Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Vaccination Awareness *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vaccination Awareness *Public* We encourage you to study and learn about the pros and cons of vaccinations so you can make an informed choice.
A public forum.

Old 07-08-2005, 04:28 AM   #1
BHope
Rose Garden

Finding the Good

BHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond repute
Default A rant, for the sake of venting. (Vericella)

Hey ladies,

Just thought you'd be interested to hear this little story.

My family selectively vaxes. Well, really the only vaccinations we don't do are for common childhood illnesses that I believe have low risks. So for us, that's really things like the flu vaccination.

Point being my daughter had her 18 month well-baby appt on the 24th of June. When we went into get her vaccinations the medic (military health clinic) informed us that along with two follow up shots she was getting a new 'live' virus shot. It caught me off guard. (Please, also imagine we are in a very small enclosed space, my daughter is DONE being poked at by strangers and has begun to cry. Probably in anticipation of the shots. So, not the best situation for a sit down "let's discuss this" type of conversation.) I asked him what kind of live virus and he responded by saying "Oh, it's the vericella vaccination. For chicken pox."

This is where warning bells are going off in my head.

At the time I wasn't even sure that *I* was immune to chicken pox. Being pregnant, I couldn't imagine that getting the chicken pox was the best bet for me. Let alone my unborn baby, and DD. I told the medic that we'd "Skip" that one for now. I needed to get more information first. He then began to press me on what my concerns where, and proceeded to be unable to answer my questions. We spent probably 15 minutes discussing it.

I really (looking back) think that he didn't know what to do with the already prepped shot of a live virus. He kept looking at the shots, as though he didn't know what to do with them if I walked out.

And believe me my whole body was screaming "LEAVE! Just leave! Don't come back until you are comfortable!" But off course, I didn't leave. Instead I tried to quiet DD and I tried to explain to him that I would be more than willing to come back in a week -even- after I'd researched the information.

He finally excused himself and came back with DD's Ped. The Pediatrician proceeded to insist that the shot was safe, that DD would most likely not contract chicken pox from the vaccination, and that (in response to my fears that I might not be immune) 90% of adults are immune to the chicken pox. So, even if DD did get them, I wouldn't be at risk. She couldn't answer my questions about what would happen to my unborn baby IF I did get the chicken pox... but kept telling me that no medical journal has 'pregnancy' down as contraindicative (sp?) of the vericella vaccine.

Long story short, I conceded. DD got the three shots. It was nightmare, and I felt like crying along with my daughter. After the appt I went home and immediately researched the shot, and confirmed my niggling suspicion that it wasn't a shot that I wanted to give my daughter in the first place. *sigh*

That was two weeks ago.

Guess what my daughter has contracted?

The chicken pox!

She has bumps all over her, has been running a fever now for 24 hours, and is generally sick. My husband called the clinic to see if there was anything we could do. While on the phone with the triage nurse he mentions (because he's kind of angry about the way I was strong armed into the shot) that he really resents the fact that we weren't better educated about the shot. The nurse informs him that "We told you that there is a *rare* chance your DD could contract the actual virus."

(Insert rant about difference between "consent" and "informed consent.")

To which my husband responds, "Well, then what are the chances of my wife contracting the chicken pox?"

The nurse tells him I have been exposed already, but that even if I had the chicken pox virus previously, there is a rare chance I could get it again.

My husband says, "So you are telling me she's going to get the chicken pox."

The confused nurse answers, "Ummm... no I am saying it's *unlikely* she'll catch it."

"Yeah," Dh tells her, "That's what you said about my daughters chances as well."

ROFL.

Ugh. I guess it's not the end of the world. It's just that Dh is on 12 hour shifts and doesn't have a day off coming until the 31st of July. Not to mention being 20 weeks pregnant.

Anybody know how I go about making sure that this case of chicken pox (as a result of vaccination) actually gets reported? The Ped told me not to come in. They don't want to expose other kids/people. But if I don't go in, then there will be nothing on record. Nothing reported. And the statistics of children who contract the chicken pox from the vaccine will continue to be 'rare,'

DD1 (8 years old)
DD2 (6 years old)
DD3 (4.5 years old)

Eternally missing DFS3 (stored safely in our hearts) and DFS1
Praying for Little R as she transitions into a new family.
May you always know God's love and His comfort.
BHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 05:53 AM   #2
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A rant, for the sake of venting. (Vericella)

I'm sorry... Doug had that stupid vaccine and contracted CP too. Which is why my other kids haven't had it.

she feels better, you stay healthy, and you all survive the 12 hours shifts.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 05:57 AM   #3
Chris3jam
Rose Garden

Chris3jam has disabled reputation

I think they do have to put it in your dd's records that she contracted it from the vaccine. But I'm not sure about it. Can you contact the CDC?
Old 07-08-2005, 06:02 AM   #4
DogwoodMama
Deactivated

DogwoodMama is on a distinguished road

Is there another dr you can see? I'm very concerned about you possibly contacting CP... I found this info from the UK about chickenpox & pregnancy, what to do, but I don't know how valid it is...

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068942/
DogwoodMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 08:22 AM   #5
cannuke
Deactivated

cannuke is on a distinguished road

Are you in the US? In the sticky on this forum, there's a link to the National Vaccine Information Centre and they have a link to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS). It says that anyone can report to VAERS, so you can look into doing it yourself since it sounds like the health care providers that you've been dealing with might not be so helpful.

HTH!
cannuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:35 AM   #6
boonpnutsmom
Deactivated

boonpnutsmom will become famous soon enough

I know this would be upsetting to your ill feeling DD, but TAKE YOUR DD IN. They can't stop you from taking her in. That is how most cases of CP actually cause an "outbreak". But if your DD already has the bumps and is feeling miserable there is nothing they can do but to confirm it. If it is indeed Chickenpox, then it will now be in her health record and you can get on with trying to figure out how to help her feel better. Patients are contagious from 2 days before onset of the rash until all lesions have crusted.

Chicken pox can cause some pretty nasty things in adults, pneumonia being the main thing. As for in pregnancy, I think at 20 weeks you are fairly safe. It is extremely dangerous at the beginning of pregnancy and at time of delivery. I think there is a titer to see if you are immune, you could possibly ask about that.

Hope you DD is feeling better soon.
boonpnutsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 11:40 AM   #7
cobluegirl
Moderator in Breaking the Chains

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

(((HUGS))) I am sorry you are going through this. I would indeed contact the NVIC.
Dd1-T1/3
Dd2-T2/1

~praying for healing and restoration in my marriage

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:26 PM   #8
Radosny Matka
Moderator in In the News, Personal Issues, Protecting Our Children, and Vaccination Awareness

I am so blessed!

Radosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond repute

Remembering our babies: 12/98 9/99 12/09

Blogging about life in Japan: http://lifeinnagoya.wordpress.com
Radosny Matka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:44 PM   #9
BHope
Rose Garden

Finding the Good

BHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for posting and then dropping off the face of the net. Things have been busy on this end. What with a sick babe and all that. Thankfully, DD's rash has been relatively mild. Despite having close to 35 spots only about 5 of them ever came to a head and crusted over. The others have faded away. Actually her biggest symptom/complaint has been fever.

The day after I posted my initial message I spent nearly 5 hours in the afternoon trying to bring her fever back down under 103. Baths, tylonal. Nothing was working. When Dh got off work we checked her temp (It had been an hour since her last dose of Tylonal) and her fever was up to 103.6.

We called our patient liaison and was adviced to take her in to the local children's hospital. The Liaison called ahead and they were ready for us. Quarentined 'clean' room, and all. The Doc confirmed chicken pox and gave us some German meds for her fever. Nurofen (an ibuprofin) and a suppository that we could use as a suppliment if her fever was still up and it wasn't time for another dose of Nurofen.

The Nurofen, at the very least, kept DD's fever in check. Praise God. Something the Tylonal seemed to have zero affect on.

Anyway, that was Friday.

Monday our Liaison called us again. She was filling out a report for the vaccine related chicken pox. Had some questions. It made me feel good that they were following up on her and reporting the case.

As an aside, I did get confirmation from my Mom that I, indeed, had chicken pox as a child. And should be immune. It does frustrate me that when we had initial reservations about my immunity, at the time of the shot, that the Ped didn't just suggest we come back after verifying my status. I really think they had no idea what to do with the already prepped needle of 'live' virus.

DD1 (8 years old)
DD2 (6 years old)
DD3 (4.5 years old)

Eternally missing DFS3 (stored safely in our hearts) and DFS1
Praying for Little R as she transitions into a new family.
May you always know God's love and His comfort.
BHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:29 AM   #10
cobluegirl
Moderator in Breaking the Chains

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

(((HUGS)))

ps fevers are good things. that means the body is fighting the infection.
Dd1-T1/3
Dd2-T2/1

~praying for healing and restoration in my marriage

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:58 AM   #11
Cherish

I am sorry you were confronted and ambushed with the military doc. I am even sorrier that your DD got the pox. This is the sort of stuff that just makes me shake my head, the way they ambushed you and then the way they treated you afterward when you told them.