Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 02-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
April G
Deactivated

April G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's wrong with Sugar? Convince me it's poison, please?

I was able to stop eating all artificial sweeteners and never looked back. I read a lot of info about how terrible it was for me, all the terrible symptoms it causes, and I can't eat it now even if I want to anymore than I can have a glass of bleach with my dinner.

I was able to stop eating meat, chicken and fish and never looked back. I am aware of the infections and antibiotics and hormones and terrible living conditions animals are subjected to, and I can't eat it now even if I want to anymore than I can pull roadkill off the road and eat it for dinner.

The one vice I have left that I REALLY need to eliminate out of my diet is sugar. I can't convince myself it's all that bad for me. Yes, I've read the sugar addict's recovery program. Yes, I've seen the weight loss shows where they dump mountains of sugar to show the comparison of equivalent sugar content to different foods. Doesn't phase me! I only eat organic sugar at home, but I have no problem grabbing a bottle of coke, or a bag of skittles when I'm out. I don't buy cases of the stuff, but I do end up at a store pretty much every day, and inevitably I pick up a coke or something...

So bring it on... give me your worst, your most disgusting, your most eye-opening, your most disturbing statistics and stories and analogies of why I shouldn't eat sugar anymore. Please. Maybe it's the processing of sugar that's so gross? Maybe it's the effect it's having on the environment. Please weigh in... My health depends on it!
April G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #2
HummusDip

Default Re: What's wrong with Sugar? Convince me it's poison, please?

I've read that something like 1 tsp of cane sugar supresses your immune system for 4 hours!!!!!!!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #3
Nightingale
Deactivated

Nightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have much info but one thing I've read is that one TEASPOON of sugar lowers your immune system for 4 hours.
This is something I've told my girls in explanations about why sugary snacks are just a treat, why they can't have more, etc.

Well, a few weeks ago I had strep throat. And I received quite a lecture from my 5 year old. you see, the weekend before I'd gone to the grocery store hungry and left with 2 packages of oreos. And ate most of them within a couple days. also some more sugar thrown in there I think. So my 5 year old told me that i ate too much sugar, too many of those cookies, and that's why I was sick.

Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
Nightingale
Deactivated

Nightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond repute

ha, we posted at the same time
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
April G
Deactivated

April G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting! I did NOT know that...
April G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #6
SansSouci
Rose Garden

SansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard that stat before, too, from multiple sources. And I do know that whenever I eat a decent amount of sugar, I do get sick.

P.S. I don't have a problem with sugar as an ingredient. But I don't want to eat a whole lot of it. MY big problem with sugary things is the non-sugar ingredients (HFCS, etc.).
DS 12 y/o GF/CF/etc. & Recovering from Autism

I Juice Plus+ and sharing it with others. Fruits & veggies in a capsule or soft-chew!
SansSouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

this might not help with all kinds, but it should with some

http://www.sucrose.com/bonechar.html
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
MamaPepper
Rose Garden

MamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond repute

LOL. . .I had to reread your title a couple times. . . First I was like "Who's Sugar"? and then I was like. . . "Why would you WANT sugar to be poisoned!"

I'm punchy. .

At any rate, I do know that sugar is evil and a REALLY two-faced friend of mine. . . no advice, just wanted to bump this up a little for ya and ! (normally I would but that's what kills me in the sugar realm!)

Photographer & Designer

My PhotographyMy Webpage
MamaPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #9
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

Pepper - I did the same thing. I think b/c "Sugar" is capitalized I thought it was her dog or something.

I like Coke. Especially Canadian Coke.

I'll slink away...
canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #10
MamaPepper
Rose Garden

MamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond reputeMamaPepper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiyank
Pepper - I did the same thing. I think b/c "Sugar" is capitalized I thought it was her dog or something.

I'll slink away...
That's why I thought it too!!

Photographer & Designer

My PhotographyMy Webpage
MamaPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #11
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'll slink away...
You like it because it's full of sugar
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:23 AM   #12
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaKristin
Quote:

I'll slink away...
You like it because it's full of sugar
Yes. Real sugar. Not HFCS.
canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #13
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Read this book. You will NOT ever want to eat sugar again, I promise. You will still have to overcome the addiction (sugar is highly addictive) but your brain will at least know why you are trying so hard.

The history of sugar is tainted w/ blood.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #14
Garland
Rose Trellis

Garland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond repute

I have been addicted to sugar for a very long time and it has taken a toll on my health. I have worked to get rid of it and felt much better, but during the holidays I got back into it and am still struggling. Not as bad as before, but still

For me, it has contributed to problems with yeast (candida overgrowth throughout my system). When thinking about the sugar as "food" for the nasty little organisms living inside me who want to multiply and destroy my health - that is motivating for me to see it differently and avoid it.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #15
rheadeja
Rose Bouquet

rheadeja has much to be proud ofrheadeja has much to be proud ofrheadeja has much to be proud ofrheadeja has much to be proud ofrheadeja has much to be proud ofrheadeja has much to be proud ofrheadeja has much to be proud ofrheadeja has much to be proud ofrheadeja has much to be proud ofrheadeja has much to be proud of

For me, getting off sugar has been harder than quitting smoking.....

rheadeja is offline   Reply With Quote