Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #1
richesabove
Climbing Rose

richesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to all
Default an UNschedule for a recovering cleanie

OK, I am a cleanie. but, I shall recover!! LOL
I am sick of being overwhelmed with trying to keep things perfect and being over-tidy...never having time for anything because I spend my life trying to make the house perfect and our appearances emaculate and everything in perfect order. You see, some folks are messies, I am a cleanie. And, ime , that can be just as disabling.
So, sat down and came up with several written out, conscious decisions about what I will and will not spend my time doing. In essence, everything I normally do to keep up the home will be done less often, not until it NEEDS to be done, and it will be done in a less perfect way. I have been going at this new UNschedule for over a week now and I feel like a new person!! I feel like I am on vacation mentally!! I feel so much more relaxed. And, guess what!?!! Things are still getting done and our life ISN'T falling apart LOL
I am so pleased!!
Does anyone identify with this?
If so, give me a holler and tell me how it goes for you in this area! Folks are always rallying around the concept of helping messies...but we cleanies have needs too!! LOL
richesabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Beauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: an UNschedule for a recovering cleanie

I take an hour or two per day to do house upkeep, so I guess you could say that I am a cleanie. I get ancy if I see clutter. For me, it's been a huge step to stop trying so hard to keep a clean house. Yesterday I had a friend come over. Today I'm going to crochet. It's not really dirty, I just tended to clean because I'm a creature of habit. Monday is washing day, Tuesday thou shalt vacuum, Wednesday thou shalt clean bathrooms, etc. I'm rambling...

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that they might be glorified.
Beauty4Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

I can definitely relate to this. It's hard to let go of expectations of a clean house.

Are you sure you're not living my life in a different state?
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
richesabove
Climbing Rose

richesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to all

well, glad to see that some folks understand. sometimes we cleanies have to rally aroun deach other and cope together, ya know LOL

you know, I HATE clutter and it STRESSES me out. BUT, with my new UNschedule, it is like I am conditioned to be around and it just doesn't seem to bother me . THIS IS A HUGE CHANGE for me. ask anyone IRL who knows me, they will say I am a NEAT FREAK.

honestly, I can't keep living as a neat freak anymore. I have five kids under 11 and I hs and the expectations I put on myself have almost driven me bonkers.

On the flip side, my orgnaization and my hard work ethic also have kept me sane in certain areas as well. I dont' mean to throw the baby out with the bath water..b.ut I DO want to be less of a perfectionist. that is what this is all about for me, ditching the perfectionism...it really really is going to shorten my life span if I don't, I am afraid, because it will drive me to distraction LOL
Old 01-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

I've had my kids take over the picking up of the clutter daily, and I stay on top of food and laundry. (for now ) I can deal much better with dirt than clutter. It's working reasonably well for us.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
richesabove
Climbing Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarynMunchkins
I've had my kids take over the picking up of the clutter daily, and I stay on top of food and laundry. (for now ) I can deal much better with dirt than clutter. It's working reasonably well for us.
you know, my kids are in charge of their clutter too...but my problem is that I have OCD and I tend to "own" their jobs...so , if I expect them to pick up everyday, then I put it on myself that I can't relax until it is picked up....even if it is them that does the picking up. I drive them crazy with "have you done this or that yet" (and yes, I have tried all sorts of chore systems trying to make them accountable to a chart or list or SOMETHING other than myself) and then I automatically start to see where they are not doing it perfect, etc etc etc....SO, in light of all this, I just told myself, heck, we want pick up everyday. period. I can't handle it right now. so, on my new UNschedule, we either fold clothes OR wash the high mantenance clothing OR we tidy. BUT, we can NOT do more than one of those things in a day's time or my stress level goes up up up.

and yes, I can handle dirt. It is clutter that I go nutso about. I am seriously trying to condition myself to dealing with a NORMAL amount of clutter so that we can LIVE in our house. Before I started this, I was constantly getting into these spaces where I could hardly stand to let the kids play and be creative. not a good thing!!