Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Canning / Preserving *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 05-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
Thankfulforgrace
Rose Garden

Thankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond repute
Question Which tomatoes are the best?

I really want to can this year. I already have Roma for sauces but want something for diced tomatoes. Opinions please! Otherwise I just have grape and cherry tomatoes and know those aren't good for canning and we eat them as fast as they ripen anyways

Thank you!
Old 05-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
mountainash
Rose Garden

mountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which tomatoes are the best?

I'd do Romas for diced as well. Other tomatoes taste great, but are too juicy for canning/freezing.
The Following User Says Thank You to mountainash For This Useful Post:
Thankfulforgrace (05-23-2010)
Old 05-24-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Can'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond repute

Roma's and this heritage called Amish paste are my faves. Beware though that it takes a TON of tomatoes to make sauces and juices. Most people don't quite get how much it takes.
Can'tTurnLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Can'tTurnLeft For This Useful Post:
Thankfulforgrace (05-24-2010)
Old 05-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
Macky
Deactivated

Macky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond repute

You can use any tom you like for diced tomatoes! I've used all sorts, including yellow and black to add a bit of colour. You're correct in that tomato acidity has decreased over the years (just by general breeding to consumer tastes), but that's why approved home-canning recipes have changed, too. Add the prescribed amount of lemon juice and you'll be fine. I've used mine for up to two years.

I will give you a hint, though. I could taste some tartness at first and thought it was from the lemon juice. After I started removing the seeds from all my tomatoes for canning (originally it was just sauces because I had gotten a mill that year), I noticed the unpleasant taste was totally gone, no matter how long I simmered them. It takes a little extra time, but it's worth it for this tomato snob.

If you've ever canned diced before, you've probably notice that the toms often float to the top. This isn't because you used the wrong variety. As soon as you cut into any tomato, you release enzymes. Those enzymes cause the juice to separate in the finished product. To prevent this, you have to get the tomato simmering within a minute or so of first cutting it. I have my cutting board right next to the pot and add them as I chop. I just measure for the recipe once they're thoroughly heated instead. Now, my diced and stewed tomatoes separate very little, if at all (when I've been super attentive.

This year I'm growing Anna Russian (heirloom paste) for the second time and Applause (hybrid) for the third time. Sunstart is my backup – too sweet for my taste, but still good and very dependable if bad weather affects harvest for the others. Anna and Applause have that old-fashioned, tangy tomato taste I love. I really don't like sweet tomatoes.

Erin, agreed! I had so many tomatoes one year I actually had enough to cook down into sauce. I remember it being some ridiculous number of pounds to make four 125g jars. Swore I'd never do that again, lol! Man, it made SUPERB pizza sauce, though!
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:
Thankfulforgrace (05-24-2010)
Old 05-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
Thankfulforgrace
Rose Garden

Thankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirited Duo View Post
You can use any tom you like for diced tomatoes! I've used all sorts, including yellow and black to add a bit of colour. You're correct in that tomato acidity has decreased over the years (just by general breeding to consumer tastes), but that's why approved home-canning recipes have changed, too. Add the prescribed amount of lemon juice and you'll be fine. I've used mine for up to two years.

I will give you a hint, though. I could taste some tartness at first and thought it was from the lemon juice. After I started removing the seeds from all my tomatoes for canning (originally it was just sauces because I had gotten a mill that year), I noticed the unpleasant taste was totally gone, no matter how long I simmered them. It takes a little extra time, but it's worth it for this tomato snob.

If you've ever canned diced before, you've probably notice that the toms often float to the top. This isn't because you used the wrong variety. As soon as you cut into any tomato, you release enzymes. Those enzymes cause the juice to separate in the finished product. To prevent this, you have to get the tomato simmering within a minute or so of first cutting it. I have my cutting board right next to the pot and add them as I chop. I just measure for the recipe once they're thoroughly heated instead. Now, my diced and stewed tomatoes separate very little, if at all (when I've been super attentive.

This year I'm growing Anna Russian (heirloom paste) for the second time and Applause (hybrid) for the third time. Sunstart is my backup – too sweet for my taste, but still good and very dependable if bad weather affects harvest for the others. Anna and Applause have that old-fashioned, tangy tomato taste I love. I really don't like sweet tomatoes.

Erin, agreed! I had so many tomatoes one year I actually had enough to cook down into sauce. I remember it being some ridiculous number of pounds to make four 125g jars. Swore I'd never do that again, lol! Man, it made SUPERB pizza sauce, though!
Ok, this feels like a silly question, but isn't the tomato mostly seeds? Seems like I'd be taking a lot of the tomato out? But I've read to remove the seeds so I was planning on trying it. I need to remember to put them in the pot after cutting like you said, thanks for the great tips!

This is my first time canning so I'm pretty clueless but I do know it takes a lot. I'm not sure if I will have enough or not but thought I'd try and if it doesn't work, I'll try again next year
Old 05-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Macky
Deactivated

Macky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, most tomatoes are mostly flesh. Here's a good comparison of cross sections (scroll about halfway down to "Different number of locules in tomatoes"):
http://hubpages.com/hub/GrowingTomatoes
Two locules wild type: Examples are Cherry Tomatoes, plum or Pear tomatoes.
Four to six locules: Examples are most of the commercial cultivars for fresh market.
More than six locules: Examples are the large 'beefsteak' types
People tend to like beefsteak tomatoes on sandwiches because of the very fact they have smaller locules and thus less juicy gel to make the bread soggy.

A lot of the tangy tomato flavour is in the gel that surrounds the seeds – which would be removed along with the seeds. If you have a mill of some sort, you could run the gel and seeds through it and add the juices back to the pot, sans seeds. You could probably accomplish the same with a sieve and some elbow grease.

Paste tomatoes are used for sauces because they have a lot of flesh compared to seeds/gel, but they also have higher levels of pectin, which means it takes less time to cook them down into a thick sauce. You can cook any tomato down into a sauce, it just takes longer than with paste tomatoes.

ETA: Oops... I meant to say "tomato PASTE" in that other post. Sauce doesn't take a ridiculous amount of tomatoes for a couple of tiny jars; paste does!!!

Last edited by Macky; 05-25-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Can'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sauce doesn't take a ridiculous amount of tomatoes for a couple of tiny jars; paste does!!!
I have had a very different experience. I've canned tomato sauce most years of my life and sixty pounds will give you about twenty pints of sauce. And we always use paste tomatoes.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
Macky
Deactivated

I'm talking about making actual tomato paste – like you'd buy in 5.5 oz tins from the store – not regular vs paste tomatoes in making sauce. I don't understand how our experiences have been different.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:51 PM   #9
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Quote:
I'm talking about making actual tomato paste – like you'd buy in 5.5 oz tins from the store – not regular vs paste tomatoes in making sauce. I don't understand how our experiences have been different.
I'm talking about making tomato sauce. Like you use on pasta or pizza. I'm Italian, we know our sauce Sixty pounds of paste tomatoes makes about 20 pints of sauce. Every summer of my life
Old 05-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
Six Little Feet
Rose Garden

one who loves coffee

Six Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
I'm talking about making tomato sauce. Like you use on pasta or pizza. I'm Italian, we know our sauce Sixty pounds of paste tomatoes makes about 20 pints of sauce. Every summer of my life
Umm if your Italian don't you call it gravy.

mom of three young feminists

Pumpkin 2001-Midge 2005-Cookie 2007

“I know, up on top you are seeing great sights, but down here at the bottom we, too, should have rights.”

― Dr. Seuss, Yertle the Turtle and Gertrude McFuzz
Six Little Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #11
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Little Feet View Post
Umm if your Italian don't you call it gravy.
LOL That is a raging argument in the Italian community. My Nona called a cooked sauce sugo or gravy and a raw sauce a condiment or sauce.