Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
KatieMae

Default What are you preparing for?

I'm really quite impressed with what many of you have posted recently about preparing your families, so I wondered if I could pick your brains about it & a few questions come to mind...

* What exactly are you preparing for? Economic troubles, natural disasters...?
* What do you put in a 72-hour kit (links maybe?)
* How do you decide what foods to buy & do you expect to have any utilities available for preparing the foods?
* What about other issues like local transportation or self-defense?
* If you have any debt, how do your prioritized preparedness in your budget?

Old 02-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are you preparing for?

and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
newday
Deactivated

newday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond repute

newday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Well, I'm preparing because I see signs that things are going somewhere I do not want to be a part of. Whether it be needing to scrimping to pay our gas bill or our air conditioner or, especially, food. Dh and I believe we are too interdependant on the infrastructure of this country and are realizing how easily we can be failed by it. We are extracting ourselves from it

Mostly we're storing food--though we are expecting some money that will allow us to get a trailer to live in on some property friends have if we need to actually get out of the city Otherwise tents will do
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

I'm preparing because it's something I've thought for a long time I needed to do, but I just never got around to it.

Now, I'm preparing specifically for the unexpected. Like, a car kit in case the car dies and it's really cold out, or a power outage like what happened in the midwest a month or so ago- lots of people without power for weeks. Or any other natural disaster. Garden variety or otherwise.

I'm also preparing because the economy is terrible right now, and it's just prudent to store extra while we can in case something unexpected happens.

I'm also preparing for spiritual reasons, but honestly and truly, this is something I strongly believe I should be doing *anyway*. You know?

Prov 31:21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.

One of my spiritual gifts is also hospitality, and I feel strongly about sharing with the needy in the most grass-roots kind of way, from my hand to theirs. So, I'm preparing for that too, if I have enough time. First, enough for our family, and then, enough to share.

I just realized I didn't answer all your questions:
I followed this basically to the letter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8zrk...e=channel_page
* How do you decide what foods to buy & do you expect to have any utilities available for preparing the foods?I am preparing to be completely independent of the power grid and pretty much everything else. For numerous reasons, but basically because I want to be ready for anything. I plan on buying the basic ingredients for all the foods we regularly enjoy- bread is high on the list, and other bread products like flatbreads and cookies, and such. And also for maximum nutrition and storability- so, wheat, barley, quinoa, but not rice because white rice isn't that nutritious and brown rice goes rancid too fast. And legumes to make a complete protein- lentils, black white pinto beans... And I'd like to can some meat too because we do best with some animal protein. And fat- coconut oil and butter can be stored for a long time (butter can be canned), and I'd like to start a garden and save seeds, but anything I've grown has never produced enough for us to be subsistent on. And if we had the space I'd like to have chickens and goats for eggs and milk. And I could probably live without ever butchering them, but I'd like to know how just in case. (Like if we had extra boy goats and chickens we couldnt' get rid of, we could have meat.) And heck, while I'm dreaming, I'd like a root cellar to store stuff in and an extra space in there for us all to live for a minimum of a month if we had to protect ourselves from a nuclear attack.
* What about other issues like local transportation or self-defense? I don't plan on needing transportation when it's all said and done, and as for defense- well, that's a tough issue- guns scare me. But I do think it's important to be able to defend ourselves. But I'm taking care of survival first, and dealing with self defense second.
* If you have any debt, how do your prioritized preparedness in your budget? We are in a small amount of credit card debt, but we've decided to bite the bullet and use our savings to pay it off. I admit, with the 72 hour kits, I said, "we don't have enough budgeted but I'm doing them anyway"- but we did have enough in savings to cover it. And I asked for money for my own spending this Xmas, and decided to use it on EP supplies. And I think I posted a link in the most recent EP thread that shows a simple plan to store stuff that doesn't bust your budget.

Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
Mama Calidad

Personally, economic troubles. I'm "betting" that well packed food will be a good long-term investment.

We don't have those.

* How do you decide what foods to buy & do you expect to have any utilities available for preparing the foods?
We're going with foods that store easily and that we eat regularly -- rice, beans, lentils, corn, etc. We've got chickens for eggs. A neighbor lady has a grove of orange trees and she already gives us her papayas, 'cause she doesn't like them. Yes, we would anticipate having utilities for cooking -- we have enough solar power to run the crock pot and we have trees that we already routinely use to trim branches for cooking.

We have discussed a couple horses. I've wanted a horse since I was a little girl. As for self-defense, my situation probably doesn't apply.

N/A
Old 02-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
Havilah

Old 02-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
JoyGal
Rose Garden

JoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMae
Yes And there are many biblical references to being prepared, especially Proverbs 31, like Herbwife quoted

Quote:
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...topic=216227.0

Quote:
Still working a lot on this and the more I learn the more I find very interesting. We have a bbq that we can use to prepare food if needed. I also want to learn more about solar ovens. The little can stoves are something I'm looking into also (they are very inexpensive.)

Quote:
Very good question. As far as transportation, I don't let the car get below 1/2 a tank of gas and I want to keep enough money in the car to fill it up completely two times (just have to get the courage to store money in the car ) A couple horses would be nice though wouldn't they!

Self defense, that's the part I really don't like to think about.

Quote:
Slowly but surely. I just went to the grocery store today to try to finish up our 72 hour kits and it cost a lot more than what I anticipated (I did have to shop where there are no sales and high prices though. I think that it would be much better to have had a Wal-Mart available.) Even just little bits and pieces. Say you spend $3 on a can stove and $1 at the dollar store for an extra can opener, $2 for 4 cans of tuna, $2 for 4 cans of pop-top green beans, and $2 for a box of granola bars and there is a start to a 72 hour kit. Even purchasing one or a few extra things at a time while at the grocery store is pretty do-able and you don't notice the prices all at once.
This is the miracle of life. ~ Maureen Hawkins

My Hygge Page
JoyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
KatieMae

I understand what you all are saying about not wanting to think about the self-defense thing. But, in a dire situation, if you have food & your neighbor doesn't... So being prepared with supplies like that sort of makes you a bigger target & it's something that comes into my mind... like, if we ARE prepared, we need to keep it a secret
Old 02-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #10
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

Yeah, that's something I"ve been thinking about. It IS important. And it's why I'm not really discussing EP with anyone outside of the internet. (I wonder how many people I know are preparing and not discussing it with me? )- I do talk to my parents about it, but I wouldn't turn them away anyway. These are hard questions I don't have answers to. I mean, even if you do want to help others, you can't help EVERYONE. :/
Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #11
JoyGal
Rose Garden

JoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond repute

I also wanted to add that one of the reasons I want to be strong and knowledgable in preparedness now, is because in the past, we have had to live off of our stores and supply others with the extra of what we had. I cannot even begin to praise our Lord enough for the provision during those times

My Hygge Page
Old 02-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #12
JoyGal
Rose Garden

I also am interested in how others are planning on self defense. I feel horrible about looking at it as hiding food. At the same time, geesh, I just don't know how to tackle that aspect of it. There are a lot of issues that could come up...

My Hygge Page
Old 02-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Can'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond repute

Well we fully expect to open our food stores to anybody that may come to us hungry. And we fully believe that in our faithfulness God will do a miracle and increase our supply. I think scripture is clear that when someone comes to us and asks us for food we feed them.
Can'tTurnLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #14
newday
Deactivated

newday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyGal
I also am interested in how others are planning on self defense. I feel horrible about looking at it as hiding food. At the same time, geesh, I just don't know how to tackle that aspect of it. There are a lot of issues that could come up...
Although I wouldn't recommend this as THE perspective - it makes me think of God's provision for His people and how so many others befitted from that. I mean with Joseph and the 7 years of famine.

I
newday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #15
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Can'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm really quite impressed with what many of you have posted recently about preparing your families, so I wondered if I could pick your brains about it & a few questions come to mind...

Zombies of course.

Why on earth was that the first thing that popped into my head. Gah

Can'tTurnLeft is offline   Reply With Quote