Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 07-17-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
monkeylicious
Rose Garden

here we go!

monkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of light
Default ETLDTD - Week One, Tuesday

From Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline by Becky A. Bailey:

Week One

ATTITUDE SHIFT: Harnessing the Power of Perception
REASON: To own your own upset.
DISCIPLINE SKILL: Composure
VALUE: Integrity

* Listen to how often you blame others. Carefully note any "make me" language. Replace "don't make me ______" with "I'm going to _____."

COMPOSURE: Living the values you want your child to develop.
* Breathe deeply and decide that you are going to stick with these exercises. Even when you lose your composure, in the next moment it can be yours again.
mama to an angel in heaven - july 2005
mama to Evangeline aka evie(licious) - june 2007
monkeylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ETLDTD - Week One, Tuesday

Quote:
Breathe deeply
Oh...I been doing this ALL day Its been pouring here for a day and a half and they are cooped up and we are all getting a bit frazzled!!! What a week to start this...but then again maybe its the BEST week for me

Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:29 AM   #3
puah

i have grown in not SAYING 'don't make me...' but it's taking longer to get it out of my mind how long after my language changes does my heart catch up?
Old 07-18-2006, 06:33 AM   #4
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

so I can find this later.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:24 AM   #5
Blue Aurora
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond repute

me 2

True obedience is a matter of love, which makes it voluntary, not compelled by fear or force. ~Dorothy Day

Blue Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

today went really really well for us - I managed to stay calm in spite of all the stimulation of the hospital and Luke did well in his spinal for those of you praying (thank you).

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:21 PM   #7
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama
today went really really well for us - I managed to stay calm in spite of all the stimulation of the hospital and Luke did well in his spinal for those of you praying (thank you).

We've done fairly well here today Checking my mindset every so often has really helped me focus on what's really going on, rather than me feeling like my house and my family are out to get me I've caught myself thinking, "you're driving me NUTS!", and have been able to turn it around and realise that I'm getting frustrated..and dd is simply acting her age. :P
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:34 PM   #8
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

Jodi that is good news
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:51 PM   #9
monkeylicious
Rose Garden

here we go!

monkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of light

dd and i had another good day. (she must know something is up! and this is the calm before the storm! ) i am usually pretty good at remaining calm... it's the living the values i want her to learn that i think is harder for me.

sonshinemama - it's difficult to remain calm even under normal circumstances at times, you must be very strong and strong in your faith to maintain in that environment and circumstances.
mama to an angel in heaven - july 2005
mama to Evangeline aka evie(licious) - june 2007
monkeylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:57 PM   #10
euromom
Rose Garden

euromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant future

I'm trying to remind myself to "own my own upset" but I find that it is a battle and I find myself even thinking at times, when I am in an icky mood, "I don't want to own my own upset!" because I think in reality it is easier to shift the blame of why we are upset onto others or our circumstances instead of owning up to it ourselves. So I am trying to make a concious effort to make it mine even when I don't want to. This challenge is good for me. This afternoon was hard because DS took a short nap and woke up still tired but would not go back to sleep and was a handful the entire rest of the day. On top of that there were some other circumstances that got me upset and that's when I didn't want to own my own upset but I kept reminding myself I needed to.
mommy to my HBAC blessing dd- 01/10!

euromom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:42 PM   #11
Iansmama

Well, I actually said it today (you're making me mad) , then stopped myself mid sentence and reworded so that I owned it.

Quote:
how long after my language changes does my heart catch up?

Old habits, you know? It seems like it's ingrained in my subconcious to react without being calm and owning my feelings. I realized that I am actually doing both: learning and teaching these skills at the same time.

I guess I get a little head start on ds because I read the book , but he doesn't have to stop and erase all the things he learned previously so I think we are even.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:22 AM   #12
raisa

Kind of an ironic twist on this . . . I feel like I'm really good at identifying when OTHER people blame too much and fail to take responsibility for their own feelings. But getting upset about THAT is just another level of the same problem. Every time I hear myself saying "he just blames everyone" I need to replace it with "I'm going to take care of myself and decide how much to think about this person's problem."