Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default i need courage

about two years ago when i started working with my friend who's a professional organizer, we had what we affectionately called "The Room of Doom"... it's spare room of sorts, and before we built the garage (with an attic above), it was honestly the only place to store stuff... we do not have an attic or basement, and very limited closets. anyway, i *know* we have too much stuff. for sure. and now we have said attic, so that helps a bit (you know, so we can actually put away our christmas decorations. ).

but because this room was never defined, i think it's so easy to become the catch all... and it's been in various states of clean/useful the past 2 years. when i initially worked on it, it was terrible! seriously embarrassing. and then it was sort of a music room, book room, storage closet... now i really want that room for our "creating" room, but over the holidays, and from all the "finishing up" stuff we've been doing (carpentry and stuff), it's almost as bad as it's ever been. really. and diamond in the rough has seen the before pictures, so she can tell you how bad it was.

and i'm reading "the emotional house" and it's clear that i want to *live*, really live, in ALL areas of my house. and i feel stuck with my creativity because i don't want to destroy my dining room for sewing anymore.

but ladies, it's SO BAD!!!! i need so much courage to even start... and it's disheartening to me that i've done this major cleaning thing in this room already, and here i am having to do it again. i feel like i need everyone out of the house for 3 days to put a dent in it, and that's not happening... so i have to figure out how to do it with kids and a baby and other things going on and trying to keep up on other stuff. i want to throw everything away but i know there are things i truly need/use, mixed in with the stuff that needs to go - so i have to sort. i'm bad at sorting. well, not bad, just slow.

just venting.... thanks for listening.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Drew
Deactivated

Drew has a reputation beyond reputeDrew has a reputation beyond reputeDrew has a reputation beyond reputeDrew has a reputation beyond reputeDrew has a reputation beyond reputeDrew has a reputation beyond reputeDrew has a reputation beyond reputeDrew has a reputation beyond reputeDrew has a reputation beyond reputeDrew has a reputation beyond reputeDrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i need courage

It's really hard for me to get started on projects like that as well so I can feel ya.
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
Amber
Rose Garden

Amber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond repute

You can do it
Big M (6/03) Forever ours Dec 2012
C (6/04),
Little M (10/05) Forever ours Dec 2012
K (5/06)

Missing our foster daughter Miss A
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Blue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond repute

Blue Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
gamomof2

You can do it!!

I know that overwhelmed feeling. My best advise is just do it a little at a time - bite sized pieces. Don't think about all of it as one big job. Maybe decide that you want to work on it for X amount of time each day, and then set a timer. Do that much work, and then stop. It might take a little longer, but at least it wouldn't be so overwhelming.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

I've been SO blessed by reading about your home journey so far, and feel totally confident that you're going to tackle this one, too! (And I'm going to be taking notes all the way! )
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

You can do it Jen!!!
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

agreeing with ashley! i've seen those before and after pics of other rooms you've tackled! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!! do you have family or friends to maybe help with the kids? i find that if i have a good hour or two with *undivided* attention (the interruptions are my doom in these projects!) then once the dent is put into the room, the rest easily follows.
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
HummusDip

Is this a room you've posted pics before when you cleaned it up? I know I've seen your kitchen and other spaces...but I seem to remember a room...a bedroom that you cleaned up and it looked great..maybe a white bedspread with green walls? Am I crazy? Was that someone else? If not, is that the room you are talking about?

I say go for it either way. Why not ask your dh to take the kids for a couple hours so you can at least work on it undisturbed for a bit and then just set aside X time in the day to work on it. Even if it's just a half hour while the baby naps and the kids watch a movie. Do you want to make it your sewing room then? A craft room? That would be cool......
Old 01-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #10
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I've also been blessed and inspired by your home organizing. And, I feel your pain since I am in the midst of tackling a similar problem. We have a storage closet that I guess is about 8' x 8', that I am in the process of re-purposing as a scrapbooking room so I can finally get my photos organized. I have shoeboxes full of photos that are still in their sleeves, and each child has a box of memorabilia to be put into some sort of scrapbook. It's been slow going, but when I feel the urge and have an hour or so without kids I just tackle a few boxes. I have a hard time making a plan for such things because there are layers to my problem. First the room has to be majorly decluttered and some items moved to other areas for storage, then I have to assess the needs of the room and pull furniture from other rooms or buy new stuff. If that sounds easy, too often the new storage areas need to be decluttered and rearranged to accomodate the new stuff. All of this could get overwhelming, but what is working for me as I organize my entire house is to do a bit, re-evaluate, then do a bit more. Since I've been on this board my home has come a long way with being slow and steady. It's okay to be slow at sorting.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #11
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

thank you, ladies... i just need to keep telling myself i can do it!

jessica, yes! it's the layers that get to me. it's not straightforward at all, and i do believe that our clutter/messes are telling us something, trying to send a message of what's not working. but the message it's giving me is not clear because there's lots of things that need to happen. *sigh* a big thing i think is how to have a regular system for donations (toys/clothes) and also outgrown clothes to be stored, before making their way to the attic. but that's not even the bulk of the mess, it's just that everything works like a rubics cube and everything has to shift at the same time - does that make sense? so it's overwhelming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummusDip
Is this a room you've posted pics before when you cleaned it up? I know I've seen your kitchen and other spaces...but I seem to remember a room...a bedroom that you cleaned up and it looked great..maybe a white bedspread with green walls? Am I crazy? Was that someone else? If not, is that the room you are talking about?
you're not crazy (at least i don't think so ), the room you're thinking of is our guest bedroom. that will be another issue as soon as we move dd into a room of her own. right now it has the baby's clothes and our extra linens. i need a linen solution, btw. anyway, you haven't seen the Room of Doom... trust me, you would remember.

i think you all are right - i need to take it bit by bit... it sure would help to have dh take the kids for awhile so i can make a dent...i'm going to ask him.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
Old 01-25-2009, 09:50 PM   #12
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

well, i'm digging in, girls... we found an awesome, awesome deal on legs for a work table tonight at ikea, and i am digging my way out. it will probably take a few days, but i think i have the motivation to do it right now!

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

Old 01-25-2009, 10:57 PM   #13
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping your motivation will rub off on me! Yesterday I bought photo albums to hold a total of 1200 photos, plus a couple of frames for displaying 4x6s (22 photos in total). My family deserves to be able to appreciate the photos we have just stored in shoe boxes. I'm not trying to hijack your thread, Jen, but to offer you comraderie. Your not alone in the quest to conquer "the room of doom". Do you want to form a team...we could call ourselves something like "The Doombusters."
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #14
BHope
Rose Garden

Finding the Good

BHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond repute

I'm excited your starting. I feel the same dread about my craft closet. Unfortunately, I refuse to start it until I buy the storage I need, and well... that's not happening any time soon.

DD1 (8 years old)
DD2 (6 years old)
DD3 (4.5 years old)

Eternally missing DFS3 (stored safely in our hearts) and DFS1
Praying for Little R as she transitions into a new family.
May you always know God's love and His comfort.
BHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:06 PM   #15
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

have you decided how to define the room yet?

can you define it in part by storing different "rooms" in storage assigned to different areas of the room? Our bedroom has to be several things but by defining this "area" as the office and "this area" as the clothes storage, etc., it has helped a LOT
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote