Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   A GCM Statement: It's Time to Speak Out Against the Teachings of Michael & Debi Pearl (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=347847)

GCM_Admins 02-25-2010 09:42 PM

A GCM Statement: It's Time to Speak Out Against the Teachings of Michael & Debi Pearl

A GCM Statement: It is Time to Speak Out Against the Teachings of Michael and Debi Pearl

This statement may be re-posted in its entirety.

The admins of Gentle Christian Mothers (GCM) have felt led at this time, as we mourn the loss of seven year old Lydia Shatz[1], to issue a statement of disagreement with Michael and Debi Pearl and their child rearing methods. Not only are their methods extreme and outside the realm of normal and healthy child rearing practices, but the doctrinal foundation for these methods contain a level of heresy, including denial of the Christian doctrine of original sin[2][3], which leave them without biblical basis and at odds with the truth that all are in need of salvation which has been provided through Jesus alone[4].

Though the Pearls affirm the value of relationships in parenting in their attractive "tying heartstrings" message, their harsh teachings are in diametric contrast to building healthy relationships. They advocate "training" and "chastisement" of children, starting in infancy[5][6], using methods and means not described in Scripture -- including using ¼ inch plumber’s supply line as a spanking instrument[7] and claiming that a "proper spanking leaves children without breath to complain"[8] -- for stated purposes of absolving guilt and cleansing the child's soul[9].

The combination of an adversarial us vs. them mindset where the parents must "win," physically "disciplining" children until they surrender their will and show total submission, and false doctrine makes the Pearls' methods dangerous. They present a very distorted picture to the world of what it means to be a follower of Jesus and a Christian parent in the world today. It is time for Michael and Debi Pearl to be held accountable for their teachings. We urge other Christians to join us in speaking out against what Michael and Debi Pearl have been teaching for far too long.

References

1. Godly discipline turned deadly: A controversial child "training" practice comes under fire -- this time from Christians themselves, Lynn Harris, Feb. 22, 2010
2. Second Council of Orange (529)
3. Teaching tape on Romans 5:12-21 by M. Pearl
4. "Michael Pearl on Original Sin: An Analysis," Catez Stevens, October 11, 2005
5. To Train Up a Child, M. Pearl, D. Pearl, chapter 1
6. "In Defense of Biblical Chastisement Part 2," M. Pearl, October 2001
7. Ibid.
8. "Angry Child," M. Pearl, August 1998
9. "In Defense of Biblical Chastisement Part 1," M. Pearl, May 2001

phathui5 03-31-2010 09:07 PM

Re: A GCM Statement: It's Time to Speak Out Against the Teachings of Michael & Debi P

I reposted it in its entirety as a facebook note and tagged a bunch of people.

EmergingMummy 04-26-2010 10:07 PM

Re: A GCM Statement: It's Time to Speak Out Against the Teachings of Michael & Debi P

Just wanted to say "thank you" for this! It seems that the "To Train Up a Child" is the number one book people contact me about. I love having this statement to return to as I advocate for gentle discipline. Even as I'm just meeting all of you here, I'm so thankful for you! Blessings on you and your work, ladies. I'm honoured to be here and learn from you.

amychristine 07-13-2010 08:28 PM

Thank you for standing for the Love that exists in the Life of Jesus. I appreciate this heartfelt response after reading some of 'To Train Up a Child' and feeling a bit confused at whether such tactics are really necessary for parenting children responsibly.

When I spanked my children it felt wrong and I asked the Creator for alternatives. In that my heart has awakened...

I realize we each have our own journey and I hope each parent looks inside their heart to find the answers. Books and experts have their place, but the heart is pure.

Love,
Amy

CelticJourney 10-18-2010 03:51 PM

http://responsivereiding.com/2008/03...eview-sort-of/

A very good review recommended in a previous thread by Wonder Woman.

Hermana Linda 02-01-2011 10:13 PM

Feb. 6, 2011 marks one year since the death of Lydia Schatz. :candle

BCSweetie 05-22-2011 07:23 AM

That's so sad :cry

soshanna 01-03-2012 10:13 PM

I'm shocked to read articles on the link. This is the first time I heard/read this philosophy. Oh my God... Satan is totally involved in this, I'm pretty sure !! Satan could use a verse and turn it into his own meaning, not God's. Scary !

Beautiful Chaos 01-08-2012 07:05 PM

:cryThat is just terrible.

zzubadoo 01-13-2012 12:40 AM

It's so sad when people assume that all Christians agree with the pearls teachings. That breaks my heart. The Pearls really are misquoting scripture :(

amber.pt 02-04-2012 02:51 PM

I'm saddened that people follow teachings like this and don't even questions the questionable!

Gale 02-07-2012 08:29 AM

We had to l,earn the hard way. We were in a church that said that we HAVE to discipline by "spanking in love". Can there really be any love in that????

SewingGreenMama 05-30-2012 03:24 PM

Thank you!
I've been thinking a lot about Grace based parenting lately. Thinking about how God deals with us when we sin.
Your post lines up with a lot of what I've come to think about the Pearls.:yes

sunflowermom 09-13-2012 05:57 AM

Thank you so much for sharing this! Until now, I had no idea what the Pearls' teachings were about, although I am familiar with their names. I am definitely going to do more research and speak out against these teachings.

NurseKristie 12-31-2013 11:16 PM

I'm happy to see people openly calling these methods abusive and dangerous. Too many children have been harmed or killed because of them.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk