Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
R7blessings

Default Voddie Bauchum?

I wasn't sure where to ask this.
Feel free to move this.

I have read a book by Voddie years ago which I liked.

But I am not sure where he stands with children KWIM?

I am looking for sermons to listen to when we can't make it to church.

Anyone here have thoughts or maybe some suggestions about some GRace Based pastors sermons online to download and listen to??

Thanks
Old 12-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voddie Bauchum?

He is high up in Vision Forum, which makes me and would have me avoiding his teachings on a regular basis. That doesn't mean that there is nothing good in what he says, but that there is enouigh that I vehemently disagree with that I would take him with a huge grain of discernment and not make him a 'main teacher' in my life.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
breezy88 (01-16-2012), CelticJourney (12-20-2011), Domina (12-23-2011), MercyInDisguise (12-20-2011), Zooey (12-20-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
1day@time

He is a bit player in the Return of the Daughters film as well. I also think he's , but he DOES make some good points. Our society as a whole has turned away from valuing the role of women and mothers, but he is almost too far the other way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (12-20-2011), gpsings (12-20-2011), Zooey (12-20-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
Persinette
Rose Blossom

Persinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud ofPersinette has much to be proud of

Agree with the above. I would avoid, avoid, avoid! That said, I do like reading his daughter's blog, not because I agree with her on most things, but because I think she's an interesting person and a good writer.
Persinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Anyone here have thoughts or maybe some suggestions about some GRace Based pastors sermons online to download and listen to??
I find the sermons of Tim Keller of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in NYC to be grace-based. You can find his sermons at http://sermons2.redeemer.com/redeeme...ermon-resource

Those are the free sermons--there's a lot there.

They also sell his sermons to help pay costs. I loved the series on Practical Grace (look in the sermon store). Also his sermon, "The Hiddenness of God" was tremendous and very helpful/uplifting to me.
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (12-20-2011), Domina (12-23-2011), gpsings (12-20-2011), greendelight (12-16-2011), MercyInDisguise (12-16-2011), newday (01-09-2012), schmamy (12-19-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
joysworld
Deactivated

~I choose joy~

joysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about his views on children or women, but he was a guest speaking at some teen events we went to when dh was a youth pastor, and I thought he was a great speaker at the events. Other than what I heard from him, I don't know much about him.
joysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
beansmama
Rose Blossom

A sinner saved my a merciful Savior - repenting of spanking, yelling and otherwise unloving mothering.

beansmama is a name known to allbeansmama is a name known to allbeansmama is a name known to allbeansmama is a name known to allbeansmama is a name known to allbeansmama is a name known to allbeansmama is a name known to allbeansmama is a name known to all

In Family Driven Faith, (it's on google books, if you want to look it up) he advocates child training. He does not specifically say to hit them. But he holds up a family "The Bullens," in high regard who had their children trained as babies, "The children were taught first-time obedience from the time they could crawl." He also says "delayed obedience is disobedience."
beansmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beansmama For This Useful Post:
gentlemommy (12-15-2011)
Old 12-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #8
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

I just found a link about him.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
mystweaver (12-19-2011), Zooey (12-20-2011)
Old 12-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Run with endurance the race that is set before you. . . Heb. 12:1

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute

I was just looking at a video by Voddie Baucham last night. I haven't listened to the whole thing. . . I admit I listened to part of it and then started forwarding through it to get to the part about "discipline" to hear what he had to say about that. It's at around 30 minutes or so into it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HLK8nTCODQ

Vegan mom to my vegan kiddos DD1 (24), DS1 (21), DD2 (18), and DS2 (15)
And wife to my gentle DH for 26 years and counting

Instagram: gentleveganrunner
gentlechristianmothers
flowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
angel_uk
Rosebud

angel_uk will become famous soon enough

I saw him on Return of the Daughters and I have his daughter's book - not sure about any unsavoury side to him. I really liked Return of the Daughters.

I have a few books and DVDs from Vision Forum but people seem to have an issue with what the company stands for. I didn't really think about it when I bought from them - the books looked quite sweet and quaint - and I didn't really look around the site much.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #11
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Laurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
He is high up in Vision Forum, which makes me and would have me avoiding his teachings on a regular basis. That doesn't mean that there is nothing good in what he says, but that there is enouigh that I vehemently disagree with that I would take him with a huge grain of discernment and not make him a 'main teacher' in my life.
Totally agree. He was the keynote at our HS conference a few years ago and is again this summer. I didn't care for him, but he really resonated with DH. I can't remember a whole lot, but he's really into the idea of dads calling their boys out to be men. He said he took over his sons schooling at 13 yo and took him to work with him every day. In my DH's job, this could be possible and the idea's really inspired him. He also wrote a book that several of my friends love, I think it's called Family Driven Faith, and it's all about church being totally integrated, and not separated by ages....and I that idea!

All that said, I think he seems pretty legalistic and punitive, but that's just my impression, not because I've read his books. So take what you can and leave the rest.
Laurlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #12
Marrae
Moderator in Tweens & Teens, Teens & Beyond, the Cookbook, Let's Talk, Drawing Closer, and Bible Study
I support GCM!

The presence of the Holy Spirit is the keystone of all our hopes

Marrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was just looking at a video by Voddie Baucham last night. I haven't listened to the whole thing. . . I admit I listened to part of it and then started forwarding through it to get to the part about "discipline" to hear what he had to say about that. It's at around 30 minutes or so into it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HLK8nTCODQ
That is really awful! So wrong.

wife (dh A, *~ 33 ~ * years) mother (dd G 29, ds D 25)

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8 : 28

Marrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:03 AM   #13
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

His connection with the super-patriachal Vision Forum has been enough to keep me from his materials. I just find them to be .
Lady Grey (12-20-2011), littlemama (12-20-2011), Marrae (12-20-2011)
Old 12-20-2011, 05:43 AM   #14
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

ORANGE you glad I made a new avatar? :D

gpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond repute

I would hope that all of us who clicked on that link were disturbed. He's a man. I couldn't even listen to more than a minute or two, and the comments were even worse.

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin
Blessed AP, Homeschooling mama to:
Aneliese age 13, Breena age 10, and Caden age 7

gpsings is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpsings For This Useful Post:
3PeasInAPod (12-23-2011)
Old 12-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #15
LearningMama
Rose Trellis

LearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond repute

I was able to stomach the part on discipline till he said that the shy child (or "shy" as he put it) was sinning.
Welcome Baby "YoYo" !! January 2014
Keeper of one grey cat Liz

...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40
LearningMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LearningMama For This Useful Post:
Synesthesia (12-23-2011)