Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
Proverbs31
Rose Garden

Proverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond repute
Default pipes ok?!

We had a night in the -20s. Our pipe to the kitchen is by an outer wall. I opened up the kitchen faucet to a drip last night overnight.

Dh said this morning nothing was coming out of the faucet. He turned the water on more fully and the pipes made a funny noise. But water did come out. He then left it on a trickle.

If water came out when he turned it on more fully, does that mean the pipes are ok and did not freeze? I am about possible water damage if they froze.
Longing to adopt #3+

Proverbs31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
KatieMae

Default Re: pipes ok?!

I think that means everything is okay since the water still works. You put it on a trickle so that the water isn't just stagnant in the pipe, which would lead it to freezing, expanding & then breaking open the pipe (just a PSA there, in case our warm weather mamas haven't heard of that before ) The noise though maybe you have a partially frozen pipe? All you can do in any case is to keep a trickle going. If the water stops, then panic

Hope it warms up for you soon!
Old 01-15-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Proverbs31
Rose Garden

Proverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks! ahh, coffee...

so even if it is partially frozen, as long as it's not totally frozen, the pipe should still be intact, so no worries about leakage?
Longing to adopt #3+

Old 01-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
Elora
Deactivated

Elora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond repute

right. and even if it was partially frozen, running water through them probably melted any ice that was there. if it's possible, and if you're not already, in addition to leaving the water drip, you may want to open up the cupboard doors under the sink and/or wrap the pipes that are exposed.

stay warm!
Elora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
Proverbs31
Rose Garden

thank you!
Longing to adopt #3+

Old 01-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
Elora
Deactivated

Elora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond repute

Old 01-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

Our pipes are frozen right now despite being left to drip because my husband is too stubborn to turn the heat up past 65 . We've had the pipes burst at least 3 times. Just because water comes out, doesn't mean there isn't a crack or a leak, but I think you are most likely ok.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

Shoot out kitchen sink isn't getting cold water. The hot water heater just five feet away is getting water so we know about where the blockage is. Any advice on thawing that baby out?

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
KatieMae

Maybe some help here: http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-ad...en-pipes.shtml
Old 01-16-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
Elora
Deactivated

we use a hairdryer
Old 01-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #11
Niphredil
Deactivated

Niff-er-doodle!

Niphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond repute

I woke up this AM and our washer isn't getting any water flow. The cats water bowl right next to it was frozen solid.

So it is possible for pipes to freeze but not burst? Our basement stairs are pretty treacherous and I'm not about to be hauling my huge self down them to check, so I'm nervously waiting for M to get home.

I've had the space heater back there for 3 hours and it still won't start.
Niphredil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #12
Iarwain
Rose Garden

Iarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond repute

I use a hairdryer to thaw them too. Or rather the teenage boys that I send down to tackle those kind of jobs do. Fortunately I think we've been OK so far. Last year they froze several times. I have plastic pipes and have never had one burst or leak even when they froze solid.

Lindsay, do watch your washer carefully for leaks when you get it thawed out. I had the tub inside the washer crack on me once when water remaining in the washer froze. I am very, very careful about that now, especially with an expensive front-loader. I usually run a dryer load at bedtime to warm the room a little and then set the washer to start a couple hours later to keep the water moving through the cold part of the night.
The Mad Scientist - 18
Princess - 15
Lemur - 12
Noodle - 9
... and little miss Rosebud - age 6
Iarwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #13
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Hangin' on for dear life!

ReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond repute

Some of our pipes are frozen right now too....we are trying to get them thawed out....

Single Momma to LegoCraft May 2005
ReedleBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #14
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

We got ours thawed and they appear to be ok!! Now I have to remember not to turn off the trickling faucet on -25F days, not even for half an hour.

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #15
Niphredil
Deactivated

Niff-er-doodle!

Niphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond repute

Ours thawed too! Turns out it was the actual motor that was frozen, too cold to start. We ran the drier for a bit & it warmed right up... of course it took us 3 calls to various dads to figure that out.
Niphredil is offline   Reply With Quote