Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:41 AM   #1
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute
Default BHT/BHA/TBHQ-free cereal?

I am trying to avoid these additive/preservatives in my diet.

Can anyone give me an idea of what cereals don't have these things? The idea of going through the cereal aisle reading all the labels while trying to keep track of 3 kids--one of whom likes to go hide lately--is daunting.

I realize that health food store ones probably don't have these added, but I'm hoping for a regular-store selection....if it's possible.
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:43 AM   #2
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BHT/BHA/TBHQ-free cereal?

anything you see that is "all natural" or "organic" should fit that criteria. Both grocery stores I go to have a section of organic/all natural foods. maybe yours does as well? My kids like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Barbaras-Baker.../dp/B000H2XYMM
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:58 AM   #3
cheri
Rose Garden

cheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond repute

i thought i was on top of things.. apparently not. what are BHT, BHA, and TBHQ?

cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:16 AM   #4
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

We are eating Kashi Cinnamon Harvest right now from the regular grocery store...there's about four or five ingredients total in it. It's organic.

I don't think "natural" is a regulated or certifiable term though, it doesn't mean organic and it doesn't always mean there are no additives. You'd still need to check the ingredients carefully.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:27 AM   #5
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

cheri-they are preservatives

I am attempting a low-salicylate diet, and they are on the list as being high in salicylates. Not to mention that they are just not good for you! I may be remembering incorrectly, but I think they are petroleum-derived.

I thought I was eating good when I was eating my Mini-wheats and such...but not as good as I thought, I guess. :/

I thought I was on top of things, too! But then a few weeks ago someone said something about a coating in canned foods that I had no clue about(bisphenol-A?).

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity

Old 02-26-2008, 12:12 AM   #6
SansSouci
Rose Garden

SansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond repute

When I eliminated HFCS from my diet, that eliminated almost every single cereal from the grocery store. Then I added the requirement of no more than 6g of sugar per serving in that cereal... and I'm limited to just a few select cereals in the healthy section (you know how the top right, or the top left of the cereal aisle has the healthy ones).

We like Kashi Heart-to-Heart, and Barbara's something-or-other (sorry I can't remember the name), and Puffins (it has a penguin on the box, or something like that). Sorry I can't remember specifics - it's become second nature to just grab those ones by site.
DS 12 y/o GF/CF/etc. & Recovering from Autism

I Juice Plus+ and sharing it with others. Fruits & veggies in a capsule or soft-chew!
SansSouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:36 AM   #7
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Elizabeth--thanks, I will look for those! I've been trying to avoid HFCS as well, but have kind of backed off a bit on my avoidance in trying to avoid other things.

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity

Old 02-26-2008, 07:46 AM   #8
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

My mom was a vigilante about BHA/BHT when we were growing up . She even wrote to the cereal companies about how terrible it was they were in our foods.

Anyway...finding them on the labels is very easy b/c they're the LAST ingredient in the list, or else they're listed in bold right under the ingredient list in a short sentence. A quick glance finds them.

The ones off the top of my head that are ok are Kix (regular only), Cheerios (regular only - flavored/sweetened ones have it), and Grape Nuts. I know there are more though.

Do you want links about Bisphenol A too? i'm pretty hyper about that at the moment so i can hook you up .
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:01 AM   #9
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

katigre--that's good to know--those cereals you listed are all on my WIC list.

I will be on the lookout for other options, though.

Sure, gimme some bisphenol-A linkies!

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity

Old 02-26-2008, 08:36 AM   #10
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a good starting article - http://www.ewg.org/reports/bisphenola

www.ewg.org is a very reputable group that does huge amounts of research and lobbying for organic/chemical-free/toxin-free/environmental causes and their website is a fount of information on this issue.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:17 AM   #11
cheri
Rose Garden

cheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond repute

I feel kind of sick about this. I like cereal. dd loves cereal. but the organic stuff or stuff from the HFS are so expensive. So I thought I was doing well by discovering that Life cereal doesn't have HFCS, trans fats, not too much sugar... but then today I looked at the box and there it is, BHA.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:48 AM   #12
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Yeah, sugar isn't looking half bad if we can avoid all of the added XYZ's in our food! :/

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity

Old 02-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #13
SansSouci
Rose Garden

SansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri
I feel kind of sick about this. I like cereal. dd loves cereal. but the organic stuff or stuff from the HFS are so expensive. So I thought I was doing well by discovering that Life cereal doesn't have HFCS, trans fats, not too much sugar... but then today I looked at the box and there it is, BHA.
I order my cereal (and crackers!) from www.drugstore.com b/c it's cheap and I can get free shipping. It's way cheaper than any store locally (though I do live in the middle of nowhere).
DS 12 y/o GF/CF/etc. & Recovering from Autism

I Juice Plus+ and sharing it with others. Fruits & veggies in a capsule or soft-chew!
SansSouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:17 AM   #14
Iansmama

Kashi cereals are so yummy! The blueberry heart to heart is my favorite....I miss it so much now that I am wheat free!
Old 02-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #15
cheri
Rose Garden

For those of you whose kids eat cereal, what do they like? my dd will not eat granola or most of the kashi stuff. She likes my dh's grape nut flakes sometimes... and I checked the box, those are fine. But she also likes cereal that she can eat dry, and grape nuts flakes doesn't work out so well for that, especially on the go. she's not a fan of cheerios type cereals at all.

is there a natural version of something like Chex, Life, or anything like that?