Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Quinoa (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=530292)

kdm1984 07-03-2022 09:52 AM

Quinoa

Anyone else a big fan?

ALDI carries a nice chicken quinoa microwavable meal, as well as 90 second microwave rice heat-ups, some of which also contain other grains and rice to go with it.

RiverRock 07-03-2022 10:29 AM

Re: Quinoa

I'm a huge fan. I often cook a large amount and use some to make a Mediterranean type salad (I make up my own recipe, but if you Google Tabouleh you can just substitute couscous for quinoa). Sometimes I'll reheat cooked quinoa with some brown sugar or maple syrup and raisins to make a breakfast similar to Cream of Wheat cereal.

twoplustwo 07-03-2022 11:32 AM

Not a BIG fan but its definitely growing on us over time.

Initially (for years and years after trying and not liking recipe after recipe) we only used it to sprinkle on top of salads OR with egg and milk and bake it into a crust for a quiche. Those 2 uses are still ok by all 4 of us!

Recently I have started making "iron" bowls for my dd bc she gets tired when she menstruates - tho we eat it all the time now. I precook quinoa so its a quick and easy snack when we want one.
. Just saute garlic in a pan add a HUGE pile of spinach (since it cooks down) and then at the end dump in the quinoa to re-heat it. 3 out of 4 of us like those (ds does not). Or Ill eat it cold with chopped up veggies - like cucumber or tomato.

heartofjoy 07-03-2022 01:34 PM

I love it and everyone in my house eats it like rice as a side dish.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

The Tickle Momster 07-03-2022 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoplustwo (Post 6272374)
Not a BIG fan but its definitely growing on us over time.

Initially (for years and years after trying and not liking recipe after recipe) we only used it to sprinkle on top of salads OR with egg and milk and bake it into a crust for a quiche. Those 2 uses are still ok by all 4 of us!

Recently I have started making "iron" bowls for my dd bc she gets tired when she menstruates - tho we eat it all the time now. I precook quinoa so its a quick and easy snack when we want one.
. Just saute garlic in a pan add a HUGE pile of spinach (since it cooks down) and then at the end dump in the quinoa to re-heat it. 3 out of 4 of us like those (ds does not). Or Ill eat it cold with chopped up veggies - like cucumber or tomato.

Can you share the quiche crust proportions?

I would love to learn to use quinoa better.

Those iron bowls sound like something I need to start adding in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twoplustwo 07-04-2022 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster (Post 6272380)
Can you share the quiche crust proportions?

I would love to learn to use quinoa better.

Those iron bowls sound like something I need to start adding in.

the recipe is officially 2 cups quinoa, 1/8 tsp pepper, and 1 egg. . . but I find that a little thin. I think I use 3 cups quinoa and 2 eggs and a dash of salt and pepper. IDK why I said milk - there is no milk in it. Maybe that extra egg had me thinking of milk or someting. :shrug3

Another thing I do - is use it instead of pasta. So far just meat red sauce (as in spagetti sauce) . . . but I should maybe try it for other pasta dishes. :think

The Tickle Momster 07-04-2022 08:11 AM

Thank you! I am going to start incorporating more quinoa here. This is really helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heartofjoy 07-04-2022 10:54 AM

I really like it in a Buddha bowl with roasted garbanzo beans and sweet potatoes and a peanut sauce. I usually put sauteed cabbage and kale salad in it too

kdm1984 07-04-2022 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartofjoy (Post 6272396)
I really like it in a Buddha bowl with roasted garbanzo beans and sweet potatoes and a peanut sauce. I usually put sauteed cabbage and kale salad in it too

The ALDI frozen meal I get with it includes sweet potatoes. It's great! I'm sure it would go great with cabbage and kale as well. I love adding those to a variety of things.

2sunshines 07-06-2022 06:50 AM

I've tried to add it to our dinner rotation a few times and no one has been a big fan. What's the nutritional benefit as compared to a rice? Maybe I should consider it again. :think

twoplustwo 07-06-2022 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 6272451)
I've tried to add it to our dinner rotation a few times and no one has been a big fan. What's the nutritional benefit as compared to a rice? Maybe I should consider it again. :think

This week I did it with shrimp and pesto instead of pasta. eh.
I used it with pesto and lots of squash and zucchini. that was better.

I don't know off hand all the entire nutritional benefit esp vs. rice . . we did it more to replace some wheat. . . not that we are gluten free just for some higher nutritional value plus more grain variety. It did not change our rice consumption.

Anyway, I started using quinoa initially for the higher protein vaule for my dd who is a vegetarian. I am started incorporating it more recently bc it was listed somewhere as high in iron too!

heartofjoy 07-06-2022 08:35 AM

It has double the amount of protein than white rice and lots more fiber. We prefer quinoa to brown rice. We don't really eat much brown rice.