Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   July Dinners (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=529616)

charla 07-06-2021 10:26 AM

July Dinners

Hello all, July is upon us.

Tonight we are having stuffed green peppers, rice and corn.

heartofjoy 07-06-2021 11:28 AM

Re: July Dinners

Wow! July!

I have no idea what's for dinner tonight. I've made 3 extended family meals since last Thursday. I've had houseguests for 5 days and I've been deep cleaning my house all day today. Whatever I make for dinner needs to be easy!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

rdsmommy 07-06-2021 12:26 PM

I usually make our main meal at lunch. Today we had Mole (a traditional Mexican dish) with Spanish cauliflower rice. In case anyone is interested in recipes I just buy premade “mole” sauce and pour it over boiled chicken legs cooked with onion and cilantro. This is the one I use. The closest way to describe this is like a curry or gravy made from chili peppers , nuts, and cocoa powder. It isn’t spicy and not everyone likes it but if you want to try something different you might like it and it’s super easy if you use store bought sauce.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rogelio-B...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

knitlove 07-06-2021 05:42 PM

Well my dinner plans went out the window when I realized that dh wasn't going to be home during archery and therefore I could not be baking focatia then.

So we are eating chicken salid, that was bought from trader Joe's.

I have got to get back on top of always having a couple of fast easy meals in the house to pull out when things get mistimed like today. Especially as I t is looking like wendsday during the school year are going to be me gone all day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RealLifeMama 07-06-2021 06:19 PM

I have not been doing much cooking so far this month.
But I did make quiche tonight. It was delicious! I just served it with some sliced tomatoes and berries.

heartofjoy 07-06-2021 08:16 PM

For a fast, easy summer meal, my people have been loving sandwiches on croissants! Dresses the lowly sandwich right up into a nice meal!

Pairs well with chicken salad or sliced meats from the grocery deli and a bagged salad and kettle chips!

AlishaRose 07-07-2021 12:58 AM

Having just watched all the hobbit movies with dh and the kids, I’m making something from the Hobbit cookbook!

Mushroom soup along with with braided bread stuffed with mushrooms, onions and cheddar cheese (I have many mushrooms that need using!)

And for pudding, baked apples with cinnamon and white wine.

ViolaMum 07-07-2021 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6253809)
Well my dinner plans went out the window when I realized that dh wasn't going to be home during archery and therefore I could not be baking focatia then.

So we are eating chicken salid, that was bought from trader Joe's.

I have got to get back on top of always having a couple of fast easy meals in the house to pull out when things get mistimed like today. Especially as I t is looking like wendsday during the school year are going to be me gone all day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My quickest meal when I have nothing planned is Tacos. Ground beef can be cooked from frozen in a skillet, we usually have either tortillas in the freezer or a bag of chips, and the kids just add whatever veggies I put on the table (peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, shredded carrots) or I steam broccoli. (I ALWAYS seem to have broccoli in the crisper! Don't know how that happens.) Totally not authentic, but filling.

The other two things I fall back on when I have nothing else are two chilis - a chicken version and a beef version - where all the ingredients can go straight from pantry or freezer to IP. Both are DF, GF and I'm happy to share if you need recipes.

I've been putting together a pantry cooking cookbook and a Family cookbook, mainly for when the kids move out, but in so doing stumbled across From Freezer to Instant Pot which I found really helpful, especially for timings and little details. (Recipes, I still have to tweak for us.) But take the title literally - all the proteins go into the IP frozen, as do many of the components, such as onions. SUPER helpful on busy nights.

These two freezer cooking cookbooks were also helpful for ideas to pack the freezer: Seriously Good Freezer Meals, and From Freezer to Table. Those two authors have a newer cookbook out that looks good, but I haven't read: From Freezer to Cooker. (And I get all of these from my library, btw. At least until I have made enough of the recipes that I know I would use the book.)

All I have planned for tonight is Kale Chips and Green Bean Fries. Gotta get on the protein. :bag

charla 07-07-2021 08:40 AM

Grilled steak salad

rdsmommy 07-07-2021 08:49 AM

Today we’re having creamy meatball and cauliflower soup. It used to be meatball and potato soup but since we’re low carb I tried it with cauliflower and it’s still just as good.

Fry half an onion and a clove of garlic in oil, add 4cups of water or broth, 18 frozen meatballs and a bag of frozen cauliflower cook for about 20 minutes until cauliflower is soft. Add about 3oz of Mexican cream, a teaspoon of cumin, a handful of fresh cilantro, a third of a can of chipotle pepper sauce, and salt to taste. Cook for another five minutes or so on low and it’s done.

Sometimes if I have the time I will make the meatballs and use fresh cauliflower but in a rush I use frozen and it doesn’t drastically change the taste. It’s my MIL’s recipe and she always made the meatballs and stuffed them with cheese but I don’t enjoy cooking as much as she does. This recipe is for 2 or 3 people.

This can be a little spicy not for anyone who’s used to spice but if you’re not maybe add the chipotle one spoonful at a time and see how spicy you like it.

heartofjoy 07-07-2021 09:11 AM

Venison roast with all the traditional veggies

Plus a bagged Caesar salad

Laurlor 07-08-2021 03:17 PM

Last night was Hoisin Chicken Udon Noodles and bok choy.

Tonight is Southern Hot Honey Butter Shrimp over cheesy grits and collard greens.

RealLifeMama 07-08-2021 03:24 PM

DH and I only had three kids with us last night, so he suggested we go out, which was nice, because our 30 minute family walk after DH got off of work wound up taking us over an hour and it was pretty late to cook. We went to Cava, which I call the Chipotle of Mediterranean-ish food. We got a family meal, and since there were only 5 of us, we had a ton of chicken left.

Tonight it is just 5 of us again, but a different 5, LOL. So, I am just making some alfredo pasta and serving the rest of the chicken and some of the leftover greens.

ViolaMum 07-08-2021 04:34 PM

We had tostadas for dinner.

MamaMansa 07-10-2021 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6253828)
These two freezer cooking cookbooks were also helpful for ideas to pack the freezer: Seriously Good Freezer Meals, and From Freezer to Table. Those two authors have a newer cookbook out that looks good, but I haven't read: From Freezer to Cooker. (And I get all of these from my library, btw. At least until I have made enough of the recipes that I know I would use the book.)

Thank you for these! I did a big freezer meal fill back in May and it was SO awesome to have stuff I could just pull out and dump in the crockpot. I’m aiming to do this again early next month. It did wonders for my grocery budget!

I’m trying to get back to doing THM again, and those recipes are so big that I can get two meals out of them, so I may start there.

We did Slow Cooker Chicken Florentine tonight and I’m doing a THM enchilada recipe tomorrow.