Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 02-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #16
FaithfilledGranolaChick

Default Re: What's wrong with Sugar? Convince me it's poison, please?

Sugar has been my biggest problem this pregnancy.... I've been craving it.

So what do you all use in baking and stuff instead of sugar? (like muffins and cookies)
Old 02-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #17
April G
Deactivated

April G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond repute

I was using xylitol for awhile, but it just wasn't the same as my organic raw sugar.

And yes, Canadian coke is SOOOO addictive!!!

And I capitalized Sugar because it's capital worthy in my life right now.

April G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #18
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfilledGranolaChick

So what do you all use in baking and stuff instead of sugar? (like muffins and cookies)
maple syrup or honey. Sometimes I use Rapadura/sucanat (I know there's a difference between the two, but they're so similar . . . )
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #19
FaithfilledGranolaChick

Thanks! I am going to find some rapadura or sucanat. I've been trying to find some for a while... I'll check the health food store.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #20
Garland
Rose Trellis

Garland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfilledGranolaChick

maple syrup or honey. Sometimes I use Rapadura/sucanat (I know there's a difference between the two, but they're so similar . . . )
There are some recipes that call for apple sauce as a sugar substitute.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #21
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my story and I blame it mostly on sugar. I got sick on January 26 with influenza type A. I know that I suppressed my immune system so much with all the sugar that I ingested during the holiday season right before that. It made me suceptible to the most awful illness I've ever had. You think the flu - hey no big deal - a week or two down and then back to health right? No not me. I didn't recover for three months. THREE MONTHS! I not only had the influenza with all the sore throat, high fever (104-105), body aches, awful cough, but I had complications with diarrhea for one whole month, unrelenting vomitting, a ruptured eardrum, low sodium, low potassium, and all the other electrolytes messed up. I was in bed most of the time, in the ER at least three times, one ambulance ride, admitted to the hospital on Palm Sunday weekend (March) and countless doctor visits, prescriptions, supplements, vitamins etc. I didn't fully recover my strength until the end of April. I still have leftover side effects from that illness now a year later. My ears have never been the same and I'm slowly trying to build up my immune system because when I get too tired the sore throat and feverish feeling comes back. It was not only hard on me, it was difficult for my family and my children. I was unable to be a wife and mother at all. Believe me, I've learned my lesson. This holiday season I refused to budge on the sugar issue - I hardly had any at all. AND I'm sitting here at the computer WELL this year. Cake, icecream, pie, candy, etc are not worth the illness that I went through. Just my

and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
happyhousewife (02-03-2010)
Old 02-06-2009, 06:59 PM   #22
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheadeja

For me, getting off sugar has been harder than quitting smoking.....
I believe it. Sugar is EVERYWHERE, it is the #1 socially acceptable drug. If you drink too much, there are support groups and people who will cheer you on while you quit. Same w/ smoking. If you decide to cut out sugar, you really have to go it alone because your family will and keep offering it to you.

Once you get off sugar, your eyes are truly opened. You see adults placating their children w/ sugar and you know it's an addictive chemical and it breaks your heart.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #23
Emerald Orchid
Rose Garden

Emerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond repute

I'm slowly coming off sugar. I now use Sucanat, honey, agave nectar of fruit purees. But tonight I concluded that if I don't want to eat sugar, I can't even have it in the house - I made cupcakes for a baby shower tomorrow and use normal sugar, and of course, I had to have a cupcake! And now my cold feels even worse, I can't stop coughing. When will I learn? :/

I don't know if I'll ever manage to be totally sugar free, especially outside of the house, it's such an enticing and available drug.

French-Canadian / Reader / TrailRunner / T4 / INTj / Wife to S
SAHM to 3 DS
Z (8.5) M (6.5) and T (3.5)
Adopting from China
Emerald Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Emerald Orchid For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #24
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

Organiquegal - great topic!

So is it just sucrose that's addictive and suppresses your immune system, or all sugars (fructose, dextrose, lactose, etc.)? I see that some of you are replacing sugar with other sweeteners such as honey or agave - so is it just cane and beet sugar that are the culprits?

And the big question for me - does anyone know WHY sugar causes these problems? Links, please if you have them!

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #25
NovelMama
Rose Garden

Our sweet family, 2017

NovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond repute

When you eat sugar, your cells go into panic mode. Your body manufactures a chemical akin to morphine to calm your system down from the panic. That's why sugar is addictive--you're actually a druggie, a morphine addict.

I need to get that Sugar Blues book. I did *really* well after AJ was born and I first started going to my kick-butt nutritionist. I don't know when I started slipping, but I've turned into a stress eater over the last couple months, and nothing but sugar makes me happy. It depresses me to think how awful PJ's system is from what I've eaten while BFing her. AJ's system is so much cleaner, I'm sure.

I use agave when I bake. Agave doesn't affect your blood sugar level. My mom recently found a beet-based sugar that is supposed to be great for diabetics--I can't remember why, but I remember my nutritionist being totally stoked because it subs cup for cup for real sugar and is the same consistency, as opposed to agave which is a liquid.
Inspirational Women's Fiction author
Children's storybook author
Homeschool coach
NovelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NovelMama For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #26
April G
Deactivated

April G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond repute

Everything I'm reading is saying that it is the refined sugars that are the issue, and that raw and/or organic sugars (whether they are cane, beet, or some other fruit, honey, etc...) are not the culprit. Is that really true?!

April G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #27
Katiebug
Rose Trellis

Katiebug is a splendid one to beholdKatiebug is a splendid one to beholdKatiebug is a splendid one to beholdKatiebug is a splendid one to beholdKatiebug is a splendid one to beholdKatiebug is a splendid one to beholdKatiebug is a splendid one to beholdKatiebug is a splendid one to beholdKatiebug is a splendid one to behold

Organic cane sugar has pretty much an identical effect on my body as white table sugar. It's essentially the same thing, IME. Raw sugar is unbleached, more "natural", etc, but carries the same addictive properties.

J June 2003
R June 2005
A July 2010
Katiebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #28
rheadeja
Rose Bouquet

rheadeja has much to be proud ofrheadeja has much to be proud ofrheadeja has much to be proud ofrheadeja has much to be proud ofrheadeja has much to be proud ofrheadeja has much to be proud ofrheadeja has much to be proud ofrheadeja has much to be proud ofrheadeja has much to be proud ofrheadeja has much to be proud of

My BIL's aunt actually thinks sugar is a food group - my BIL and his family eat very very minimal amounts of raw sugar or agave and one day aunt was over and asking for sugar in her tea - she was offered agave or stevia, a discussion ensued and ended with "but you NEED sugar, just like protein and carbs"

SIL and BIL ended the conversation right there because they knew it would make no difference.......

My biggest thing is my post dinner chocolate - I get twitchy if I don't have it....but it's organic, dark and fair trade - so it's ok right?

Right?

rheadeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #29
newday
Deactivated

newday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond repute

I love this thread. I eat sugars of many kinds, some bad, and can often feel the negative effects.
I have to say though that understanding a bit about manufacturing processes makes me hesitant to recommend alternatives to sugar. Honey is amazing, but I love to see it in it's purest unheated form, and when the bees making it aren't fed - guess - sugar, of course - boosts honey production, and feeds the bees in lean times (I can't agree with anyone that this is a good thing)
Monsanto just came out with a GMO beet root that is resistant to all kinds of pesticides and herbicides. I think you would be hard pressed to find beet sugar that has been raised with any care or awareness for real needs (as in other than lining a corporate giant's pockets).
I would like to think that when I purchase a fairly-traded, organically grown sweetener it really is just that, but someone with more information than I might be able to enlighten me.

I often get Rapadura (I could honestly eat it by the spoonful because it is just so good) for a sugar, but it does take us a long time to get through the bag.
I love the YS Farms honey, I use it for coughs, cooking, salves, haircare and moisturizer.
I will mash up dates and add some to "sweet" quick breads (I would use bits but not everyone in the family likes the texture)
Dried (unsulphered) fruits add lots of sweetness to all sorts of cooking.

-- (I am hoping to start keeping bees this spring!! YEA)

newday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to newday For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #30
Chris3jam

Quote:
Originally Posted by organiquegal
Everything I'm reading is saying that it is the refined sugars that are the issue, and that raw and/or organic sugars (whether they are cane, beet, or some other fruit, honey, etc...) are not the culprit. Is that really true?!

Refined sugar (BTW, white flour has the same effect as white sugar, according to your body) is an extremely fast absorbed simple carb., which is one reason your body goes into "panic" mode. Too much, too fast. It can cause diabetes, trouble with the liver, trouble with the pancreas, suppress the immune system (for longer than 4 hours, btw. . . it's closer to 7, I think). The "unrefined" sugars, depending on what they are, are different in that they may contain pectin, fiber, other sugars, etc., that slow the absorption. Diabetics can have tupelo honey, because of its sugar makeup, for instance. The more complex the sugar, the less of a negative impact on the body it will have.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: