Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 07-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Victorious
Rose Garden

Victorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brainstorm your dream church nursery with me!

I've just been nominated our church's nursery director. In true NF fashion, I have a million ideas in mind for it . What would you like to see change in your church nursery? What would you keep?
Amy (04/26/11)

Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brainstorm your dream church nursery with me!

Dont know what current setup or budget is but th one I appreciated the most both as a parent and nursery worker was one at a church we visitd one time that had NO cloth or stuffed animals or things with lots of parts in there only several big bulky play things like this:http://www.walmart.com/ip/Little-Tik...arden/19409980 as well as a couple of the LT rocking horses so that they could be easily wiped down each time and not tons of toys to pick up after. I also would bring a spray bottle of less toxic cleaner to wipe things down with when I was working in the nursery,also would appreciate some kind of healthier snack than animal cookies or goldfish

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
Victorious (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
Victorious
Rose Garden

Victorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas on other snacks? I think fruit would be ideal health-wise, but may take a bit more prep/storage considerations.

I was also thinking of less random toys (which generally just get dumped out anyways)
Amy (04/26/11)

Old 07-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to see a policy at our church where if a child cries for more than 10 minutes, a parent will be called (or even 5, but 10 would be better than never).

I love that our church has dutch doors on all the nursery rooms with windows in the top half.

Background checks on all volunteers.

Speaking of volunteers, our church is small-ish (about 150 or so), and when we joined they basically said, "Welcome to our church, this is when your nursery training will be." Obviously you wouldn't do that with everybody (super elderly or creepy people, for example), but I like that for your average church member, it really isn't presented as an option but as a way to immediately get plugged into the church and to serve a huge part of the congregation (kids and parents). We never have to beg for more people to volunteer, and we never get weary from being in the nursery so much because we have enough people that we are on a 5-week rotation in each room.

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Snack-wise, maybe you could do natural fruit leather? That is more expensive though and gets caught in teeth really badly. Cheerios are the default church snack, and they really aren't too terribly unhealthy if you don't have an allergic kid.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Victorious
Rose Garden

We actually have that toy you linked mamacat, just a previous "model".

We have paid workers so I won't *have to get volunteers, but I'm considering having one volunteer a week to help out because the workers have mentioned they would like to go to church occasionally.

What would y'all sanitize with? They currently just surface spray Lysol, but that doesn't seem to cut it. I wiped all the toys last week and found long-forgotten puffs in the basket :blech
Amy (04/26/11)

Old 07-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
MaiMama
Rose Garden

MaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond repute

Some things I like about our set up:
background checks are required;
never is an adult left alone with any number of kids;
men are welcome but there must always be a woman in each room;
women do all the diapers/potty duty.

One disadvantage to the background check is that it discourages moms to hang out and help their kids get acclimated, unless they go ahead and volunteer, but they they're more likely to be in charge of more kids.

The main thing I would change is a switch to the use of non-toxic cleaners. I get a headache every time we pull out the chlorox wipes. If anyone has an example letter for requesting this change, I'd love to use it.

I agree with a blanket policy requiring parents to be called after a certain amount of time. My church tries awfully hard to not disturb parents, often taking out the upset ones for one-on-one attention. However, I think they sometimes go too long, and I wish there were a policy for the sake of the kids, or at least a clarification with the parents how long they're willing to let the kid struggle.
Trinity Rain - The Matrix, 2004
Jackson Atreyu - The Neverending Story, 2006
Bella Adalyn - Twilight, 2009
and introducing:
Lincoln Ambassador - Fringe, 12/16/2012
remembering Aviva Ata '08
MaiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh I would love less toxic cleaners as well. At home I use a combo of vinegar, water, and tea tree oil. Would something like that work?

Paid workers...? How does that work? They don't ever get to go to church? I'm confused. I've never heard of that.

Also I would like some kind of paging system. Preferably the buzzers like you get at restaurants.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
Victorious
Rose Garden

I think I saw someone mention peroxide as a disinfectant before? Anyone know?

The workers are employees of the church, paid by the hour. They do all of the sanitizing (in theory ) diaper changes etc...It means the babies see the same people every week, and prevents the constant begging for volunteers. It's quite common around here . I was a paid worker at a different church a couple of years ago.
Amy (04/26/11)

Old 07-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

We have a paid nursery worker at our church. That was going to be my suggestion, actually. We have had the same woman in the nursery for over 10 years and it seemse to me that the consistency for the children from week to week must surely add to the children's comfort level.

Mrs Hutch, I think it is someone who would not ordinarily attend church and for whom the income is a blessing. She's not teaching the children, she's just watching them and creating a loving environment for them during the first half of the worship service. Then the parents fetch the children and they are with us during the second half of the service - for the Eucharist part of the service.

Last edited by katiekind; 07-30-2012 at 05:29 PM.
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
MrsHutch (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

I am hesitant to put my LO into a church nursery for a few reasons. Things that would set my mind at ease:

Diapering logs
A discipline policy (ideally don't boss my kid and do come get me if there's an issue)
Background checks and a policy not allowing other adults access
No pressure to use the nursery. Also offer a cry room or *crazy talk* allow children in service. Offer the nursery without making it expected.
Decor showing God's love.
Enough staff. I don't want some poor adult trying to care for a bajillion kids.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #11
Eowyn
Deactivated
I support GCM!

I am no man!

Eowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond reputeEowyn has a reputation beyond repute

As awesome as they are, I'd be wary of EOs in natural cleaners. I'm allergic to TTO, and I know several other people who are, as well. I'd be happy with the mildest possible commercial cleaner.
Eowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Decor showing God's love.
Yeah...one thing that won my heart towards me former church was that every little child-sized chair in the nursery had Beloved written across the back and on the chair rail around the room there was script that said "if you love me, feed my sheep; feed my lambs". Then there was also a mural that had a good shepherd theme and the first name of every child that had ever been in the nursery was added to the mural, season by season.
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
redandhoney
Rose Blossom

"Lord, let me live until I die" - Will Rogers ::redheaded wife of 1, mama of (almost) 3::

redandhoney has a brilliant futureredandhoney has a brilliant futureredandhoney has a brilliant futureredandhoney has a brilliant futureredandhoney has a brilliant futureredandhoney has a brilliant futureredandhoney has a brilliant futureredandhoney has a brilliant futureredandhoney has a brilliant futureredandhoney has a brilliant futureredandhoney has a brilliant future

A spray bottle with half vinegar and half water will kill any germs in a nursery. It is non-toxic, cheap, and easy.

I would appreciate a strict policy of asking the parents how long they want the kid to cry or fuss before the parents are called. It should be written down along with the kid's other info - like are diaper changes ok (or should a parent be called), is snack ok, allergies, etc. Personally I'd prefer to come to my kid if they are unhappy/fussy at all, before they even get to the crying stage. I know most parents aren't like that, so I would want a nursery to check with each parent, then if a kid starts crying, they check the book (or form or whatever) and voila - decide what to do based on that.

As for snacks - I'd appreciate it snacks could be free of common allergens, and not junky. My 4-yr-old boy can't have gluten, and he can't touch it either... so a nursery (when he was smaller) with crumbs and cracker bits all over the place is dangerous for him.

I would suggest rice cakes (ingredients: rice) or rice crackers (ingredients: rice, oil, salt), and perhaps fruit. Banana pieces? Honestly, a couple of bananas each week cut into small little chunks would not break the bank (and if it does then perhaps the church should increase the nursery budget by a couple bucks a week...), and one banana could be split among several toddlers or babies.

I would also appreciate fewer toys, and not the ones from the 70's that probably have lead paint on them. It would be nice to see the church make the nursery a priority, financially, but maybe I'm just talking crazy here

AFA gear: I'd love to see the basics of baby gear - my babies love the exersaucer and jolly jumper. A couple of good rocking chairs would be great. A quiet(er) corner with a lamp and story books would be helpful to draw in the nervous ones.

My parents' church nursery has a separate room off the nursery with a few playpens and a monitor so that the little ones with morning naps don't have to miss them. It's also a quiet place to nurse if the mama prefers that.

I've been involved in churches my whole life (was even a Children's Ministry director)... and I've never yet seen a perfect nursery... a girl can dream, though, right?
mama to my sweet baby girl (July.10)
mama to my blissful second boy (June.12)

:::
www.redandhoney.com
redandhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #14
Victorious
Rose Garden

Megmarch-what exactly do you mean by a diaper log? A note in the diaper bag or something else? As for not allowing others in, I do understand why that is helpful, but I'm the type that likes to go in to get my babies used to the nursery so I personally wouldn't want to be told I couldn't go in kwim?

Anyone have a set routine/lesson? Right now the kids play with the toys and approach the workers (who are sitting in chairs) when they want a goldfish or graham cracker. One worker mentioned that she would like to be given something to *do* with them.

---------- Post added at 02:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 AM ----------

Katiekind-that's beautiful! We are remodeling soon and I've been looking at murals. Any chance you have a picture
Amy (04/26/11)

Old 07-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #15
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Megmarch-what exactly do you mean by a diaper log? A note in the diaper bag or something else? As for not allowing others in, I do understand why that is helpful, but I'm the type that likes to go in to get my babies used to the nursery so I personally wouldn't want to be told I couldn't go in kwim?
Sure, or just on a clipboard and handed to the parent at pickup. Just so I can see that she's had a change. Food and sleep could be listed there too. Not necessarily done for every kid but an option for parents who are more uptight. That's me.

As for going in, I would like to be in too. Perhaps a parents and legal guardians only situation? Or wouldn't it be nice to have two rooms adjoined with a gate so parents could visit for nursing, cuddling, etc? But if it came down to one or the other, I'd rather nobody who hasn't been background checked allowed.

Last edited by MegMarch; 07-30-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: quotation mastery takes practice
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote