Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
DragonfliiMama
Rose Garden

DragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default my dryer doesn't dry my clothes

seriously, it takes an hour and a half to two hours to dry just one load. I set it to the maximum time and then have to listen for it to end and go restart it, sometimes twice. Meanwhile the load in the washer is just sitting there and that load's not getting dry either. Any suggestions for how to improve my drying time?

~Amii~
INFJ, Type 2/1

wife to Jimi, mama to Gabriel , 06/09

shimmer = soft, subtle sparkle
DragonfliiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my dryer doesn't dry my clothes

Clean your dryer and its vents.

Start with the filter in the machine, and vacuum down into the space behind the filter as far as you can get. Then move the dryer out, and vacuum, sweep and mop up all the lint behind it. After that, disconnect the vent pipe or tubing and clean in there. Finally, go round to the outlet, outside of the house, and remove the grates or vent covers, and clean that out as thoroughly as you can. When you've got it all put back together, the dryer should run like new!
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #3
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

throw a dry towel in with your wet clothes. That will help dry the wet clothes faster.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
ShiriChayim
Rose Garden

Rock on!!!

ShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond repute

come wash clothes at your sister's place, my drier works fine
: ds15yo- the performer, ds14yo- the gamer, ds 12yo- the adventurer, and dd 10yo-the dynamo
Missing my little Malachi David and Hannah Danielle, in Jesus' arms
Check out my blog

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
*Dr Seuss*

ShiriChayim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
DragonfliiMama
Rose Garden

DragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond reputeDragonfliiMama has a reputation beyond repute

i will try the dry towel trick.

as for cleaning the vents - i always clean the filter and almost always clean out the door spaces. I can't pull the machine away from the wall or reach any of those other spots, b/c we live in an apartment. the dryer is above the washer and the whole combined thing is tucked into a tiny little nook, I'm not sure if it's even possible to move it at all. And I certainly can't get to the outside of the house. I have no idea where it would come out!

I suppose I could call the apartment office though.

~Amii~
INFJ, Type 2/1

Old 01-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

I would absolutely call maintenance. You're paying a lot of extra in electricity and time, when cleaning out the vent could fix it all.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
anjelika
Rose Bouquet

anjelika is a glorious beacon of lightanjelika is a glorious beacon of lightanjelika is a glorious beacon of lightanjelika is a glorious beacon of lightanjelika is a glorious beacon of lightanjelika is a glorious beacon of lightanjelika is a glorious beacon of light

Is it an electric or gas-powered dryer? I ask because we used to have an electric - which took hours for each load (at least 2 cycles). When we moved to our new house, the old owner left a dryer that ran from natural gas - dries clothes no problem. Maybe that's part of it?

I would definitely call management though - wouldn't hurt to do vent cleaning!

And I will have to try the dry towel trick!
anjelika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
expatmom
Rose Garden

expatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond repute

If this is a change in how your dryer used to work, then you definitely need to call your maintenance company. It is a fire hazard to not be able to clean the tubing & the outlet.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
pastelsummer
Rose Garden

I am where I am only by the Grace of GOD

pastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond repute

I would call maintenece and have them come look at it. untill then

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamomma
come wash clothes at your sister's place, my drier works fine
I think someone is lonely!! Not sure if she lives close by but maybe take her up on it if she does!
"Bubba" 3/09
"Princess" 9/11
read about *some content may be sensitive*
my life
My Poetry
I am not the princess in the tower, I have slayed my own dragons. I am the queen of my country leading the way.
If you want me you need to walk beside me not in front of me or behind me.
pastelsummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:33 AM   #10
DragonfliiMama
Rose Garden

Sadly, she doesn't. I would love to go do laundry and hang out with her, if only!

The dry towel did help, some. I know that it would also take less time if I switch the dryer to high heat instead of low, but I am concerned that my clothes will shrink if I do that. Most of the care instructions say to use low heat. And I really ought to be able to use low heat for clothes that need it!

I'll have to call the apt office but I'm not sure when I'll get a chance. I don't really like to have them come in when we aren't here.

~Amii~
INFJ, Type 2/1

Old 01-08-2009, 06:46 AM   #11
diamondintherough

It could be that your heating element is going. Dh fixed ours and said it wasn't too hard and the part was inexpensive. Do you own the machine or does the apartment complex? Before I did anything with the dryer, I would take Rabbit's advice to clean out all the lint from everywhere and call maintenance for the stuff you can't get to.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:47 AM   #12
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

Did it just recently start not working right?

Does it get hot?
(Could the kids have switched it over to air dry instead of the setting you usually use? )

Or maybe the heating element went out. I'd call maintenance and have them take a look.

oops--diamondintherough beat me on the heating element comment!
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:58 AM   #13
DragonfliiMama
Rose Garden

It doesn't get hot, that I've noticed. No kids around the house, so if anyone switched it, it'd be dh, but I don't think he did. And this isn't really a recent thing, I've just been dealing with it until I got fed up with it. But I can't remember now if it's always been like this since we moved in or if it's gotten worse over time. And it belongs to the apt complex.

~Amii~
INFJ, Type 2/1

Old 01-08-2009, 08:26 AM   #14
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Beauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond repute

My dad put ours up on 2x4s so that the dryer hose wouldn't get kinked. If something is blocking the flow of air, the clothes won't get dry.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that they might be glorified.
Beauty4Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #15
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

We just had to replace the heating piece of our dryer. It was coming and going and not getting very hot.

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote