Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:59 PM   #1
attachmom
Rosebud

attachmom will become famous soon enough
Default Classical Conversations Concerns

Does anyone have information on the administration of CC? Our oldest joined Challenge B this year and he really enjoys it, but recently red flags have been going up for me. The first is that the "official CC" facebook page seems to discourage many questions, bordering on censorship. My main concern is that I can't find anything about the upper level finances of CC (specifically, how much does the Bortins' family bring in each year?). One article mentioned that Leigh Bortins paid 1 million dollars in taxes in 2010. I realize all her income is not from CC, but I would guess that most of it is. If it's the case that she makes millions each year, while most of the tutors probably average less than minimum wage, then CC is NOT a business I want to support. Can anyone tell me where I can find more information? Thanks!
Chaos Coordinator (02-17-2015), kiloyd (02-24-2015), Soliloquy (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 04:02 PM   #2
melliethepooh
Rose Garden

Dinosaurs are people too

melliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Classical Conversations Concerns

I don't know how Challenge works. In Foundations and Essentials, the tuition goes to the director and tutors; the registration fee goes to corporate. Then there are all the books. I'm mildly annoyed that they're making so much $$ off it, but generally pleased with the program so we're using it.
melliethepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to melliethepooh For This Useful Post:
attachmom (02-17-2015), kiloyd (02-24-2015), Soliloquy (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
attachmom
Rosebud

Here was the response given by my son's tutor: "From the tuition money I collect for CC a little under 2/3 stays with me, about 1/3 goes to CC corporate to cover practicums, training, website maintenance, magazines costs, etc., Of the 2/3 that stays with me, a small fraction of that goes to supplies, building rental and insurance costs."

His tutor clearly puts in so much time that I'm certain her hourly wage is very, very low. I think it's wrong for the local leaders to be doing their work as a ministry, while the upper leaders have visions of dollar signs. IMO, this is the problem with a business running a "Christian ministry"; there's just too much opportunity for the CEO to profit from the good intentions of others. I'm fine with capitalism, but there should be full disclosure.

Last edited by attachmom; 02-17-2015 at 04:20 PM.
attachmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attachmom For This Useful Post:
graciousmomma (02-17-2015), Soliloquy (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by attachmom View Post
Here was the response given by my son's tutor: "From the tuition money I collect for CC a little under 2/3 stays with me, about 1/3 goes to CC corporate to cover practicums, training, website maintenance, magazines costs, etc., Of the 2/3 that stays with me, a small fraction of that goes to supplies, building rental and insurance costs."

His tutor clearly puts in so much time that I'm certain her hourly wage is very, very low. I think it's wrong for the local leaders to be doing their work as a ministry, while the upper leaders have visions of dollar signs. IMO, this is the problem with a business running a "Christian ministry"; there's just too much opportunity for the CEO to profit from the good intentions of others. I'm fine with capitalism, but there should be full disclosure.
Honestly, it sounds like you're taking on the outrage for something that's not your area of responsibility. This isn't good boundaries. Is the tutor frustrated by his/her pay? You make a lot of accusations in the second paragraph that may or may not be substantiated, and I would caution you to not jump to conclusions and invent outrage where none is warranted (or where the level of frustration is not equivalent to the 'offense' of being a for-profit corporation).

I say this as someone who works at a classical Christian coop. I am paid what I feel is a very fair wage. I am paid by class I teach and not per hour. Some teachers choose to put a LOT of time into preparing their classes which makes their 'hourly wage' lower than if they put in less time (this is true of teachers everywhere, not just at a coop). That is *their* choice to make in terms of how they budget their time. IMO unless this tutor is asking for you to help protest against his wage I would stay out of it.

Decide whether CC is a good fit for you and your family or not. But don't adopt outrage over teacher wages when you're not involved in that area .
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
melliethepooh (02-17-2015), MercyInDisguise (02-19-2015), milkmommy (02-28-2015), mommylove (02-19-2015), MrsHutch (02-18-2015), november (06-20-2016)
Old 02-17-2015, 04:52 PM   #5
melliethepooh
Rose Garden

Dinosaurs are people too

melliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a CC tutor and I'm very happy with what I make. The hourly rate is irrelevant to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to melliethepooh For This Useful Post:
Katigre (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 04:55 PM   #6
Katigre
Rose Garden

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

I found this by googling - is this accurate in terms of tuition and fees?

(https://www.classicalconversations.c...ng%20final.pdf)

If so I find CC very reasonably priced. My daughter's ballet class costs about the same per class and it's just one hour per week vs. the multiple hours of CC.

Classical Conversations® FOUNDATIONS Program
Tuition ($13.50/week per student for 24 weeks)............................. $ 325/year
Registration fee per student per year.............................................. .... $75*
Supply fee per student per year.............................................. ............. $50
Facility fee**............................................. ..........please see your Director
*Registration fee applies to the first student in each family. Additional students enrolling from the same
Old 02-17-2015, 05:00 PM   #7
Hopetobe
Rose Garden

Hopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond repute

I liked the thought of CC at first, but after reading a bunch of reviews, I decided it wasn't probably for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrea INTP, DYT 4/1
Wife to B ~9yrs
Mom to
E 3yo & L 1yo
10/13/09
Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hopetobe For This Useful Post:
attachmom (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 05:09 PM   #8
attachmom
Rosebud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post

If so I find CC very reasonably priced. My daughter's ballet class costs about the same per class and it's just one hour per week vs. the multiple hours of CC.

Tuition ($13.50/week per student for 24 weeks)............................. $ 325/year
Registration fee per student per year.............................................. .... $75*
Supply fee per student per year.............................................. ............. $50
Facility fee**............................................. ..........please see your Director
*Registration fee applies to the first student in each family. Additional students enrolling from the same
This is for the younger children and is for the morning "session." My son is in Challenge B; his tuition and fees comes to $1290/year.

---------- Post added at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopetobe View Post

I liked the thought of CC at first, but after reading a bunch of reviews, I decided it wasn't probably for us.

Did any of the reviews you read address the concerns that I have? Thanks!

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

Quote:
Honestly, it sounds like you're taking on the outrage for something that's not your area of responsibility. This isn't good boundaries. Is the tutor frustrated by his/her pay? You make a lot of accusations in the second paragraph that may or may not be substantiated, and I would caution you to not jump to conclusions and invent outrage where none is warranted (or where the level of frustration is not equivalent to the 'offense' of being a for-profit corporation).

I say this as someone who works at a classical Christian coop. I am paid what I feel is a very fair wage. I am paid by class I teach and not per hour. Some teachers choose to put a LOT of time into preparing their classes which makes their 'hourly wage' lower than if they put in less time (this is true of teachers everywhere, not just at a coop). That is *their* choice to make in terms of how they budget their time. IMO unless this tutor is asking for you to help protest against his wage I would stay out of it.

Decide whether CC is a good fit for you and your family or not. But don't adopt outrage over teacher wages when you're not involved in that area .
I'm really not looking for critique of my concerns; I'm looking for information and the problem is that I can't find it.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #9
Katigre
Rose Garden

Quote:
This is for the younger children and is for the morning "session." My son is in Challenge B; his tuition and fees comes to $1290/year.
Ok, just to give a comparison, our classical coop is one day a week plus grading (36 weeks) and our tuition is $1,500/year for the age of your DS (plus additional registration and lab fees). We don't belong to a larger corporation though.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

Quote:
I'm really not looking for critique of my concerns; I'm looking for information and the problem is that I can't find it.
Here is their corporate contact information: https://classical.secure.force.com/S...A1d0000000HJ4K

I'd start with calling or writing to them and see if they can address your concerns. It sounds like you disagree with the corporate structure of the organization though which is a difference in philosophy that may not be solvable?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
attachmom (02-17-2015), milkmommy (02-28-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #10
attachmom
Rosebud

[/COLOR]
Here is their corporate contact information: https://classical.secure.force.com/S...A1d0000000HJ4K

I'd start with calling or writing to them and see if they can address your concerns. It sounds like you disagree with the corporate structure of the organization though which is a difference in philosophy that may not be solvable?[/QUOTE]

That's my next step (calling corporate). I was just hoping there was some information readily available that I was missing. I've talked to my son's tutor about it, and she has no idea how much the Bortins' family makes, but did ask me to let her know if I find out.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:58 PM   #11
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

On the bottom of this link is a list of 27 reasons not to do cc.
http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/to...ns-is-neither/

I'm subbing for the financials.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
attachmom (02-17-2015), Hopetobe (02-18-2015), Pragmatist (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #12
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

If they're calling their program a "Christian ministry" I would be curious, too.

I may find my shopping experience at Target to be satisfactory but I may write corporate or even boycott if I find out they buy from sweatshops or treat their employees in ways I find unacceptable.

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

It appears they offer profit sharing to managers. http://classicalconversations.com/pi...ne/000359.html
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
attachmom (02-17-2015), bananacake (02-18-2015), ECingMama (02-17-2015), Hopetobe (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 07:33 PM   #13
melliethepooh
Rose Garden

Dinosaurs are people too

Quote:

Tuition is $335 next year.

I liked the 27 reasons not to CC I hear them all. It's still working very well for us.
The Following User Says Thank You to melliethepooh For This Useful Post:
yellowheart (09-06-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 09:20 PM   #14
Hopetobe
Rose Garden

Hopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Classical Conversations Concerns

Quote:
[/COLOR]

Did any of the reviews you read address the concerns that I have? Thanks![COLOR="Silver"]
No reviews on higher level financials. It was more things like:

- Tutor quality was variable so you would be paying the same amount for "good tutors" as not-so-great tutors, and you were stuck with the tutor your child received, regardless of the tutor being the right fit for the class/student or not, education levels, and if they came prepared enough or not. So quite a few reviews experienced and mentioned the downsides of that.

- One tutor described her experience. She said the small amount of training didn't prepare them enough for actually tutoring, but it was more of a time to go over policies. If I recall correctly, she also said that she felt uncomfortable with a response from one of the trainers on the hierarchy/priority - that the parents were considered so low, and that the head of CC was right after God. There was no room for policy discussion, etc.

There seems to be a couple other things I don't remember now.

Andrea INTP, DYT 4/1
Wife to B ~9yrs
Mom to
E 3yo & L 1yo
10/13/09
Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hopetobe For This Useful Post:
attachmom (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #15
teamommy
Rose Garden

Spring!

teamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond repute

It's a business. Can you ask your director? Maybe there are tax forms online under whatever state the corporation files in.

I can understand the concerns, but tutors know what they will be paid and what is required when they sign up, and they agree. And I believe they are not required to have any specialized knowledge of subjects or teaching experience, even at the high school level. If you are concerned about the cost for what you get, you can Latin instruction, for example, from a teacher who knows the language, for much less than CC, and still be able to hire a math tutor or sign up for a math class given by a teacher with a math degree. I am sure the Cc tutors work very hard, but since they aren't required to be teachers but rather facilitators, I guess I wouldn't expect them to be highly paid.
teamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teamommy For This Useful Post:
attachmom (02-18-2015)