Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help Me Decorate my Bedroom

I will probably post pictures a little later, but right now, there is really nothing to show.
We are painting this weekend, and the color I chose ages ago is called "purple surf" from Home Depot. It looks more greyish purple when I look at it online, but it does not look as gray on the paint swatch. I pulled up a swatch online so I could show it, but I don't think it is an accurate representation. It is really just a nice soft purple, but not lavender. Purple is my favorite color.

Right now, the comforter set we have is sort of a mint green, so I am guessing it will look OK, but we got it for free, so we would be OK just putting it in the spare room and getting new bedding.

We have 8 foot ceilings, nothing fancy, and we have two standard size windows that flank the kingsize bed. (our bed is just a plain frame, no headboard or footboard.

I am looking for suggestions on colors for bedding and what kind of window treatments to get. Right now we have blinds and an ugly cornice board that the previous owners had.

I am trying to get it done before the baby is born, and our funds are limited, but I do have a little bit to spend.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
blessedwithboys
Rose Garden

blessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Me Decorate my Bedroom

If you want to bring out the gray in your wall color, I would purchase gray/silver-ish bedding for your bed.
blessedwithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys
If you want to bring out the gray in your wall color, I would purchase gray/silver-ish bedding for your bed.
I don't really want to bring out any gray. Sorry I was unclear, I edited my post.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Old 01-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
mom2threegirls

One way to really make an impact in a master bedroom for not much money is by finding a bed set you REALLY like, and use the fitted sheet to make an upholstered headboard for the bed. All you need is a piece of wood (the cheapest thing you can find since it won't show) and staple some batting around it and then the fabric around that. And it coordinates perfectly with the bed set . You can also use the top sheet to do curtains with- you can do simple panels or make a top treatment out of it.

What colors do you like other than the purple? Lots of colors would look really nice with that wall color. White really crisp looking bedding with some dark maroon accents would be pretty. You could go monochromatic with different shades of the same purple, you could go black and white, you could do brown or a beige. Your green bedding would look nice too!

AFA the window treatment goes... you could do some simple coordinating curtains on a nice thick wooden rod. Or you could keep the blinds and put up a scarf or valance of some sort.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

I think I will either do black/white with deep purple accents, or stick with the green.

I was thinking that since the windows flank the bed and they are so small, I might like it if we do one sheerish panel on each window and then do a large swag that goes on the wall over the bed. How do you think that would look?
Any idea on how to actually accomplish that?

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Old 01-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I think your ideas and colours sound great! I also like the idea of a padded headboard. I'm in the process of changing our bedrooms paint colour and getting curtains. I have a friend who is an interior designer come over and give me a few ideas. She suggested to get window treatments in a colour either a shade darker or lighter than the walls, and to use a darker tone of the wall colour for a bedskirt to ground the bed. Then accent pillows on the bed could be the same colour as the bedskirt. If you adapted that advice, then accessories in a dark purple would work well for you. Since green and purple go well together, you could pull your bedspread in by having pictures on the wall that have the same purples and green. You could have a floral picture, traditional or modern, depending on your taste. I find decorating to be a lot of work, but the dreaming part is a lot of fun. All the best with your decisions!
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote