Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Hobbies and Crafts *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=432)
-   -   Photograph y help??? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=476441)

mommie 03-14-2013 08:45 AM

Photograph y help???

I used to take a lot of pictures and sometimes still do. However it seems my pics of my kids tak on a yellowish tone...my kids are tan so I'm sure that accounts and th bad lighting in my house... my outdoor pics come out a lot better.
I have a nikon dslr 300.

mountainash 03-14-2013 08:50 AM

Re: Photograph y help???

Do you know how to adjust the white balance?

mommie 03-14-2013 09:16 AM

On the camera? ? No

bentlaj11 03-14-2013 09:44 AM

:tol but asleep

if you are shooting in manual, you can take a pic of something white (i use a coffee filter) then turn your white balance setting to manual (mine has 2 triangles, but i have a canon). then go to your menu and there should be an option for picking the picture (the white one) to use as the white balance. it will adjust the wb and won't look yellow. it sounds complicated but it's not once you figure it out.

you can also change it in an editing prgram, but it may not look as good.

clear as mud??

mommie 03-14-2013 10:14 AM

.....I will tinker with it in a few minutes. ...I definite ly need more work with this camera

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

I took a picture of a white paper.... it was white.... I think its more to do with my lighting and shadow play... when I get some time I will post some pics where I belive my kids look a lil too yellow

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

No idea what I did just now...
Set my photo quality to vivid... turned white balane to fluresent light and turned on d lighting....
I ehould have taken digital photography.

bentlaj11 03-14-2013 10:43 AM

The paper will look white... that's ok. just use that to set your manual WB. Also, the fl. lighting or tungsten wb should make it look less yellow.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/whitebalance.htm maybe this will help? or maybe not.. he just says to use the auto WB..hehe!

ETA: maybe this? http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/11622756 sorry I don't have time to read it now..

LovinBeingMommy 03-14-2013 10:48 AM

I don't usually do custom white balance because I forget to change it between locations. :bag However, if you shoot raw, instead of jpg, it's really easy to correct the white balance when you get to the computer. ;)

Using the "vivid" setting will actually bring out MORE yellow in your photos. I keep mine on portrait, but also always shoot raw.

Do you have photoshop? You can use the photoshop raw editor to correct white balance, along with tons of other things. My guess is that you can also use a Nikon software (I assume a disc came with your camera, just like my Canon came with their software) to edit the files. Since the camera's software usually comes with it, that's the cheapest way to go. ;)

bentlaj11 03-14-2013 12:55 PM

I forget to change it, too! But, I don't shoot inside often, so I don't mess with it much! Thanks for your reply! I'm glad somebody could explain it better (and knows more about it!)!