Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 07-17-2008, 06:28 AM   #1
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default ETLDTD - week 3, day4 -- 7/17/8

Week three

Attitude shift - Harnessing the Power of Free will
Reason; the only person you can make change is yourself
Discipline skill: choices
Value: COmmitment

Read pp 57 to 58 - an intro to choices - think about the chapter on choices and think about what you need to do today.

Review the challenge p 262 and 263 - how are you doing? What changes do you want to make?

CHeck the reading for the week
*p 45 to 46 Power of Free will
*p 57 and 58
*Ch 5
Did you read this? If yes, re-read what you need review on

Practice the power of free will p 46 or your cheat sheet
Practice "there's no time like the present" at the end of choices chapter -- p 119 -- add this to your cheat sheets if you need it

How it is going?

A housekeeping question?? after week 7, would anyone like to spend an extra week doing the reading not covered in the challenge and discussing it or should we start working this in - we could work on these on fridays and the weekend if no one wants to extend the challenge
*Ch 10 -- why children do what they do - the development of misbehavior
*Ch 11- loving guidance in action: solving the top disipline problems
*Epilogue
*the What if's page

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:38 AM   #2
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ETLDTD - week 3, day4 -- 7/17/8

I just want to say overall I feel I am REALLY changing. It's evidenced in my response to my dh last night. I made popcorn and cheezy popcorn (w/nutritional yeast) and asked "did you get enough popcorn?" I was making a second batch for the children (they don't like the "cheez") and wanted to know if I should add nutritional yeats to half the batch.

His answer "Well, I only got one bowl" he wasn't mean but we both have a tendency to be passive agressive and not even recognize it
My response (pause while I thought about this) "I hear you saying that you wanted more than one bowl and would like me to make some more."
Him (sounding very humble) "yes, thank you"

In the past I would have nagged and said "can't you just ask me for more. Do you have to be rude about it? When you say that, I feel you are callingme a pig" Because I ate the rest of it I ran 3 miles and showered and was RAVENOUS. RUnning more than 2 miles makes me starved The entire thing made me feel I was floating on air

And I am working HARD AT offering positive choices. I even stopped myself last night during teethbrushing time from forcing "the hard way" on Luke. He was WAY overtired. We hung out with LisaM much of the day and then he swam and rode his bike while I ran. Hint to me and dh --- he needed an earlier bedtime but didn't get it So it was time to brush and he wouldn't do it. I asked him if he would like me or daddy to brush for him. He said neither and went into full pout mode. I decided not to push the issue because knowing him it would have escalated. We have spent way too many times with him in full melt down mode. I decided "I don't want to force him. Its not worth it - he's too overtired to learn anything from this" and walked away But the best part was -- he walked upstairs, got on his diaper and climbed in bed (he was still melting down left and right). We skipped read aloud time. As soon as he laid down and I did his bedtime ritual, he was asleep before I could even turn off the light In the past, he would be sobbing and crying in the closet after a really long meltdown when I told him. "YOu must brush your teeth. You have not chosen, so I will choose for you." and proceeded to brush his teeth while he mauled me Then we'd have to carry him upstairs and he'd be hitting and punching while I did it. Then he would hide in the closet and cry until read alouds were over when I'd carry him to bed.

So I feel it was a victory This book really is helping me become the mom I want to be (again - I used to be that person )

Today's goal - only offer positive choices. Focus on what I want more of. Own my own feelings.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
Old 07-17-2008, 06:49 AM   #3
MaiMama
Rose Garden

MaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond repute

I had a horrible night last night. I think I'm PMSing. I used assertive language, but it was really an overreaction. At the moment I was really proud of myself for using the "right" words, but if I think about it more, it wasn't the heart of the matter. She was needing me, and I was avoiding her.

I'm having a hard time with all of this. I guess I need to go back to the beginning.

I am lovable and loving. So are my kids.
I am in charge of me.
I can change myself, but no one else. (or God can change me--I get hazy on whether to believe I can make myself change, YKWIM?)
No one can make me angry without my permission.
Own my own upset.
Breathe and PIVOT. Choose to see things differently.
Make choices actively, don't just let life happen to me.

(At the moment, I chose to turn on the TV (first time for kids' shows in a long time) so I could work on this and make a call or two. I decided it was better than having them climb on me and feel left out.) In a little while, I will choose to turn it off.

More
Trinity Rain - The Matrix, 2004
Jackson Atreyu - The Neverending Story, 2006
Bella Adalyn - Twilight, 2009
and introducing:
Lincoln Ambassador - Fringe, 12/16/2012
remembering Aviva Ata '08
MaiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:26 AM   #4
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Well, the person who typed my earlier post has left the bulding or something - I am right in the middle of a MAJOR meltdown - the kids AND I. I keep trying to start over and I keep failing

It's awful here and i can't think of any way to turns things around.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Jodi

Can you go outside? Go to a park? Read a book to the kids?

The moment is as it is. You can choose to see it differently. You can do it!

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

I just read pp 45 & 46. She talks about how society expects us to MAKE our kids mind and how we can't make anyone do anything. Does anyone else feel guilty when their kids don't 'mind' and you work towards compliance using this and the 5 steps. We know we are doing the right thing for our kids yet still feel guilty by society's standards? Does this even make sense to anyone?

I'm so my thoughts are tougher to get out.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
Old 07-17-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
MamaMansa
Deactivated

MamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama
A housekeeping question?? after week 7, would anyone like to spend an extra week doing the reading not covered in the challenge and discussing it or should we start working this in - we could work on these on fridays and the weekend if no one wants to extend the challenge
*Epilogue
*the What if's page
Anything that extends the length of this challenge works for me.

Off to do the reading....
MamaMansa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #8
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMansa
Quote:
*Epilogue
*the What if's page
Anything that extends the length of this challenge works for me.

Off to do the reading....

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
Old 07-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #9
MamaMansa
Deactivated

MamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to all

Quote:
Well, the person who typed my earlier post has left the bulding or something - I am right in the middle of a MAJOR meltdown - the kids AND I. I keep trying to start over and I keep failing

It's awful here and i can't think of any way to turns things around.
Use the Power of Perception. I often have to catch myself before thinking the day is "bad" or "awful" (which I do a LOT). Remember, this chapter has us focus on our own perceptions. I love the example they use about traffic......traffic can be "awful" or we can view it as, "a lot of cars on the road today."

I say this as I sit here alone in silence, drinking my coffee, with my DH off work, and the kids out and about with him. When that's not the case, I can't tell you how many times I have to stop myself from labeling an entire day as "miserable" (ie. last Saturday, and the DD meltdown I was telling you about off list, LOL).

You can do it!
Old 07-17-2008, 10:35 AM   #10
MamaMansa
Deactivated

I need help. Can we talk about choices a bit?

I have a DD(4) who continuously picks "C" when offered "A" or "B."

What are your standard responses to that? I repeat "A" and "B" and she either says "neither" or "C."
Old 07-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #11
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

Quote:

What are your standard responses to that? I repeat "A" and "B" and she either says "neither" or "C."
With dd 6.75 this morning, I told her she could ask for option C. If she did it respectfully, I would consider it. Not sure if that would work w/a 4 y/o. If not, you can wait a few moments and pick for her.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
Old 07-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #12
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

I came on to ask for help pivoting. DD1 is driving me nuts. She is questioning EVERYTHING! And no answer is good enough. I finally sent her to her room and said she could come down when she was ready to cooperate & help. Took her 45 minutes at least. She just came down. I just kept thinking, I don't want her around. ideas on how you pivot thru things like that?

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
Old 07-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #13
Praise

Quote:

We've had moderate success with 1) Stating the command first. For example, if I just say "Do you want your red or blue shirt?" dd may pick none. But if I say "You need to put a shirt on. Do you want your red or blue shirt?" then it seems to help. 2) Empathizing. I may say something like: "Aw, it's so hot. You really don't want to wear any shirt. Yeah, I sometimes feel like that. We need to go outside, so shirts are mandatory." 3) Pausing. I sometimes stop and think, and if I'm feeling playful try to come up with a 3rd option and state it like it is a huge compromise. "Weeeell, I suppose you could wear the orange shirt, but..." and then go overboard pretending I hope she doesn't pick that option.

More later.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #14
Amber
Rose Garden

Amber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond repute

I think my hormones are all out of whack, I must be PMSing or something. The things that were so easy for me to do last week just aren't happening this week Both today and yesterday I have been hearing the words come out of my mouth and knowing that is not what I want to say to my kids

I took the boys to the Children's Museum today, and I was really surprised at the amount of passive language I heard parents using. I kept catching myself doing it too, then rewording my directions to the boys to be assertive.

Today my big goal is to make the time to reconnect with Cole. I've been doing good connecting with Kyle, but not so good doing it with Cole. For the next couple of days I am going to pour myself into him, and get good and connected. My other goal today is to stop before I say anything to my kids and filter out the crazy before I actually say anything

Big M (6/03) Forever ours Dec 2012
C (6/04),
Little M (10/05) Forever ours Dec 2012
K (5/06)

Missing our foster daughter Miss A
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #15
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

Quote:
For the next couple of days I am going to pour myself into him, and get good and connected.
How do you do this?

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save