Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
Lavender Lily

Default ashamed as a woman to admit this.......

I don't have a clue on how to accessorize my home.
I don't like things on my coffee or end tables mainly b/c of the kids....unless its something that won't break. As for things on the walls, I have no clue on what to get or put up. I love seeing pictures or walking into peoples houses who do it and do it well and I love it. But when it comes to me doing it I wonder if it looks like clutter on a wall.
I bought a 7 piece frame set of four different sizes...their just frames that you put stuff in them not pictures or unless you want a frame in a frame. In the largest one I bought a defuser and put a temp. picture I have of ds1 which I intend to replace with our wedding picture. In a smaller frame I put a stone vase that dh's aunt gave us 6 yrs ago. So now I have 5 empty frames.
In my dining room there is a wall that only has a 12 inch mirror. Its been there since we moved here. Dh and his family are all wondering what creative thing I'm going to do with that wall but even I'm in this one.
I think the reason they are all wondering what I'm going to do is b/c they've seen my SIL's creatively decorate their homes and our has always been "Blah." My excuse then was that we lived in apartments so I never really had a desire to decorate a place that wasn't my own and have to travel with all the stuff every couple of years. So now we have a house and they will ask me what color I will paint a room or what I will put on the walls. But as it is I'm doing things here and there without an actual design or plan. But I do actually have a theme that even that I've compromised on alittle. Originally it was country/cottage now its country/cottage with a contemporary twist.
The bedrooms have literally nothing on the walls b/c I don't have a clue on what to do.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
BlessedBlue
Rose Garden

Have you ever heard a fly roar? Listen carefully!

BlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ashamed as a woman to admit this.......

I have the exact same problem...

sister to Blue-EyedLady since forever
wife to Trooper (Wounded Warrior) 3-98
Graphics designing sapphiremama to EBug 2-04, ABoo 2-06, and Goggle 8-09
BlessedBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
malakoa
Rose Garden

Fearless

malakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant future

Can you ask your SIL for help?
Old 12-29-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Mashena

I usually find one item I love and go from there. I've decorated an entire room around a pillow, vase, fabric, whatever.

General tips I live by:

Find things that coordinate with your favorite item. (If you're not sure what coordinates go to a paint store and play around with the colors there) Keep shelves at about 2/3 capacity. Arrange things in threes and in triangle shapes (just give it three points). Hang pictures so that the mid point is at about eye level.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:19 PM   #5
Katydid
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Katydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond repute

I love getting inspiration from magazines and Ikea catalogs.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

saturnfire16 has disabled reputation

I'll listen in for advice, because I have the same problem. I don't think having a uterus neccesarily qualifies me to decorate.

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

Torah Keeping, Unschooling Family

My blog on unschooling and family life: Peace On Dark Nights.
saturnfire16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

We are remodeling the bathroom this week and I am fishing for ideas----
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:46 PM   #8
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Beauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the same way. Dh did all the decorating, accessories, furniture, etc. for our home. The only space I decorated was dd's room and that's because it holds my desk, book case, hobby stuff, and laptop.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that they might be glorified.
Beauty4Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
Lavender Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole325
I usually find one item I love and go from there. I've decorated an entire room around a pillow, vase, fabric, whatever.

General tips I live by:

Find things that coordinate with your favorite item. (If you're not sure what coordinates go to a paint store and play around with the colors there) Keep shelves at about 2/3 capacity. Arrange things in threes and in triangle shapes (just give it three points). Hang pictures so that the mid point is at about eye level.

I hear you but when I listen to these decorating experts. they say not to go with one thing, like (lets say) butterlies. Where you have tons of butterfly stuff around your house. Not like you're saying this but this is where my mind goes when you say "Find one item you like." Don't get me started on color
TBH, I don't really own anything that I can use to go off on. I have a picture I bought that could probably do it but even thats hard My livingroom is a two tone white and light sage. The framed picture is red with a plantation in it.....lots of reds in it. frames and anything in the room thats hanging is black.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #10
Embracing Grace
Rose Trellis

Embracing Grace has disabled reputation

Yeah, I can't deal with wall stuff. We have a large framed mirror hanging in our living room that works really well with everything, and some other odds and ends, but it seems very incomplete. I do think that LESS is more, so don't worry about being minimal.

Josiah, 7
Judah, 3
Married to John
www.hebrew4christians.com
Embracing Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #11
Mashena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender Lily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole325

General tips I live by:

I hear you but when I listen to these decorating experts. they say not to go with one thing, like (lets say) butterlies. Where you have tons of butterfly stuff around your house. Not like you're saying this but this is where my mind goes when you say "Find one item you like." Don't get me started on color
TBH, I don't really own anything that I can use to go off on. I have a picture I bought that could probably do it but even thats hard My livingroom is a two tone white and light sage. The framed picture is red with a plantation in it.....lots of reds in it. frames and anything in the room thats hanging is black.

ah. yeah. It's easy to be "matchy" rather than coordinating and complementing - which is what I meant. Or - if you're using butterflies you get every.single.thing. you can find with butterflies rather than choosing only special items that actually do fit your theme.

When I say "one thing" I'm more along the lines of "I love this blue vase" - hmmm...what color goes good with that? Brown! Ok - now to find living room things in blue and brown - and maybe another color ..

I'm probably not much help. Sorry!
Old 12-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #12
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Or you find a butterfly you like, and then build *around* it--not multiply *it*. So choose the colors of the butterfly for your wall and accessory colors.

As I was really trying to perfect my style I watched lots of HGTV and TLC
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #13
Lavender Lily

Nicole325 you've been a great help.
I do now get what you're saying. Its about color and not about getting tons of butterflies. See now if I was single I could pull off the tons of butterflies in my room.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:28 PM   #14
Mashena

ArmsofLove - you said that MUCH better than I did!

and Lily - I am single and am totally doing a butterfly room! sort of. The curtains have butterflies and then I'm using the colors from the curtains elsewhere in the room. (the beginnings of my butterfly guest room/office: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3378498...ags/guestroom/ I REALLY want a black iron bed)
Old 12-30-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
Lavender Lily

For a minute there I thought I was looking at a site by Martha Stewart. I love that. See I would never think about that.