Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
blessedwithboys
Rose Garden

blessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Home Owners Associations?

Has anyone owned a home that's part of a HOA? We're looking at a few that are and it's really just a weird concept to me (I've lived in the country my whole life). What was your experience with this? I don't truly get how it can be your home that you paid for, but they can tell you that you can't have pretty yellow flowers (aka dandelions) scattered around your yard....
blessedwithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:13 AM   #2
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default Re: Home Owners Associations?

HOA's are evil imo.

Run far away.

I'm sure some are less invasive than others, but why willingly subject yourself to rules that could change on a whim?

Just my two cents.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
happyhousewife
Rose Garden

Constantly striving to be a gentle mother.

happyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines
HOA's are evil imo.

Run far away.

I'm sure some are less invasive than others, but why willingly subject yourself to rules that could change on a whim?

Just my two cents.
Me too. I would never live in a neighborhood like that. They would completely freak out if they saw our yard. (toys everywhere....and my kids wont let the grass grow in certain spots where they play in the dirt. )
Mama to
DS1- 13, DS2- 9, DS3- 6

happyhousewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
DeenyB

Quote:
HOA's are evil imo.

Run far away.

Just my two cents.

We have one in town here and the stories I hear are crazy!!!!

We lived in a Townhouse complex (owned)about 6 years ago and we had to ask the board for permission to trim the shrubs in front of our house. And when we got permission, they gave a guide on how to do it and specifications.
We even had rules about window coverings.
I am soooooooooooooo glad to be out of there!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:21 AM   #5
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

We fought against a new HOA when we were in TX & won. Here in MI we had very little success in getting a house w/o a HOA (we had several other requirements that were higher priority). Our HOA is $150/year which supposedly pays for the street plowing (um, that's a joke, but that is another story altogether). Anyway, we have had no problems with the dandelions in our yard, the building materials on our driveway or the other assorted messes in our yard. I do not know if that will continue- one of the things that worries me is that right now the builder has control of the HOA & when he sells the last lot the HOA will be controled by someone else who may care more about ridiculous stuff.

Personally, if we could be without an HOA we would. No doubt about it. I know one house we looked at (nearby to where we are now) had in their rules that a loud dog could be required to be removed from the premesis- we have two barky dogs and that worried us enough so that we didn't move there- one irrate neighbor &...... it just wasn't worth the risk.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

I have no problem with some of their rules (well, except for some of their overly anal rules). And I'd even like it if my neighbours wouldn't keep their house trashy and their grass torn up. But I'm so against legislating it. I'm against someone telling me what I can and can't do with my house that I bought. I'm against having to ask permission if we decide to put a shed up in the backyard or add on a deck.

In theory, the concept is okay. Keeping the neighbourhoods looking nice and keeping property value up. But making rules about every little details just goes too darn far. Most cities have basic rules -- grass can't grow over 12 inches, houses can't be condemned and you still be living in them, etc. and I'm okay with those (well, speaking just for my city, I'm sure there are some cities that also take those rules too far).

It's just too snobby for me to have a neighbour concerned that their property value might go down because I have my cloth diapers hanging on a clothesline in my back yard. *gasp*
Old 07-27-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
blessedwithboys
Rose Garden

blessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'm worried about the dog thing. Mine actually usually aren't very barky (and I'm not opposed to bark collars) but I can just see someone that doesn't like dogs saying they barked in order to get them in trouble. I'm just really having a hard time finding the right house outside of a HOA!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:29 AM   #8
2sunshines

I have the perfect solution for you -- stay here.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:29 AM   #9
zak
Administrator

Friend of the Fellowship

zak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond repute

We've owned 3 homes, our first was in a 'hood with no HOA and the rental we still own and our current home both have HOAs. I like the HOAs. Our first home/'hood was not super pretty - it would have been nice if someone could have enforced our neighbors to not have cars on blocks or 13 cars in their yard or mow their grass.

Our HOA for our rental sent us a letter that we needed to get the house pressurewashed - true, it did need it - so we did it. I'd rather them tell me/neighbor to do it than see moldy siding.

Our current HOA is ok. It *seemed* rather "strict", but we haven't had any issues with them yet. Oh, except the approval for our fence, it just took forever to get an answer - the person who does the approvals was on maternity leave when we submitted it. But we still got it approved, no issue.

Dedicated GCMer since 2003

Administrator and Moderating Cradled, Babes, Breastfeeding, Beautiful Mothers and Circumcision
zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:32 AM   #10
klpmommy
Deactivated

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2babyE
Yeah, I'm worried about the dog thing. Mine actually usually aren't very barky (and I'm not opposed to bark collars) but I can just see someone that doesn't like dogs saying they barked in order to get them in trouble. I'm just really having a hard time finding the right house outside of a HOA!
Our current HOA doesn't have the dog rules in it. You can ask to read the rules prior to buying a new house.

I agree with 2Sunshines- yes I like the neighborhood to look "nice", but if I want to leave my wheelbarrow in the driveway b/c I am in the middle of a project & it is taking a while - SO WHAT!!!????? We actually had to get permission from the HOA to have a fence put up, but we made sure we could do that before we bought the house.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:33 AM   #11
blessedwithboys
Rose Garden

Quote:
I have the perfect solution for you -- stay here.
Hey, it might just happen. If they counteroffer and it's good I think we'll stay. Just as I got alllll excited about going.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:36 AM   #12
blessedwithboys
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpmommy
Our current HOA doesn't have the dog rules in it. You can ask to read the rules prior to buying a new house.
I actually found the rules online! The HOA has a website. The rules just say that the dogs can't bother people and that you can't breed dogs/cats or raise farm animals.

Quote:
I agree with 2Sunshines- yes I like the neighborhood to look "nice", but if I want to leave my wheelbarrow in the driveway b/c I am in the middle of a project & it is taking a while - SO WHAT!!!????? We actually had to get permission from the HOA to have a fence put up, but we made sure we could do that before we bought the house.
This HOA has rules about fences- really strict. Fences can only be white vinyl picket fences. Boring! One house we're looking at in this subdivision is already fenced, the other two are not.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:13 AM   #13
klpmommy
Deactivated

The only fence they allowed here was black iron- very expensive!! But necessary so far as I am concerned.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:26 AM   #14
mom2threegirls

We're in a neighborhood with an HOA and for us the benefits have been worth the hassle . It's $200/year which isn't a big deal and we have about 5 acres of common space/park/trails that are kept up weekly with that money plus a lot of other things so I'm ok with it. Out HOA seems to be quite lax- we have had our trailer out in our driveway for months at a time and never heard from them . Once, when we got a new HOA prez, we did get a letter saying that we had to clean our roof or we would be fined . The roofs on the houses are all a light color and stain easily so everyone in the neighborhood that didn't have a new roof got one of those . We cleaned it and haven't heard a thing since (even though the stains are back ). And it does bug me a bit that we have to get board approval if we make any drastic changes but for the most part I like it. Our's isn't meddlesome at all and only steps in if the house isn't being taken care of and hasn't for quite awhile- some dandelions in the yard or a wheelbarrow in the driveway for a few weeks isn't a problem at all. I know a lot of them are very invasive though. DH isn't fond of the HOA but we're planning on staying here long term so we just get along and make friends with the board members .

Quote:
Fences can only be white vinyl picket fences.
That's funny because our's won't allow white vinyl picket fences! We have to put up wood ones .
Old 07-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #15
Jenjardin
Rose Trellis

Jenjardin has much to be proud ofJenjardin has much to be proud ofJenjardin has much to be proud ofJenjardin has much to be proud ofJenjardin has much to be proud ofJenjardin has much to be proud ofJenjardin has much to be proud ofJenjardin has much to be proud ofJenjardin has much to be proud ofJenjardin has much to be proud ofJenjardin has much to be proud of

The area we recently moved to has a lot of HOAs, so I learned to ignore any listings with that included. I don't want someone else telling me what color to paint my house, shutters, fence etc. We ended up in a very nice "in-town" neighborhood where everyone's homes are pretty much tasteful anyway, and they don't all look alike either.

2 drop-dead gorgeous (inside and out) daughters, 18 (How did this happen??? ) and 17

How lovely are Your dwelling places, O LORD of hosts! Ps 84:1 Do you realize how lovely you are, my friend? Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, including yourself.
Jenjardin is offline   Reply With Quote