Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has anyone tried Hello Fresh?

A new mom likes healthy foods and I'm too far away to bring a meal.
Has anyone tried Hello Fresh?
The website seemed kind of hurry up and buy it to me which makes me

I don't want this new mom to have to research how I can get good,hot food to her!
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone tried Hello Fresh?

I like hello fresh but not for a new mom- it's a lot of cooking. For example you get raw vegetables you have to peel, chop, and cook.

For a new mom I would do grub hub or instacart with prepared foods- for example a frozen lasagna, bagged salad, and garlic bread. Olive Garden catering delivery would be a nice option, too.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (01-03-2018), Katigre (01-03-2018), Little Forest (01-04-2018), Llee (01-13-2018), Quiteria (01-03-2018), squiddles (01-04-2018), Victorious (01-04-2018), Virginia (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 11:56 AM   #3
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I like it. For a new mom, I'd do Home Chef instead. Same concept, but you can choose two meals to cook and a few fruits or smoothie ingredients or some no cook salads. I found it a better fit since I didn't have to cook three times in a week but still got food.

You should be able to find coupon codes for any of the meal subscription sites at any time, so don't feel pressured to buy ASAP. In fact, many of them will give current subscribers free boxes offers to pass along to friends. I don't have any now or I'd hook you up. Maybe someone here does?
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #4
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
I like hello fresh but not for a new mom- it's a lot of cooking. For example you get raw vegetables you have to peel, chop, and cook.

For a new mom I would do grub hub or instacart with prepared foods- for example a frozen lasagna, bagged salad, and garlic bread. Olive Garden catering delivery would be a nice option, too.
And normally, I would go that route but she is more of the whole foods kind of eater. Very little bread and processed stuff and minimal meat.
The exhaustion of new baby is going to hit her upside the head the way only the first baby can and she's going to realize she needs to eat yesterday.

If anyone else has ideas, please feel free to add other thoughts.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:37 PM   #5
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we could brainstorm non-prepared meals that could be a grocery delivery, stuff that can be eaten cold like produce that doesn't need a big production...organic apples, baby carrots, etc. I discovered at either Aldi's or WalMart, as far as relatively pure items you can microwave or add hot water...you can buy frozen quinoa blends, frozen veggie blends with beans and chickpeas, plain brown rice in frozen or shelf-stable bags. Baby carrots and hummus. Cut platters of fruits and veggies. Yogurt, ricotta, cheese, cottage cheese, etc. were favorites of mine, though not everyone does that much dairy. Bags of frozen fruit for smoothies, though I needed dh to blend those so I didn't scare the baby. Cartons of organic bone broth and bags of frozen veggies made soup that seemed less scary than cans of processed soup. Salad isn't filling, but washed bagged salad can be eaten straight up, and can have sunflower seeds and lots of extra veggies if you get the right blend. Nut butter can be eaten with a spoon if desperate.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (01-03-2018), Beth1231 (01-04-2018), ECingMama (01-03-2018), Reva (01-04-2018), squiddles (01-04-2018), Virginia (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 06:52 PM   #6
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiteria View Post
Maybe we could brainstorm non-prepared meals that could be a grocery delivery, stuff that can be eaten cold like produce that doesn't need a big production...organic apples, baby carrots, etc. I discovered at either Aldi's or WalMart, as far as relatively pure items you can microwave or add hot water...you can buy frozen quinoa blends, frozen veggie blends with beans and chickpeas, plain brown rice in frozen or shelf-stable bags. Baby carrots and hummus. Cut platters of fruits and veggies. Yogurt, ricotta, cheese, cottage cheese, etc. were favorites of mine, though not everyone does that much dairy. Bags of frozen fruit for smoothies, though I needed dh to blend those so I didn't scare the baby. Cartons of organic bone broth and bags of frozen veggies made soup that seemed less scary than cans of processed soup. Salad isn't filling, but washed bagged salad can be eaten straight up, and can have sunflower seeds and lots of extra veggies if you get the right blend. Nut butter can be eaten with a spoon if desperate.
Agreed! Maybe spaghetti squash or other winter squashes or sweet potatoes- those are all so easy to cook! A veggie tray or fruit tray (she can throw away the dip if it's too processed for her) for snacking, maybe hummus with it for dipping.

I don't know if she'd go for it but Zatarains beans and rices are my go-to easy meal that we might make like someone else might make boxed mac and cheese- just something fast and easy and not too unhealthy. They have a black bean one and a red bean one- both are good. They are a processed food, but much better than many.

When I was looking into Instacart when we were on vacation, I could also get Costco and Whole Foods stuff delivered.

I have a great lentil brown rice casserole recipe that is whole foods that you could make a mix for and mail and she could just add water and crock pot it. Let me know if you'd like it.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (01-04-2018), ECingMama (01-03-2018), Quiteria (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 08:37 PM   #7
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know any of her local friends or family? I sent PayPal to a local person who picked up food and delivered it for me.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (01-03-2018), Beth1231 (01-04-2018), Llee (01-13-2018), Quiteria (01-03-2018), squiddles (01-04-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 10:22 PM   #8
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh, one of my favorite gifts was a gift certificate to a restaurant that cooked like that! Whole foods, vegan/vegetarian friendly, etc. Turns out they offered take-out! So we called them to order a meal for each of us, and they boxed it up all nice and hot, and dh picked it up while I just laid my head on the table and cried happy tears. (That was at the so-tired-I'm nearly-delirious stage when I could have fallen asleep at that table if only my stomach hadn't felt like a ravenous lion was trying to free itself.)

I know that's not as much bang for your buck as groceries or such, but it was so, so good, and exactly what I needed to feel nourished.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (01-03-2018), Beth1231 (01-04-2018), Llee (01-13-2018), squiddles (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 09:37 AM   #9
Beth1231
Deactivated

Yes,please,Erin that sounds perfect!
These are some wonderful ideas!
This couple moved out of state one year ago and have yet to make close friends. Absolutely zero family in their state.
Now to research the Whole Foods places nearby I really hope there is at least one.
I did send a note to her husband,we’ll see if/when he responds.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (01-04-2018), squiddles (01-04-2018)
The Following User Says they are praying for Beth1231:
mommychem (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 09:57 AM   #10
Aerynne
Rose Garden

3/4 c. brown lentils
1/2 c. brown rice
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder

Put in crock pot with 3 c. water and cook on high for 3-ish hours. Add salt as desired before or after cooking (I use about a tsp of salt before cooking but I like salt a lot).

Another thought- a lot of Indian restaurants have a lot of whole foods and vegetarian foods (just make sure they have brown rice). If there is Rumbi where they live, they have yummy bowls with brown rice, vegetables, and meat or tofu.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (01-04-2018), Quiteria (01-04-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 12:46 PM   #11
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw an ad on Facebook for Sun Basket, it's a vegan meal subscription service and they're offering $45 off to new customers. No idea if it's any good or a good value, though.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (01-08-2018), Beth1231 (01-08-2018), Quiteria (01-08-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 05:31 AM   #12
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute

My roommate does Sun Basket - it seems to be pretty similar to Hello Fresh (which we've both tried) in terms of meal prep time and energy.
Beth1231 (01-12-2018), Soliloquy (01-14-2018)