Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Book Shelf Guards?

I tried searching on-line, to no avail, for some sort of book shelf guards that clamp on to the shelves so that a certain child can't pull the books off.

While I'm at it, are there any guards for 3-drawer sets that are plastic? Like this

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Book Shelf Guards?

Somebody must know something!

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
Old 02-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea about the book shelf, but for the plastic drawers, try clear packing tape. Tape one side of the drawer and wrap it around the white plastic part of the cabinet.

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:27 AM   #4
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I have never heard of book shelf guards. I just pick up the books over and over. . . . but only once a day. Thankfully, we have FINALLY passed that stage

I use this for all drawers of any type. I have them all over my office furniture http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Purpose-...840389&sr=1-16

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama
I have never heard of book shelf guards. I just pick up the books over and over. . . . but only once a day. Thankfully, we have FINALLY passed that stage

I use this for all drawers of any type. I have them all over my office furniture http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Purpose-...840389&sr=1-16
Those won't stick to my plastic bins. It's been very frustrating.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey mommy
I have no idea about the book shelf, but for the plastic drawers, try clear packing tape. Tape one side of the drawer and wrap it around the white plastic part of the cabinet.
What happens when I need to open them? This is one big exercise in frustration

Old 02-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
KatieMae

I really think you have to just bear through it Repetitive teaching of "one book at a time, sweety"
Old 02-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

My kids did not redirect. They only melt down. There is a very firm limit to how many melt downs I can deal with in a single hour. So, I cleared off the lower shelves, and packed books away. My plastic bins are on high counters.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #9
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

no idea on the drawers, but it took DH all of 5-10 minutes to build me a bookshelf guard

it's just a board--half a 2x4, maybe? I'd have to ask him--cut to almost exactly the width of the shelf, and sanded to round the two opposite corners. like, if the board is facing you, the upper left and lower right corners are sanded. so it just sort of wedges into place in front of the books, and is rounded so as not to take paint off (though it has just a tiny bit).

it works for our shelves because they have a piece of trim in front, but it wouldn't work on all shelves. if it sounds promising to you, and you have the tools to do it, lmk and I can take pics/ask DH for details.

we have built-ins in our living room and the bottom two shelves on both sides are emptied, but the third one up on one side is DS's books. he has lots of board books he can play with, but when he started to be able to pull off his nice picture books, we needed a way to prevent that! and I really didn't want to move them because they're in a perfect spot next to our reading chair for easy access. the guard has been a great solution.
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake
Quote:
You fold over one end so it's easy for you to open and you pull the tape back when you open it and put it back when you close it.

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #11
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake
Quote:
You fold over one end so it's easy for you to open and you pull the tape back when you open it and put it back when you close it.
He already figured out the tape. Oh well!

Schmamy, I'd love to see pics!

Old 02-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #12
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

sorry it took so long! I finally have some pics for you. it looks kind of silly because I don't wedge it in tight enough. The board will sit straight if you wedge it in completely, but when it's that tight, I can't easily remove it with one hand while I'm sitting in the reading chair. It's still tight enough here that DS can't mess with it. He has discovered, however, that if the reading chair is close enough, he can sit/stand in it and pull books over or under the bar. Still, though, it protects the taller, nicer hardback picture books, which are what I'm most concerned about.

You can kind of see that there's trim on both sides of the bookshelf, which makes it work better, although DH said it would still work otherwise--you'd just run a bigger risk of scratching the shelf. I will say that this bar has taken a little paint off the bookshelf already, but b/c of the trim, it's not really noticeable.

DH said he cut it a little longer than the width of the shelf. He didn't really measure, he just tried it, and it was a little too tight, so he cut it off a little more. He sanded opposite corners, as I said--but I forgot to take pics of that Let me know if you need those and I'll take some more. HTH 

*BTW, ignore the sad state of our shelves. A friend of mine just gave me EIGHTY children's books and I haven't figured out where to put them all--several of them are haphazardly thrown on that shelf...and our upper shelves are a mess because we've had to clear off the lower shelves 
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #13
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

That's a great idea!

Old 02-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #14
Niphredil
Deactivated

Niff-er-doodle!

Niphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond repute

We have plastic drawers similar to those that N was constantly getting into. Our solution, at least thus far, has been to drill holes into the white track part & the top of the drawer and feed a twist tie through. Her fingers aren't nimble enough, yet, to undo the twist ties. So, it's not beautiful or convenient... but it keeps ink off my walls.
Niphredil is offline   Reply With Quote