Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 10-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
joyinthejourney
Climbing Rose

Discipleshipmothering.wordpress.com

joyinthejourney is a splendid one to beholdjoyinthejourney is a splendid one to beholdjoyinthejourney is a splendid one to beholdjoyinthejourney is a splendid one to beholdjoyinthejourney is a splendid one to beholdjoyinthejourney is a splendid one to beholdjoyinthejourney is a splendid one to beholdjoyinthejourney is a splendid one to behold
Default Struggling to stay attached after weaning/depression post weaning?

Has anyone else experienced this? I need some advice on how to maintain a secure attachment/bond with my child post weaning, into the preschool years. Also wondering if anyone here suffered from post-weaning depression, longer than the typical few weeks?

I weaned my son @ 21 mos when I was in my 1st trimester of pgcy with baby #2. He seemed to transition fine. But, I immediately began to feel detached from him in a way that was heart-wrenching...like a true heart break & depression. I know it was probably hormonal, esp since I was also pregnant. But, it has been a year now since his last nursing session...and I still feel like I'm struggling to keep our bond intact. I truly feel like I lost something way back then, and haven't been able to find it again.

I read AOL post somewhere
Quote:
What I find lacking in many AP circles is how to help children mature and grow up when they enter the toddler/preschool ages.
I find this to be true, esp when it comes to maintaining the same bond through the preschool years that was there in the baby & toddler days. Although coming here has helped.

It is made worse by juggling 2 children, nursing her & not nursing him (I'd imagined I'd be tandem nursing, and I still ache to do this), lack of sleep, his growing independence & strong attachment to Daddy, & I'm sure there are still hormonal factors.

I am pretty sure I'm depressed & have an appt w/ a counselor. But, I can trace all of these feeling way back to weaning him in my 1st trimester of pgcy.

Would really appreciate some feedback if you know anything about this, or have experienced similar. Thanks.

ETA: I should add that pre-weaning, and esp pre-2nd baby, ds & I had an INCREDIBLE bond. It it also possible that his view of our bond is still as intense, but I am just feeling insecure as a mother due to hormones or depression.

Last edited by joyinthejourney; 10-11-2009 at 10:29 PM.
joyinthejourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say they are praying for joyinthejourney:
PurpleButterfly (10-17-2009), Sparrow (10-18-2009)
Old 10-12-2009, 04:15 AM   #2
joyinthejourney
Climbing Rose

joyinthejourney is a splendid one to beholdjoyinthejourney is a splendid one to beholdjoyinthejourney is a splendid one to beholdjoyinthejourney is a splendid one to beholdjoyinthejourney is a splendid one to beholdjoyinthejourney is a splendid one to beholdjoyinthejourney is a splendid one to beholdjoyinthejourney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Struggling to stay attached after weaning/depression post weaning?

Old 10-12-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I had something helpful to say... Dd1 weaned at 18.5 mos 2 wks before dd2 arrived. It has definitely changed our relationship in some ways, but I think having an ending and a begining so close together brings a lot of mixed emotions- and it's hard to tell what was weaning, what was having a new sibling ykwim? Its normal okay to grieve and to feel sadness over the change. One thing that has helped me is that "wean" is "ripe" and "fufilled" she wouldn't have weaned (even had I been pushing which I wasn't really- I mean not conciously. Nurisng was so painful and made me so crazy that I was naturally doing weaning thigns because I HAD to) if she wasn't ready and fufilled to take her place as her own person. She was ready to lose that ONE way of attachment, I can still cuddle and snuggle her, I still hold her close- it's not the same but I also now have another little one at my breast who needs me.
It sounds like counselling would be a great thing to work out all the conflicting feeling you're experiencing and make sure that if something is out of balance chemistry wise it can be brought back in line.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
joyinthejourney (10-12-2009)
Old 10-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
Vicki_T
Rose Garden

Vicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond repute

Married to Pete
Mum to Rachel (15)
Elizabeth (12)
and Elijah (9)
Vicki_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
joyinthejourney
Climbing Rose

Ya know, I sounded pretty pitiful in the OP, but it was about 1:30am my time, and I could not sleep. Today has been a good day with my son, and I can understand how sometimes his independence looks to me like detachment. When I am able to play with him, no distractions, even WITH lil sis, he is affectionate to both of us. The times when I feel he's not affectionate are when he's avoiding something he doesn't want to do...and I tend to take it personally. Avoidance of bedtime = no kiss & hug, Avoidance of morning potty trip = no morning snuggles like he used to enjoy, etc.

Don't get me wrong, it has been HARD with 2 babies, the lack of sleep alone leaves me paranoid, sensitive, & insecure. But, on top of that, I've experienced a LOT of changes over the past year, and ESP over the past month, due to a recent stressful event. It is understandable that these emotions would be doubled in intensity right now. Those last baby days seem to be where it started, but I don't think weaning was the cause. It was just the beginning of BIG changes for us...and I'm not so great with change.

Thanks for being my vent when I couldn't sleep last night. I slept much better once I got it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to joyinthejourney For This Useful Post:
Learnin'2B (10-16-2009)
Old 10-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
Apple-Saucy
Deactivated

Apple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond repute

You're not going to have the same bond with him as he grows older. It is natural for him to pull away from you in order to become a strong and independant adult.
Apple-Saucy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Apple-Saucy For This Useful Post:
CapeTownMommy (10-17-2009)
Old 10-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
joyinthejourney
Climbing Rose

Thank you, ValiantJoy07 for your words of encouragement. I do remind myself often that if weaning had been a detaching factor for him, he would not have gone easily. It helps to hear someone else say it. Very confirming. I also know that much of this independence is due to him being SO well attached through those baby days. Everyone said it would lead to healthier independence than unattached children experience. I guess I should be proud that my love gave him this gift of security.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
Iveyrock
Rose Garden

Iveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond reputeIveyrock has a reputation beyond repute

I read your update, and I'm glad yesterday went so well for you .

I have had similar feelings about my DS. I weaned him at 23 months, when I was pregnant. Right after DS2 was born, I revisited a lot of those feelings.

*For us*, There was a distance in the relationship. I couldn't define it to DH, but I knew it was there. Since DS2's birth (so, 2 years later ), I have been able to work on that in me. One of the biggest things has been going on dates, just me and him. I started that because of some of his behavior, but I was really surprised by some of the things that changed.

To... living with, living with, living with - not dying from disease! - Rent

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."
— Terry Pratchett (Terry Pratchett's Men at Arms)
Iveyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iveyrock For This Useful Post:
joyinthejourney (10-12-2009)
Old 10-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #9
joyinthejourney
Climbing Rose

Thank you!! That suggestion really helps me, and makes me know I'm not crazy for feeling this way.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #10
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious too if it's different weaning sons as opposed to daughters. I hope that's not an insensitive question just curious on how that effects weaning as well.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #11
Learnin'2B
Rose Trellis

Learnin'2B is a name known to allLearnin'2B is a name known to allLearnin'2B is a name known to allLearnin'2B is a name known to allLearnin'2B is a name known to allLearnin'2B is a name known to allLearnin'2B is a name known to all

I don't have any useful advice. Just

Wife 2/9/2003-3/14/2012
Goo-Goo 9/17/2004 (corn free, peanut free)
Sweet Stuff 4/3/09 (dairy free, oat free, nut free) Pretty Girl 12/8/10 (egg free, nut free, dairy free, oat free until further notice) Little Man 12/23/14 (gluten and dairy free)

Messianic Bible Project for Jews: www.messianicbible.com
Endtime Bible Prophecy Ministry: www.endtime.com
Gospel For Asia: Reaching the most Unreached www.gfa.org
Learnin'2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #12
newday
Deactivated

newday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond repute

i would find books to read and snuggle together with. if he isn't fond of reading yet then you could always do it with some favorite snacks and a story on your lap or snuggled up beside you. a couple of times a day at least.
newday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to newday For This Useful Post:
joyinthejourney (10-17-2009)
Old 10-17-2009, 05:41 AM   #13
joyinthejourney
Climbing Rose

This week, he was obviously happy to be back on his routine with just me home. (Dh was off all last week, and although he was happy, he began tantruming over the weekend.) I took lots of time to play with him one on one, esp when baby was sleeping...I didn't try to clean during that time, just sat in the floor & played with him. He was very happy & affectionate. Touching my arms, face, & hair while playing...just like he used to. Sitting in my lap, etc. I'm finding that first thing in the AM seems to be the best bonding time for us. I'm going to have to rearrange my day to make sure he always gets this time. I think we both needed it bad. Adjusting to 2 is so difficult. Sweet, but hard for both of us.
The Following User Says Thank You to joyinthejourney For This Useful Post:
CapeTownMommy (10-17-2009)
The Following User Says they are praying for joyinthejourney:
PurpleButterfly (10-17-2009)
Old 10-17-2009, 05:55 AM   #14
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinthejourney View Post
Adjusting to 2 is so difficult. Sweet, but hard for both of us.

Fighting for my life against Carcinoid Lung Cancer
PurpleButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #15
lotsoflovehere

I am so sorry you are having a hard time. I weaned my DD at 6 months due to being depressed and the doctors telling me to (which was absolutely wrong and bad idea!) so I think I can empathize with you a little bit...because I felt that after that until about aged 2 I did not have a good bond with my DD. On the otherhand, with DS #1, I went to a year and stopped and then regretted that decision and tried nursing him the very next day and it didn't work. It was tough....I cried and had to "mourn" for awhile. This time, I think it will be even harder. DS #3 LOVES to nurse. I will go on nursing him definitely past 1 year...I don't know if this helps you any, but wanted you to know I can emphathize. I do think that for me at least, the son-mother thing was very important in nursing. I tried finding something else we could "latch" (HA!) onto for a bonding time...reading ,playing a certain game, whatever. It's a loss- no doubt..but you have a child who is growing as he/she should, you know?
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
joyinthejourney (10-19-2009)