Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 04-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Eczema info UPDATED

This is a really interesting thread on MDC about Eczema and healing the gut...thought I would share the link...

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=289118

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:17 PM   #2
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eczema info UPDATED

Here is a little blurp I got off the above thread today. too interesting to not post.
Quote:
"ETIOLOGY
The specific cause of this superficial inflammatory repsonse involving the epidermis is unknown. Eczema is not a distinct disease entity but it is rather afiliated with disorders such as atopic and nummular dermatitis. It is frequently associated with a personal or family history of allergies to foods such as milk, fish, and eggs. Transformation's clinical experience shows that it also commonly occurs with Paras, the body type that has difficulty breaking down starches and sugars. Inhalant allergens rarely cause this condition. It is commonly found in children but also occurs in adults. Children with eczema, however, tend to later develop other allergic conditions, most often hay fever or asthma. Factors that exacerbate ezcema include sudden temperature change, humidity, psychological stress, fibers, detergents, and perfumes.
RATIONALE
This condition can be attributable to an intestinal dysbiosis, a diruption of the normal bacterial flora of the gut with a disproportionately high concentration of unfriendly bacteria in the mouth, skin, intestinal tract, and vagina. Candida is a necessary bacterial component of normal flora. It co-exists in a balance with acidophilus, the friendly bacterium. If an imbalance occurs and Candida over-populates acidophilis to the extent that it penetrates the walls of the large intestines, it can enable undigested lipids and proteins to leak out of the walls. This can instigate food allergies and promote ezcema. Consequently, enzyme supplementation along with a probiotic can help restore the balance of microflora and ensure complete digestion and nutrient absorption of foods...
NUTRITION
It is very important to avoid those foods that are known to be problematic for the individual."

I'm not sure why they refer to Candida as a bacterium rather than a yeast, but essentially they are saying "leaky gut" is the cause of ezcema. Of course, one might figure that they have come up with this to sell their products.... but there are a lot of sources that seem to be saying the same thing.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
Old 04-29-2006, 06:42 PM   #3
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

ok, i'm going to check that out when i can, but a question: is it common for eczema to flare up seasonally? my sister has this weird rash-like thing on her legs, it itches and she has some really rough scale-y looking patches, but she only gets it in the winter... in the summer, they slowly heal and are fine... do you think that's eczema?

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:37 PM   #4
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

L's eczema flares when the seasons change...so what your sis has could be...hard to say..each person's reaction is different.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

Old 10-01-2006, 05:51 AM   #5
joyfulmomof2
Rose Trellis

joyfulmomof2 will become famous soon enough

If what you quoted is saying that acidophilus can prevent unneccessary proteins from escaping through intestinal walls couldn't acidophilus cure or prevent celiacs disease?

How do I give acidophilus to my little eczema girl - nursing infant?

I have the product AcidophiKidz, but I have not given it to my older ds nor have I taken it myself. It says to take it with food, but has anyone else used this product? If we eat and then it is about an hour later before we take the product is that fine? Or would it be fine to take it first thing in the morning with our vitamins right before breakfast?

Homeschooling my two sweet kiddos:

Dino - 10 & Princess - 7
joyfulmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:29 AM   #6
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot about this thread...an update on my sister: she ordered the eczema stuff that was recommended on MDT...i thelped a little, but not a huge difference. she finally tried the arbonne baby care stuff: the wash and the oil. it's been amazing - I can't believe it. i'll have to post pictures when I get them. there's a few scars that are still fading, but it's healing remarkably well.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:18 PM   #7
joyfulmomof2
Rose Trellis

joyfulmomof2 will become famous soon enough

yay!!!

Homeschooling my two sweet kiddos:

Dino - 10 & Princess - 7
joyfulmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:33 PM   #8
anitajoye
Rose Bouquet

Making it through imperfectly...

anitajoye has a spectacular aura aboutanitajoye has a spectacular aura aboutanitajoye has a spectacular aura about

I have been rubbing coconut oil on mine... and it is slowly improving...
Old 02-22-2007, 12:27 PM   #9
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation

Talk to me about corn and eczema?
My mom said that about 80% of the infants seen in the place she works with eczema had theirs clear up with the illimination of corn and any products with corn. That's just her experience though in her area. She said that was the first thing they recommended when moms brought their babies in with eczema.
My sons eczema wasnt so bad when I took out dairy but it is almost completely gone now that we are limiting our corn intake after talking to my mom. My dd's eczema has completely disapeared since she doesnt eat any corn, corn syrup, or maltowhatever.

And wouldnt you know, my dd is sensitive to coconut so I really needed to find a way to get rid of the eczema instead of just sooth it.
Im not on a computer where I can click on unknown links but any information about corn and eczema would be really helpful.
me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:18 PM   #10
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

Default Eczema info UPDATED

me, check out the allergy forum...lots of info there.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

Old 03-29-2007, 04:14 PM   #11
Littledisciples
Rose Garden

My sweet girls who have given me strength to endure

Littledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for this I am sure their is a connection too. My DD has chronic constipation her bowls work slower then everyone else due to being premature. So when she is bad her ezcema is bad. We also use only 100%cotton that helps a ton. I do give her acedophulus too.

Mom of Kayla 2000, Katie 2001 and Kira 2004
Step Mom of B girl 1995, S girl 1998, J boy 2001, J girl 2002, M girl 2002, K girl 2003, S girl 2004

Grandma to J Dec 2014, J May 2017, G November 2018

Sometimes our life is crazy but I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Resting with Jesus Seth, Mercy, Love, Serenity, Hope, Whisper and Clare bear
Littledisciples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #12
LittleSweetPeas

just now seeing this. thanks.

interesting link especially as I had read that c/s babies flora in their intestinal tract is different from vag births. My one vag birth was the only kid to not deal with allergies.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:17 PM   #13
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

Don't beat yourself up. All three of mine were vag births and have allergies..I have none and we didn't know dh had any till the kids showed up with them..and they are a collection of things that he doesn't tolerate well.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

Old 12-04-2008, 08:01 PM   #14
allycat

Calendula works excellently for eczema! It is awesome. Both of my kids have had eczema as well as myself and it has worked for all of us. My dd had it all over her neck, back and torso, and after 2 weeks on hydrocortisone cream by perscription, she was getting worse After 1 day of calendula oil, she was 75 % better! It is doing much better and I think that it will be pretty much gone soon. My son also suffered with eczema constantly and we never even used the prescribed meds., but just used calendula and it cleared up in the morning. It is awesome! The oil or the cream works great. Make sure that it doesn't have anything added though, like chemicals or petroleum or such. We all get it mainly in the winter.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:24 AM   #15
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation

Im gonna have to look for some calendula! ETA: Drats! Its related to the ragweed family, which is one of our eczema triggers.

Im also gonna have to sign up to be able to read the link. Since i last posted here I too have found that healing the gut is key. We take calcium benotonite clay, yogurt, and sometimes straight olive oil and it has helped tons.
Its gotten rid of everyones eczema except for one of my kids, who's comes and goes still.
I was just recently wondering about healing our guts since I have noticed that what we are using keeps the eczema away but one day without one and its back instantly. Wondering about how to heal the gut permanently
me is offline   Reply With Quote