Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute
Default Homeschooling approach and personality type

It's been noted on a classical ed board I'm on that our members trend heavily to I, N, and J, each at 75-80%, with T/F about equal (those who answer polls about it, anyway ). A full 20% were INTJs and another 20% were INFJs, both of which types are rare, about 1-2% of the population. So I was wondering what other hs approaches correlated with specific personality types.

Anyway, I'm an INTJ, and I'm doing traditional classical education - focus is on math and classical languages.

So how about you?

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homeschooling approach and personality type

eNFj -- and i am doing classical christian (mostly following well trained mind)

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
forty-two (08-05-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute

Another INFJ here

We are very eclectic here...a tad unschooly...and while I've read about classical education, we really do NOT fit into that particular branch of homeschooling.
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
TraceMama
Rose Garden

TraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond repute

ENFP here and while I love much of the classical education theory and philosophy, making it a reality comes much more difficult to me. So, I'm pretty eclectic, like Charlotte Mason's philosophy as well, and am doing my best to blend quite a few different styles into one that works for us.

I am determined to be invincible until He has finished His purpose in me.
TraceMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TraceMama For This Useful Post:
RubySlippers (08-16-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an INTJ doing Charlotte Mason.
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an INTJ and we're very eclectic, bordering on unschooling. That said, I sometimes struggle with that, in many respects I LOVE it and truly believe it's what's best for my children. But if it was "all about me" having everything beautifully planned out for all 12 years with every i dotted and every t cross would be heavenly LOL.

Busy Homeschooling Mom to 3 Sweetpeas:
Lexie & Ashlyn 16 yr old twins
and
Lina, 9
Virtual Accountant and Bookkeeper in my "spare time"
sweetpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
hbmamma (08-21-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Hangin' on for dear life!

ReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond repute

eNFp here. I don't know what we are. I know "fly by the seat of our pants" did not work for me, because I lost my momentum every time we got rolling good. I need a list and a plan that is somewhat flexible but has a definite next step...and so that is what we are pretty much doing...except for Social Studies....and I'm not sure how I'm doing on that.

Single Momma to LegoCraft May 2005
ReedleBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ReedleBeetle For This Useful Post:
RubySlippers (08-16-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #8
tigerlily
Rose Garden

tigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond repute

So I guess I'm the first with an S that's ringing in?

Although I'm an ISTJ -- so, not too far off the norm. I'd define myself as eclectic/structured/living books type girl.

‎"Don't they teach recreational maths anymore?"
~The Doctor
tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

i can see the J thing and the I thing. most moms who feel they cannot homeschool say that is so b/c 1) they need to get out more 2) they can't organize it those would be your e's and p's.

i'm an ENFP and we are waldorfy unschoolers for now. when ds gets older we (and by that i mean my dh) will be doing more unit and theme study
my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
TraceMama (08-05-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
Allison
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Allison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond repute

INTJ here and I create my own curriculum. It's a math and science focus, though. Grammar is important, as well.

Allison
Blessed mother of my three sons:
22, 20, 18

Grateful for GCM since 2004
Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:42 AM   #11
Tasmanian Saint
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Go Team Lioness!

Tasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond repute

DH is INfP and I, for the sake of argument, am probably istP.
We both started out very strongly on the unschooling/natural learning side, I am now leaning CM and as we hope to be able to continue sharing homeschooling together we'll probably end up 'relaxed/CM/unschooling'.

Quote:
i can see the J thing and the I thing. most moms who feel they cannot homeschool say that is so b/c 1) they need to get out more 2) they can't organize it those would be your e's and p's.
See, for me, being a P is part of not wanting to put my kids through the awfully J environment of school (school really didn't work for DH in particular - P is part of that - probably the N, too )
Myth Busting over at Dare to Disciple
"Believe in yourself. Trust your instincts. Unless your instincts are terrible." Vitruvius, The LEGO Movie.
Tasmanian Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:09 AM   #12
doubleblessings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Can I have this dance?

doubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond repute

ISFJ - doing a lot of WTM stuff for History and Language Arts (we haven't started Latin or any foreign language). I am not following their math and science. For that we are doing Right Start and Math Mammoth (and a few others ) and BFSU and REAL Science Odyssey.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:42 AM   #13
arwen_tiw

ENFP and we're Waldorf-y Unschoolers too (and on the radical side of unschooling if you can imagine that in a Waldorf-style environment )...
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
DancingWithElves (08-06-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmanian Saint View Post
DH is INfP and I, for the sake of argument, am probably istP.
We both started out very strongly on the unschooling/natural learning side, I am now leaning CM and as we hope to be able to continue sharing homeschooling together we'll probably end up 'relaxed/CM/unschooling'.

See, for me, being a P is part of not wanting to put my kids through the awfully J environment of school (school really didn't work for DH in particular - P is part of that - probably the N, too )

people who say that usually imagine the sort of thing where you stay home all day and lecture, read, and grade papers ya know, ones who don't really know about different ways of homeschooling

and i totally agree with you, having someone's J'ness imposed on me through out of home schooling sounds just awful to me!
my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
Tasmanian Saint (08-06-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #15
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an INTj/p

I love Charlotte Mason and plan on doing a literature-based approach. I still have another year before I start thinking about doing much formal work (other than what the girls beg me to do with them) so I'll be doing much more research this year. I'm very excited! So far we've been mainly reading Sonlight books out loud and using the Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Lessons book which my girls enjoy very much

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote