we would regularly scrub the garage drywall with straight beach to reduce the mold.

There are probably better options, and I hope other can help there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MrsHutch 03-21-2023 08:58 AM

Thank you. I think there is? I'm not completely sure I've never personally been up there.

graciousmomma 03-21-2023 12:59 PM

We have an older house and get it on our bathroom ceiling from time to time. Cleaning it with straight bleach generally takes care of it immediately. About 6 months ago, dh cleaned it up and then painted over the top of it with some of this stuff, which has worked better than anything else we've done to keep it away. https://www.lowes.com/pd/KILZ-Mold-a...mer/5000763015

Aerynne 03-21-2023 06:38 PM

I find bleach effective and would spray top and bottom of ceiling plus the roof. but also think you need to put a waterproof barrier on top of the drywall for next time once you are sure it is completely dry. Even a plastic sheeting (even like a plastic bag type material but thicker) Can you fix the roof?

MrsHutch 03-22-2023 01:30 AM

Thanks everybody, yes we're also getting a guy up there to hopefully fix all the holes. We had a new one start leaking in our bedroom last night during another hard rain. :facepalm At least it missed our bed by about a foot. That would have been awful.

Maedchen 03-22-2023 05:53 AM

Please be very careful with the bleach when using it. Often other countries have stronger bleach than what they sell in the US. While we lived in SPain, we used to have to clean the mold with bleach. It was so strong that it induced asthma in our middle child and a trip to the ER in the middle of the night.

Since having to use it so much on the stucco walls, I have a very hard time even opening a bleach bottle here in the states.

Make sure you open all of the windows if you are using it to do a large area in your home.

MrsHutch 03-22-2023 11:29 PM

Thanks for the warning. My youngest has been having asthma problems since yesterday anyway. I read online that hydrogen peroxide is safer and more effective than bleach, so I'll be getting that from the store asap.