Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:29 AM   #1
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Run with endurance the race that is set before you. . . Heb. 12:1

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute
arrow Please read this before perusing or posting in this forum

Welcome!

The Unprepared for Parenting* forum offers support and information for those affected by the punitive and adversarial parenting methods taught by Gary Ezzo, the Pearls, James Dobson, Tedd Tripp, and other punitive parenting gurus.

When posting here please remember this is a public forum, and we have the opportunity in this forum to minister not only to our members, but to those just reading as well. Please be mindful that parents still caught in the paradigm of punitive parenting are reading our words. Also, there are many mothers who are members of this site who used to parent in these ways, as well as others who are trying to break away. None of us are better than any other mother -- we all are in need of God's grace. Prayerfully our words will offer grace and hope to all who read here, including those who may still be caught in a punitive parenting paradigm.

Those who are leaving behind adversarial parenting methods may express strong feelings about these things. It can be difficult and scary when we begin to realize that some of our mistakes have harmed our children. Please be gentle and patient with everyone here whether they have done attachment parenting from the start, are just leaving behind detached methods of parenting, or are still looking into gentle discipline and attachment parenting.

We encourage you to post in this forum. . .

. . . for support when you've been personally affected by such programs.

. . . for help to better understand the Biblical concerns with these punitive and adversarial approaches to parenting.

. . . for help to be able to better share information with churches and friends who misguidedly believe the Bible supports parenting programs such as those advocated by Gary Ezzo and the Pearls.

. . . to share analyses and chapter-by-chapter reviews of books by punitive authors. Please avoid straw-man bashing, such as the way Gary Ezzo bashes a made-up version of attachment parenting. We want to avoid doing the same thing in reverse.

. . . to share links to a book or book review. However, do not link to or target Christian discussion boards or blogs where punitive mothers go for support.

If you have practical discipline questions, please post them in our Gentle Discipline forum. It's important to partner learning new tools with getting rid of the old. You will find a wealth of ideas and encouragement there.

I Peter 2:1-3 offers a good guideline:

"Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good."

When posting in this forum, please keep in mind the following specific rule from our Posting Guidelines and Rules:

Quote:
22. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.
* The name of this forum -- Unprepared for Parenting -- is a reference to the Ezzos' church-based parenting program for infants that used to be entitled "Preparation for Parenting." For more information about how their titles' names have changed please see http://www.ezzo.info/parent.htm .

Vegan mom to my vegan kiddos DD1 (24), DS1 (21), DD2 (18), and DS2 (15)
And wife to my gentle DH for 26 years and counting

Instagram: gentleveganrunner
gentlechristianmothers

Last edited by flowermama; 01-24-2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: to fix typo
flowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flowermama For This Useful Post:
MaybeGracie (09-21-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
Maggirayne
Rose Garden

Standing for gentleness and honesty

Maggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please read this before perusing or posting in this forum

The link to the Gentle Discipline forum doesn't work.
Grace is not a destination, it's a journey.
I first learned to show grace to my child that was not shown to me, then I learned to accept it for myself, and only recently have I been able to have grace for others more.
~Sweetpeasmommy
A
Maggirayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
graciousmomma

It'd be nice if you could pull me into town.

graciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please read this before perusing or posting in thisjjkokyo forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
jhfhfhhfhfhehjhfhhfgggyrgrgfrerkjuy7recvdhcfvvdbgv dbvf vnb bhhvrt bgfgavzxpiihkgfnffnnf fbfbeb tty5yb b gry4 hth hr y55yh y5y
newday (03-24-2011)
Old 03-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Someone allowed little fingers alone with the keyboard.

My pages:
Old 03-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
newday
Deactivated

newday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciousmomma View Post

jhfhfhhfhfhehjhfhhfgggyrgrgfrerkjuy7recvdhcfvvdbgv dbvf vnb bhhvrt bgfgavzxpiihkgfnffnnf fbfbeb tty5yb b gry4 hth hr y55yh y5y
newday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to newday For This Useful Post:
graciousmomma (03-24-2011), katiekind (03-24-2011), Mokek Kwe (04-01-2011)
Old 03-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
graciousmomma

It'd be nice if you could pull me into town.

graciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
Someone allowed little fingers alone with the keyboard.
I apologize, I have 4 kids, one of whom is a newborn - so I have a few distractions sometimes, and my newly 6 yo is fast - she has been randomly posting across GCM. She is one of those kids who doesn't stay in one place for too long, so I don't always catch it when she does it. We are working on it
Mokek Kwe (04-01-2011), Mother of Sons (04-01-2011), NurseKristie (12-31-2013)
Old 03-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
Hermana Linda
Administrator

No apologies necessary. I should have phrased that better. I only posted it because sometimes someone wonders what is up. We all get quite a kick out of it.

My pages:
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
Domina (06-02-2011), graciousmomma (03-24-2011), katiekind (03-24-2011), Mokek Kwe (04-01-2011), mom2boys (11-19-2013), newday (03-24-2011), Tasmanian Saint (03-25-2011), yellowheart (03-24-2011)
Old 11-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
hammys88
Seedling Rose

hammys88 is on a distinguished road

thanks!
hammys88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hammys88 For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (11-19-2013)