Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 07-10-2008, 04:41 AM   #1
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default ETLDTD - week 2, day 4-- 7/10/8

Attitude shift - harnessing the power of Attention
Reason: what you focus on, you get more of
Discipline skill - assertiveness
Value respect

Did you do the reading for the week? Comments? Thoughts?
Read P 30 to 32 -- Power of Attention
Read p 73-96 -- Assertiveness

Practice the power of attention p 34 (also on cheat sheets)
Consider carefully the chart on p 85 -- what percentage of the time are you Passive? Agressive? Assertive?
Re-read the week 2 challenge.

This is exactly yesterday's challenge - we must constantly repeat ourselves to make this habit

Hope to hear everyone is doing well, maintaining their composure and using the power of attention to use assertiveness with their children

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:42 AM   #2
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ETLDTD - week 2, day 4-- 7/10/8

I haven't managed to read anything yet this week

Today's goal is to do the reading and apply it to my life.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
Old 07-10-2008, 04:44 AM   #3
Living My Dream
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

*Dream*Believe*Achieve*

Living My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond repute

im on ch 5 nearly finished at the moment. struggling to get DS1 to stop chasing the dog. im sure the guidelines she expains work better on older children.

Living My Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:31 AM   #4
Havilah

subbing... I started reading my book yesterday. hopefully i'm not too far behind to hop in.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:29 AM   #5
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula
im on ch 5 nearly finished at the moment. struggling to get DS1 to stop chasing the dog. im sure the guidelines she expains work better on older children.
Hmmm. . . well it's about helping him to choose to stop chasing the dog and TBH it's probably not going to happen until he grows out of it

It's about realizing that your ds chases the dog and stopping it while realizing that in the stopping it you are teaching him that's not okay here.

I honestly don't think the guidelines work better in older children but I do add lots of crystals ideas to hers (especially the 5 steps)
The guidelines are about learning to change ourselves so we can model to our children the appropriate behavior. I do remember feeling like it wasn't working though when my kids are young. Now I can see having a 2.5 yo, a 6.5 yo and an 8yo. It's is working - forming a basis for their future self control. And many behaviors you don't "discipline them out of" they "grow out of"

Hang in there - so many things are tough w/toddlers/preschoolers

I hope this isn't taken as a lecture but as an encouragement

Havilah Never too late to join

Old 07-10-2008, 07:35 AM   #6
Living My Dream
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

*Dream*Believe*Achieve*

Living My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond repute

thank-you for ur words jodi. not a lecture

Old 07-10-2008, 07:44 AM   #7
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Subbing for today. I need to maintain my self control and remember that what I focus on I get more of.

My take-aways from this week's reading:

Match verbal & non-verbal cues
Be assertive w/o underlying fear
give usable info
Make contact -- eye or physial -- BEFORE talking/directing

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:01 AM   #8
MaiMama
Rose Garden

MaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! It's already day 4? Yikes. I got off to a slow start now that we are back home and DH is here. I'm about halfway through the readings.

I think what y'all talked about a day or two ago about reteaching is really important for me to keep in mind. I think it will be easier to have composure if I remember that reteaching is normal and not an indication of my failure to teach the first time or her failure to learn the first time. I think when things go wrong I do switch right to negative thinking about how she should know it by now, and I get mad at her, but if I dig deeper, it's because I think I failed by not getting it across the first time.

Do y'all struggle with finding the right balance of trying to work on this stuff without belittling yourself when it's not perfect? For today's goals, I'm going to keep in mind what she said that I have the right to make mistakes, and that I can receive feedback without assuming its an indication that I'm not good enough. That kind of thinking just derails me from making progress.

Although it makes me think of SNL: I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me. Yet I need to remind myself of similar things. But I guess that's a different post. Except it's in chapter 2--you can't offer to others what you don't give yourself.

So today, I'm going to work on offering grace & positive attributions to myself and the kids.
I'm posting on my fridge: "What I focus on I get more of."
I'm going to work on my own cheat sheet to print off.
I'm going to focus on connecting with my children--at least 10 minutes of play together.
I'm going to pay attention to the amount of time I'm being passive, aggressive, and assertive. 50 20 30

Trinity Rain - The Matrix, 2004
Jackson Atreyu - The Neverending Story, 2006
Bella Adalyn - Twilight, 2009
and introducing:
Lincoln Ambassador - Fringe, 12/16/2012
remembering Aviva Ata '08
MaiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
MamaMansa
Deactivated

MamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to all

We're trudging along. My goal for the day is to get some time to sit down and read.
MamaMansa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:11 AM   #10
Radosny Matka
Rose Garden

I am so blessed!

Radosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh, total non-success (all on my part) after playgroup this morning. It was at my house, with 3 littles 1 and under, 3 three year olds, and my 7 year old. We had 1-1/2 hours between N's friend and his mommy coming over. House was a disaster. I asked N to go clean up the computer room while I did the living room. He said he was scared, yada yada, which is code for either I don't want to do this myself, or it's too big of a mess to handle myself. I went into the room and told him to start with either the gears or the tinker toys. More protesting. I finally told him to either get that room cleaned up or I was calling his friend's mommy to tell them not to come over. I even pretended to be looking up the phone number. The whole time I knew what I was doing, knew I could do it better, but didn't care. So, here's to a better afternoon.

Remembering our babies: 12/98 9/99 12/09 1/17
Radosny Matka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:18 AM   #11
Living My Dream
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

*Dream*Believe*Achieve*

havent had time to read but wanted to add (naking btw)

bath time tonight... SUCCESS!

"You have a choice, would you like to pull the plug out? or shall mummy do it?"

"mummy do it please"

You have another choice... do you want to whoosh out of the bath like a rocket, or be lifted out like a crane.

a rocket please

BATHTIME FINISHING WAS EASY!!!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #12
Radosny Matka
Rose Garden

I am so blessed!

Radosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
havent had time to read but wanted to add (naking btw)

bath time tonight... SUCCESS!

"You have a choice, would you like to pull the plug out? or shall mummy do it?"

"mummy do it please"

You have another choice... do you want to whoosh out of the bath like a rocket, or be lifted out like a crane.

a rocket please

BATHTIME FINISHING WAS EASY!!!

Remembering our babies: 12/98 9/99 12/09 1/17
Radosny Matka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #13
MamaMansa
Deactivated

MamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to allMamaMansa is a name known to all

Quote:
That is so great! What creative options. I'm going to file that away in my brain to use with my youngest DD.
MamaMansa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #14
Living My Dream
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

*Dream*Believe*Achieve*

glad im useful for smething. my imagination is waaaaaaaaay too big. if you ever need ideas do ask me

Old 07-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
KLin
Rose Garden

KLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond repute

Hello mamas. I slept last night after DH got home. I did not read lastnight. We are having a way better day today, including reacting to Grandma. Did not think that I would be using this book to help with my relationship with her. Seems like the older she gets them more I need to be the adult.

I am paying attention, accepting the way things are and offering choices. I am also being more assertive.
KLin is offline   Reply With Quote